Re: Erroneous CQ/ITU Zone Information

  • w4fal
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
      This is no different that ordering QSL cards with missing or incorrect information on them. I get cards all the time without zones, grid squares, counties, and have gotten a few US cards without the state on the card.....

      It doesn't surprise me that some folks can't get it right electronically either.

      As Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does"

      Frank Lynch, W4FAL
    • Wes
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
        That is definitely true and the reason why it needs to be added to LoTW to correct it or at least flag it is wrong to the user.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
          At 03:07 PM 6/6/2011, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

          >I reported the issue to the ARRL the week that LotW went live.
          >
          >Flagging zones that are inconsistent with the specified DXCC entity is
          >straightforward, and would improve the quality of subsequently entered
          >data.

          Note that zone information is given when you define a station location.
          If you get those wrong, you can fix the station location, re-sign the
          QSOs, and re-upload the log. That will fix the confirmations.

          I don't think the issue of invalid zone data is why other awards don't
          accept LoTW confirmations.

          As far as your suggestion goes, the current version of TrustedQSL has
          the ability to restrict the zones that gets selected when defining a
          location, down to the ability to only select appropriate zones for
          admininstrative subdivisions such as US states and Canadian provinces.
          All you have to do to make this work is include the appropriate zone
          data in the TrustedQSL configuration file. However, ARRL apparently
          believes that forcing someone to choose the correct zone information is
          apparently restricting what they can do, with roving stations being one
          example. I think that's a rare problem that's easily fixed by setting
          no zone numbers, but ARRL wants to allow people to choose. They also
          expressed the opinion that this is a crutch that should be fixed as
          part of a general overhaul of TrustedQSL.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
            On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 07:40, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

            > no zone numbers, but ARRL wants to allow people to choose. They also
            > expressed the opinion that this is a crutch that should be fixed as
            > part of a general overhaul of TrustedQSL.

            That's rich coming from HQ, given that you're the only one that's
            actually *worked* on TQSL in *years*.

            Garbage in, garbage out. If they can't see that TQSL should default
            to the right thing .... yeesh.

          • Gary AL9A
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
              Ah the joy of living in AK. The zone is always 01 whether for CQ or ITU!

              Gary AL9A

              Sent from my iTouch

              On Jun 8, 2011, at 4:21 AM, "Wes" <wes_quinn@...> wrote:

              That is definitely true and the reason why it needs to be added to LoTW to correct it or at least flag it is wrong to the user.

              --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "w4fal" <w4fal@...> wrote:

              > This is no different that ordering QSL cards with missing or incorrect information on them. I get cards all the time without zones, grid squares, counties, and have gotten a few US cards without the state on the card.....
              >
              > It doesn't surprise me that some folks can't get it right electronically either.
              >
              > As Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does"
              >
              > Frank Lynch, W4FAL

            • Glenn Wyant
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011

                Same with Ontario zone 04   cq and itu
                 Subject: Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: Erroneous CQ/ITU Zone Information

                Ah the joy of living in AK. The zone is always 01 whether for CQ or ITU!

                Gary AL9A

                Sent from my iTouch

                On Jun 8, 2011, at 4:21 AM, "Wes" <wes_quinn@...> wrote:

                ._,___
              • Bert - W0RSB
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
                  The STATE and COUNTY in your TQSL station location entries are set by you and can be changed at any time. Still considered "useful" for WAS though.