Re: [ARRL-LOTW] (unknown)

  • Pete Smith
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2004
      At 12:12 AM 5/1/04, Art RX9TX wrote:
      >I did not get it, if I use LoTW I'll pay 15-25 cents for each applied
      >QSO and additional 15 cents for every QSO over 120?

      I don't think it was written very clearly. I believe that the intention
      was to compare the cost using LOTW with the cost using paper QSL cards. If
      I'm right, then the 15-25 cents per credit under LOTW compares with 15
      cents per paper QSL card (over the first 120), and is *not* in addition to
      it. Hopefully there will be some further clarification when the system
      becomes active on Monday.

      73, Pete N4ZR
      The World HF Contest Station Database
      was updated on April 26, 2004
      2706 contest stations at
      www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
    • Ben Deschacht
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2004
        Is it already official the system gets live or is this based on
        rumours.

        73 de ON7BS

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
        > At 12:12 AM 5/1/04, Art RX9TX wrote:
        > >I did not get it, if I use LoTW I'll pay 15-25 cents for each
        applied
        > >QSO and additional 15 cents for every QSO over 120?
        >

        > I don't think it was written very clearly. I believe that the
        intention
        > was to compare the cost using LOTW with the cost using paper QSL
        cards. If
        > I'm right, then the 15-25 cents per credit under LOTW compares
        with 15
        > cents per paper QSL card (over the first 120), and is *not* in
        addition to
        > it. Hopefully there will be some further clarification when the
        system
        > becomes active on Monday.
        >

        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        > The World HF Contest Station Database
        > was updated on April 26, 2004
        > 2706 contest stations at
        > www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
      • Gary Stilwell
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2004
          ARRL says going live on Wed May 5th.

          KI6T

          > Is it already official the system gets live or is this based on
          > rumours.
          >

          > 73 de ON7BS
          >
          > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
          > > At 12:12 AM 5/1/04, Art RX9TX wrote:
          > > >I did not get it, if I use LoTW I'll pay 15-25 cents for each
          > applied
          > > >QSO and additional 15 cents for every QSO over 120?
          > >

          > > I don't think it was written very clearly. I believe that the
          > intention
          > > was to compare the cost using LOTW with the cost using paper QSL
          > cards. If
          > > I'm right, then the 15-25 cents per credit under LOTW compares
          > with 15
          > > cents per paper QSL card (over the first 120), and is *not* in
          > addition to
          > > it. Hopefully there will be some further clarification when the
          > system
          > > becomes active on Monday.
          > >

          > > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > > The World HF Contest Station Database
          > > was updated on April 26, 2004
          > > 2706 contest stations at
          > > www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Pete Smith
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2004
            At 10:45 AM 5/1/04, you wrote:

            >Is it already official the system gets live or is this based on
            >rumours.

            Official, according to the ARRL Letter this
            week. <http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/04/0430/>. I mis-stated the date,
            though -- it's Wednesday, May 5.

            73, Pete N4ZR
            The World HF Contest Station Database
            was updated on April 26, 2004
            2706 contest stations at
            www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
          • Bob Daniels
            Message 5 of 26 , May 5, 2004
              --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Art RX9TX <rx9tx@e...> wrote:
              > Hello ,
              >
              > > The application fee for a basic DXCC Award is $10 and includes up
              to 120
              > > card credits. Applicants pay 15 cents per each additional card
              applied. A
              > > similar fee structure applies for those going the LoTW route,
              Mills says,
              > > and you won't have to pay any additional fees on the DXCC side.
              The site
              > > provides for secure payment via credit card.
              >
              > I did not get it, if I use LoTW I'll pay 15-25 cents for each
              applied
              > QSO and additional 15 cents for every QSO over 120?
              >
              > --
              > 73...Art RX9TX 01.05.2004 4:08 UTC
              >
              > "A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the
              rope and be free." [Nikos Kazantzakis]

              Hi Art. I had a long e-mail exchange with the folks at the ARRL
              concerning the fees. This is what I think I understood them to say.
              There were some contradictions in the messages they sent me so I'm
              not sure this is 100% right.

              The ARRL looks at DXCC and LogBook as two completely different
              entities.

              DXCC is an entity that has its own fee structure, which for all
              intents and purposes has not changed.
              Those fees are:
              1.) First submission - Application fee $10.00 and .15 cents for
              each QSO over the 120 max allowed.
              2.) Subsequent submissions – Application fee $10.00, Surcharge
              $10 and .15 cents for each QSO over the 100 max allowed.

              LogBook is a new entity with its own fee structure. It is an
              entirely new revenue stream for the ARRL. If you want to use it, it
              will cost you .15 cents to .25 cents per LoTW credit.

              ----------------------
              Example:
              Lets say you have 200 LoTW credits that you would like to claim. The
              cost to you would be .15 to .25 cents per credit. (It can vary
              because you are allowed to buy credits in advance of having actual
              confirmations). Lets just say in this case .25 cents a credit. That
              would put the cost to you at $50.00 for the LoTW credits. You are
              now done dealing with the LoTW entity.

              Now lets say this is your first submission of the calendar year of
              any kind to the DXCC entity. And, Lets say that you want to submit
              200 QSOs. They could be paper QSLs or LoTW credits the DXCC entity
              does not care which it is. The cost to you would be a $10.00
              Application fee plus .15 cents for each QSO/Credit over the 120 max
              allowed. (80 * .15 = $12.00). That would put the cost to you at
              $22.00 for claiming 200 DXCC QSOs/Credits. You are now done dealing
              with the DXCC entity.

              Now lets say this was a subsequent submission to the DXCC entity and,
              that you want to submit 200 QSO's. The cost to you would be a $10.00
              Application fee plus a $10.00 Surcharge plus .15 cents for every
              QSO/Credit over the 100 max allowed. (100 * .15 = $15.00). That
              would put the cost to you at $35.00 for claiming 200 DXCC
              QSOs/Credits. You are now done dealing with the DXCC entity.

              Note: According to the ARRL – "For a limited time, you may make a
              second (or subsequent) application in the same year with no $10
              surcharge".

              First Submission total cost to you for claiming 200 LoTW credits and
              electing to use them in one submission to DXCC would be $72.00.
              ($22.00 DXCC + $50.00 LoTW)

              Subsequent submission total cost to you for claiming 200 LoTW credits
              and electing to use them in one submission to DXCC would be $85.00.
              ($35.00 DXCC + $50.00 LoTW)
              ----------------------

              According to the ARRL : "Logbook is an alternative to spending
              postage collecting cards. It is not intended as an alternative to
              submitting paper cards, although it can be used in that way."

              The big benefit provided by LoTW is less money spent acquiring QSLs.
              This is a great deal for newer Hams that have not collected many
              paper QSLs yet. They stand to save a bundle on postage and printing
              cards. Older more established Hams that already have a lot of paper
              QSLs in hand would do better to just submit them the old fashion
              way. The only real LoTW benefit for the Older Ham is if they are
              just starting out on the DXCC chase, or they happen to have cards
              that they would rather not risk via Post/UPS. If a Ham is looking at
              LogBook as an alternative to risking submission of his cards via
              Post/UPS he should be prepared to pay the LogBook fees.

              Bob K8KWT
            • Joe Subich, K4IK
              Message 6 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Art RX9TX <rx9tx@e...> wrote:

                >> The application fee for a basic DXCC Award is $10 and includes up
                >> to 120 card credits. Applicants pay 15 cents per each additional
                >> card applied. A similar fee structure applies for those going the
                >> LoTW route, Mills says, and you won't have to pay any additional
                >> fees on the DXCC side. The site provides for secure payment via
                >> credit card.
                >
                > I did not get it, if I use LoTW I'll pay 15-25 cents for each
                > applied QSO and additional 15 cents for every QSO over 120?

                IF one can believe Wayne Mills, there will be a discount to the
                DXCC fees for credits from LotW. Here is an e-mail exchange I
                had with him very early in the process.

                I hope they're not backing away from that now ... after being told
                that I will have to pay the current PER QSO rate to get over 1000
                QSOs from my old awards (CW/Phone/Mixed/5BDXCC/160 DXCC) converted
                and credited in the new record format because I've been inactive
                since BC (before computerization). With 1800+/- band/entities
                depending on card and LotW returns in the next couple of months,
                the 1000 old credits represent a substantial part of "getting
                current." I was looking forward using LotW credits, where possible,
                as one way to minimize "bite."

                If ARRL are planning to charge on both ends, LotW and the entire
                DXCC program are in for a very quick and PAINFUL death.

                73,

                ... Joe, K4IK (ex- AD8I, W8IK)

              • Darryl Wagoner
                Message 7 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                  Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON
                  Past President - Nashua Area Radio Club
                  "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

                  I think that comment is totally uncalled for! It is very insulting to
                  Wayne Mills and shouldn't have been said without supporting evidence
                  that Wayne is untrustworthy. It seems to me that Wayne has done a very
                  good job and doesn't deserve those types of comments.

                  73
                  Darryl Wagoner WA1GON
                • FireBrick
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                    In a couple of hours, these questions will be answered.
                    But for those who can't wait....I'll try.
                    (boy I hope I'm right, my memory isn't as good as it never was)

                    First off.
                    I was one of the beta testers. Yes there is a sliding fee scale for the number of LoTW
                    country credits you are submitting.
                    I 'THINK' you get the same "1 free submission" a year which includes up to 120 qsls.
                    I 'DON'T THINK' the DXCC differentiates between a hard card or LoTW submission in this
                    regard.
                    I don't have my notes available so I'm NOT carving this in stone.

                    Second
                    If you already have submitted to DXCC and have an account which contains records of qsls
                    submitted, you don't HAVE to do anything with these.
                    LoTW knows what they are and you should be able to see them listed.
                    Very early submissions may not have info such as band or mode.
                    The records from long ago only contained the Call, Date, Time, and whether it was credited
                    as Mixed or SSB. As DXCC improved it's software that info was recorded.
                    Later submission recorded the other information.

                    Third
                    While testing, there was the provision to purchase a number of credits before hand.
                    I can't remember the exact increments but the large increments were definitely sufficient.
                    I bought 100 using my credit card on a 'Secure' system.
                    I still had 70 left the last time I looked.

                    From that, you can do the math and see I had approx. 30 LoTW qsl's that I had not been
                    able to get qsls for.
                    Hence my Challenge total just got a nice jump at a minimal expense.

                    > >> The application fee for a basic DXCC Award is $10 and includes up
                    > >> to 120 card credits. Applicants pay 15 cents per each additional
                    > >> card applied. A similar fee structure applies for those going the
                    > >> LoTW route, Mills says, and you won't have to pay any additional
                    > >> fees on the DXCC side. The site provides for secure payment via
                    > >> credit card.
                    > >
                    > > I did not get it, if I use LoTW I'll pay 15-25 cents for each
                    > > applied QSO and additional 15 cents for every QSO over 120?
                    >
                    > IF one can believe Wayne Mills, there will be a discount to the
                    > DXCC fees for credits from LotW. Here is an e-mail exchange I
                    > had with him very early in the process.
                    >
                    > I hope they're not backing away from that now ... after being told
                    > that I will have to pay the current PER QSO rate to get over 1000
                    > QSOs from my old awards (CW/Phone/Mixed/5BDXCC/160 DXCC) converted
                    > and credited in the new record format because I've been inactive
                    > since BC (before computerization). With 1800+/- band/entities
                    > depending on card and LotW returns in the next couple of months,
                    > the 1000 old credits represent a substantial part of "getting
                    > current." I was looking forward using LotW credits, where possible,
                    > as one way to minimize "bite."
                    >
                    > If ARRL are planning to charge on both ends, LotW and the entire
                    > DXCC program are in for a very quick and PAINFUL death.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > ... Joe, K4IK (ex- AD8I, W8IK)

                  • k5ww_2004
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "FireBrick" <w9ol@b...> wrote:
                      > In a couple of hours, these questions will be answered.

                      How about: at the end of the week? :-)

                      Quote:

                      The system is undergoing a significant software upgrade and will be
                      off-line until approximately 1300Z, Thu, May 6.

                      Unquote.

                      73,

                      Gert - K5WW
                    • R Johnson
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                        Bah Hum Bug !!! Just tried to log on to LoTW at 1601Z and saw the news.
                        Will try again tomorrow morning.

                        73
                        Bob, K1VU

                        At 11:44 5/5/2004 , you wrote:
                        >--- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "FireBrick" <w9ol@b...> wrote:
                        > > In a couple of hours, these questions will be answered.
                        > >

                        >How about: at the end of the week? :-)
                        >
                        >Quote:
                        >
                        >The system is undergoing a significant software upgrade and will be
                        >off-line until approximately 1300Z, Thu, May 6.
                        >
                        >Unquote.
                        >
                        >73,
                        >
                        >Gert - K5WW
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Art RX9TX
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                          Hello Bob,

                          Wednesday, May 5, 2004 Bob Daniels wrote to ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com:

                          BD> Example:
                          BD> Lets say you have 200 LoTW credits that you would like to claim. The

                          BD> Now lets say this is your first submission of the calendar year of

                          BD> Now lets say this was a subsequent submission to the DXCC entity and,

                          BD> Note: According to the ARRL √ "For a limited time, you may make a

                          BD> First Submission total cost to you for claiming 200 LoTW credits and

                          BD> Subsequent submission total cost to you for claiming 200 LoTW credits

                          VERY and TOO complicated. And the target is that no one can finally
                          clarify for himself the whole pricing sceme :) That is similar to
                          cellular phone companies pricing schemes, they offer you limited
                          discounts etc which you can not keep in mind, but never say they just
                          decrease a price of a minute. Why ARRL would not just say that EVERY
                          QSO costs 15 cents? First submission in a calendar year costs me, not
                          an ARRL member, 20 dollars. And I can check 120 QSO for free. 120 x
                          0.15 = 18 dollars. They just steal my 2 dollars on that 120 "free"
                          cards :))

                          I know, I know, I am "free" not to participate in it :)

                          BD> Bob K8KWT

                          Thanks Bob.

                          --
                          73...Art RX9TX 05-May-04 16:04 UTC

                          "To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." (Gandhi)
                        • Art RX9TX
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                            Hello FireBrick,

                            Wednesday, May 5, 2004 FireBrick wrote to ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com:

                            F> I was one of the beta testers. Yes there is a sliding fee scale for the number of LoTW
                            F> country credits you are submitting.
                            F> I 'THINK' you get the same "1 free submission" a year which includes up to 120 qsls.

                            What do you mean by "free" in here? "Free" is free of any charge or
                            "free" is 0 cents for first 120 QSOs plus 15-25 cents per QSO, while
                            "not free" is 15 cents for every QSO over 120 and 15-25 cents for
                            every QSO?

                            Looks like we should expect pricing of 30-40 cents total per QSO.

                            --
                            73...Art RX9TX 05-May-04 15:54 UTC

                            "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it!"
                          • Joe Subich, K4IK
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                              > From: FireBrick [mailto:w9ol@...]
                              >

                              > I was one of the beta testers. Yes there is a sliding fee
                              > scale for the number of LoTW country credits you are submitting.

                              I've seen the LotW fee schedule and don't have a problem with it.
                              My problem is with the DXCC side if ARRL/DXCC is charging the same
                              for "hard copy" QSO confirmations as "electronic" confirmations.
                              Wayne's e-mail indicated a substantial discount to the per QSO rate
                              since "we have to hire less labor to enter the data, and we will
                              pass the savings on." In fact, the system is (or could be)
                              completely automated which means NO LABOR to handle electronic
                              confirmations.

                              > If you already have submitted to DXCC and have an account
                              > which contains records of qsls submitted, you don't HAVE
                              > to do anything with these.

                              But I will ... my records were never converted to the computer.
                              If I want credit for the 1000 or so QSOs, Wayne is insisting
                              that I have to submit the cards de novo and pay the $0.15 per
                              card beyond the 120 card limit. Since 95% of the cards are
                              more than 10 years old, they have to be sent to Newington, I
                              can't even deal with a local card checker.

                              > LoTW knows what they are and you should be able to see them
                              > listed. Very early submissions may not have info such as
                              > band or mode. The records from long ago only contained the
                              > Call, Date, Time, and whether it was credited as Mixed or
                              > SSB. As DXCC improved it's software that info was recorded.
                              > Later submission recorded the other information.

                              I would not have a problem shipping them the old cards if they
                              wanted to verify band to "complete" the records. All I would
                              need is a list of calls credited for CW/Phone/Mixed and calls
                              credited on each band for 5BDXCC/160 ... I have all of the cards
                              I've submitted (and new ones I plan to submit "some day") filed
                              by band. Frankly though, if I have to pay $0.15 per QSO for
                              600 QSOs (5BDXCC plus 160 DXCC) as well as 500 plus QSOs from
                              the basic CW/Phone/Mixed awards (they are/were separate), I
                              might as well apply for the awards all over and have all the
                              plaques/certificates issued with my current call. That's what
                              I mean about "paying all over."

                              73,

                              ... Joe, K4IK
                            • Bob Daniels
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                Thanks for the note back Art.

                                Like I said before there was some contradiction in the e-mails I got
                                from the ARRL. It sounds like they are not sure if the .15-cent per
                                QSO beyond the 120 QSO/Credit max will be imposed on LoTW credits. I
                                think their confusion here is what to do about an application that
                                includes both paper QSLs and LoTW credits. If you go over the 120
                                QSO/Credit max how should it be charged. Did the paper QSLs put you
                                over the 120 max limit or did the LoTW credits put you over 120 max
                                limit.

                                At any rate it is obvious to me that if you have a paper card in hand
                                and a LoTW credit for the same country you would be better off just
                                turning it in using the old traditional method. I have about 975
                                paper QSL-QSOs to turn in. Most of them are actually QSOs I turned
                                in years ago for 5BDXCC, CW, SSB …… That was before they kept full
                                records of everything sent in. Darn !!

                                It does occur to me that LoTW can still benefit the more established
                                Hams that are looking for fills on their Challenge Cup and don't
                                necessarily want the card.

                                Bottom line as I was told by the ARRL: Logbook is an alternative to
                                spending postage collecting cards. It is not a means to decrease the
                                cost of DXCC. (The two are Separate)

                                So for me the best option is to use the old fashion method for the
                                many paper QSLs I've already got, because no matter how you look at
                                it that is the most cost effective option. I will however use LoTW
                                for future Challenge Cup fills because that will also be my most cost
                                effective option.

                                For those non-North American Hams that were looking for a safer
                                alternative to sending their cards via Post, LogBook is available,
                                but unfortunately it looks like it will cost quite a bit more than
                                just a normal DXCC submission.

                                Bob K8KWT

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                  > > In a couple of hours, these questions will be answered.
                                  > >

                                  > How about: at the end of the week? :-)
                                  >
                                  > Quote:
                                  >
                                  > The system is undergoing a significant software upgrade and will be
                                  > off-line until approximately 1300Z, Thu, May 6.
                                  >
                                  > Unquote.
                                  yep, I wasn't going to bet the farm on it going as originally planned. LOL

                                  Check again tomorrow.

                                  What's the song in 'Annie'??? :-))
                                • Art RX9TX
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                    Hello Bob,

                                    Wednesday, May 5, 2004 Bob Daniels wrote to ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com:

                                    BD> At any rate it is obvious to me that if you have a paper card in hand
                                    BD> and a LoTW credit for the same country you would be better off just
                                    BD> turning it in using the old traditional method. I have about 975
                                    BD> paper QSL-QSOs to turn in.

                                    Unbelievable, in front of me I have a sheet of paper on which I count
                                    cards to be submitted, it says "974 QSO" and "771 QSL" :) You are 1
                                    QSO ahead :)

                                    BD> So for me the best option is to use the old fashion method for the
                                    BD> many paper QSLs I've already got, because no matter how you look at
                                    BD> it that is the most cost effective option.

                                    Thats right, that's what I will do when I get last one needed for
                                    Honor Roll.

                                    BD> For those non-North American Hams that were looking for a safer
                                    BD> alternative to sending their cards via Post, LogBook is available,
                                    BD> but unfortunately it looks like it will cost quite a bit more than
                                    BD> just a normal DXCC submission.

                                    Yep, our expectations did not match severe reality :)

                                    5BDXCC #4999 of Sep 30, 2000

                                    --
                                    73...Art RX9TX 05-May-04 17:57 UTC

                                    "People only see what they are prepared to see." [Ralph Waldo Emerson]
                                  • FireBrick
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                      Ok Now I understand what you mean.

                                      Just to reaffirm....I know all my qso's are 'in the computer' it's just that the computer
                                      doesn't know exactly which band or mode.
                                      The reason I know that is because during the testing, I could see all of them.
                                      The qsl's submitted BEFORE they entered ALL the data had the callsign but just not the
                                      details.
                                      I even found an error in the DXCC records for me that was corrected when I pointed it out
                                      to the DXCC people.

                                      But I'm in the same boat. MANY of my qsl's are prior 5BDXCC and prior to the using the
                                      full detail software.
                                      If I want the full details, I will have to resubmit them, pay the fees and not get a
                                      single thing out of it except a more correctly detailed set of records.

                                      Just a clarification for MY mind.
                                      Submitting hardcards to DXCC does NOT have a sliding scale dependent on the amount of
                                      Cards submitted?
                                      Submitting LoTW DOES have sliding scale. I saw it...unfortunately I didn't have enough
                                      LoTW qsl's to qualify.

                                      But I do have a lot of already paid for QSL payment credits waiting in case I get more.
                                      :-))

                                      > > I was one of the beta testers. Yes there is a sliding fee
                                      > > scale for the number of LoTW country credits you are submitting.
                                      >
                                      > I've seen the LotW fee schedule and don't have a problem with it.
                                      > My problem is with the DXCC side if ARRL/DXCC is charging the same
                                      > for "hard copy" QSO confirmations as "electronic" confirmations.
                                      > Wayne's e-mail indicated a substantial discount to the per QSO rate
                                      > since "we have to hire less labor to enter the data, and we will
                                      > pass the savings on." In fact, the system is (or could be)
                                      > completely automated which means NO LABOR to handle electronic
                                      > confirmations.
                                      >
                                      > > If you already have submitted to DXCC and have an account
                                      > > which contains records of qsls submitted, you don't HAVE
                                      > > to do anything with these.
                                      >
                                      > But I will ... my records were never converted to the computer.
                                      > If I want credit for the 1000 or so QSOs, Wayne is insisting
                                      > that I have to submit the cards de novo and pay the $0.15 per
                                      > card beyond the 120 card limit. Since 95% of the cards are
                                      > more than 10 years old, they have to be sent to Newington, I
                                      > can't even deal with a local card checker.
                                      >
                                      > > LoTW knows what they are and you should be able to see them
                                      > > listed. Very early submissions may not have info such as
                                      > > band or mode. The records from long ago only contained the
                                      > > Call, Date, Time, and whether it was credited as Mixed or
                                      > > SSB. As DXCC improved it's software that info was recorded.
                                      > > Later submission recorded the other information.
                                      >
                                      > I would not have a problem shipping them the old cards if they
                                      > wanted to verify band to "complete" the records. All I would
                                      > need is a list of calls credited for CW/Phone/Mixed and calls
                                      > credited on each band for 5BDXCC/160 ... I have all of the cards
                                      > I've submitted (and new ones I plan to submit "some day") filed
                                      > by band. Frankly though, if I have to pay $0.15 per QSO for
                                      > 600 QSOs (5BDXCC plus 160 DXCC) as well as 500 plus QSOs from
                                      > the basic CW/Phone/Mixed awards (they are/were separate), I
                                      > might as well apply for the awards all over and have all the
                                      > plaques/certificates issued with my current call. That's what
                                      > I mean about "paying all over."
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      >
                                      > ... Joe, K4IK
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • R Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                        Darryl:
                                        I personally think you are over reacting !!!

                                        I don't see that Joe make any disparaging remarks about Wayne Mills at ALL !!!

                                        I suspect that you, being closely involved with the LoTW concept, are trying
                                        reading to much into Joe's comments.

                                        As far as Wayne Mills doing a good job, I'll take exception to that !!!

                                        If you want specifics, I'll site the arbitrary cancellation, without any prior
                                        notice to the membership of the following Awards:
                                        -Rag Chewers' Club (RCC) $3
                                        -ARRL Friendship Award $5
                                        -Old-Timers Club (OTC) $3

                                        All these Awards did was foster "Good Will" for the League. They didn't cost
                                        the League much of anything. The applicant paid a small fee which should have
                                        more that covered the cost of the Award !!!

                                        The "New Ham" doesn't get much out of his League Membership anymore. Keeping a
                                        couple of easily obtainable Awards on the books for the Newbie to earn seems to
                                        me like a reasonable thing to keep.

                                        Rather than cancel them for lack of interest, I feel that the League should have
                                        tried to promote these Awards. Heck we freed up a bunch of pages by eliminating
                                        contest line scores, Annual table of contense, other things like that.

                                        League membership keeps falling each year, thing like this don't help !!!

                                        73
                                        Bob, K1VU

                                        At 10:48 5/5/2004 , you wrote:

                                        >--
                                        >Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON
                                        >Past President - Nashua Area Radio Club
                                        >"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

                                      • rojomn
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                          Here here! Well said. I remember getting my RCC award as a fun thing in the
                                          early days. I guess I missed out on OTC by never having applied. Always
                                          meant to get around to that. Maybe I am too old time !!! :=)

                                          Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
                                          N 44.082056 W 92.513024 1050'
                                          Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

                                        • Joe Subich, K4IK
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                            > From: R Johnson [mailto:k1vu@...]
                                            >
                                            > I don't see that Joe make any disparaging remarks about Wayne
                                            > Mills at ALL !!!
                                            >
                                            > I suspect that you, being closely involved with the LoTW
                                            > concept, are trying reading to much into Joe's comments.

                                            Thank you ...

                                            You are correct, too much is being read into my comments.
                                            However, I am still steamed after that getting my hardcopy
                                            DXCC record some time ago (and was told there would be "no
                                            cost" to convert to the computer) that when I got ready to
                                            do the update after a relocation halfway across the country
                                            and callsign change, I was told, by Wayne, that it would cost
                                            me $10 plus $0.15 per QSO for all QSOs over 120 ... just as
                                            never had the credits.

                                            Quite frankly the ARRL Field Organization (ARES and NTS) are
                                            outmoded and a joke - technology has passed them by ... the
                                            "professional staff" in Newington has run away from contesting
                                            and would probably terminate Sweepstakes and the DX Contest
                                            if they could get away with it (from the contest coverage in
                                            QST, one could almost assume they have) ... and participants
                                            in the DXCC program is being nickel and dimed to death. If I
                                            hadn't been licensed for more than 30 years and a Life Member
                                            for almost as long, I would not give ARRL a second look today.

                                            73,

                                            ... Joe, K4IK
                                          • Martin Fouts
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                              I'm going to stay an ARRL member for the simple reason that I have to be in
                                              order to be a VE in my particular VEC.

                                              LoTW would make a good case study in how not to develope software, but I
                                              suppose it will survive -- there are plenty of examples of poorly designed
                                              software in widespread use.

                                              > I don't see that Joe make any disparaging remarks about Wayne
                                              > Mills at ALL !!!
                                              >
                                              > I suspect that you, being closely involved with the LoTW
                                              > concept, are trying reading to much into Joe's comments.

                                              Thank you ...

                                              You are correct, too much is being read into my comments.
                                              However, I am still steamed after that getting my hardcopy
                                              DXCC record some time ago (and was told there would be "no
                                              cost" to convert to the computer) that when I got ready to
                                              do the update after a relocation halfway across the country
                                              and callsign change, I was told, by Wayne, that it would cost
                                              me $10 plus $0.15 per QSO for all QSOs over 120 ... just as
                                              never had the credits.

                                              Quite frankly the ARRL Field Organization (ARES and NTS) are
                                              outmoded and a joke - technology has passed them by ... the
                                              "professional staff" in Newington has run away from contesting
                                              and would probably terminate Sweepstakes and the DX Contest
                                              if they could get away with it (from the contest coverage in
                                              QST, one could almost assume they have) ... and participants
                                              in the DXCC program is being nickel and dimed to death. If I
                                              hadn't been licensed for more than 30 years and a Life Member
                                              for almost as long, I would not give ARRL a second look today.

                                              73,

                                              ... Joe, K4IK

                                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                                            • Hamish Moffatt
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                                On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 08:01:50PM -0700, Martin Fouts wrote:
                                                > LoTW would make a good case study in how not to develope software

                                                Why do you say that?

                                                You could say that TQSL/TQSLCERT are not ideal programs for end users.
                                                I'd agree with that. I see them as demonstrations; the technology is
                                                intended to be incoporated into logging software over time.

                                                I don't see anything much wrong with the mechanisms/algorithms and
                                                the web site though.

                                                Hamish
                                                --
                                                Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
                                              • NA4FM (Buck)
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                                  I quit the league years ago after having a discussion with my area
                                                  representative. He said that he only counted votes that were based on
                                                  factual evidence in favor of the majority of Amateur Radio operators. I
                                                  had him clarify it to this degree: He said if I could not justify a
                                                  "no" vote with evidence acceptible to him, when he reported votes to
                                                  ARRL, my No vote would not be included. Therefore, only votes that
                                                  agreed with him or had what might appear to be valid arguments to him to
                                                  the contrary, would be counted. It was clear that the majority of
                                                  people in the room at that time wanted him to vote "NO" but he said only
                                                  a few would be counted as no votes because they were backed up by facts
                                                  and not by emotion or lack of understanding.

                                                  That is the first and last experience I ever had with an officer of the
                                                  League.

                                                  I am now awaiting membership papers again. I have joined for similar
                                                  reasons to Martin, I want to be part of the VE team, part of ARES and
                                                  other things that require membership here. ARES doesn't require
                                                  membership, but training reimbursement costs are only granted to those
                                                  who complete the courses AND are ARRL members and I intend to take all
                                                  the courses I can for emergency service.

                                                  Politics? Well, I'll just have to be one more voice they won't listen
                                                  to.

                                                  Buck

                                                • Martin Fouts
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 5, 2004
                                                    As I write this, LOTW is still down for its "upgrade". As I understand it,
                                                    it was supposed to be back up, if I recall the original message correctly,
                                                    10 hours ago. The new ETA has been shifted forward 24 hours. Another 24
                                                    hour delay would not surprise me.

                                                    All of this just to add a feature that was supposed to have already been
                                                    beta tested.

                                                    Why do I say it makes a good case study?

                                                    Because, the system design is inherently flawed. It makes two bad
                                                    assumptions from the start. First, it assumes that users are not to be
                                                    trusted. Second, it assumes that the social issue of lack of trust can be
                                                    solved by, in this case, excessive use of technology. More energy seems to
                                                    have been put into 'securing' the system than into every other aspect of it,
                                                    combined.

                                                    Rather than build a system that helps hams use computers to verify their
                                                    QSLs with each other, ARRL built a system that makes it hard for hams,
                                                    because it doesn't trust them. It then forces these untrusted hams to use
                                                    two tools that even you admit are "not ideal".

                                                    Not only is the system poorly designed from a social perspective, and the
                                                    visible interface to it poorly implemented, it doesn't even do simple QSL
                                                    related things very wel, such as dup checking. This means that if I don't
                                                    want my LoTW records screwed up, I have to keep careful track of when I last
                                                    uploaded, so that I can export only records it hasn't already seen. Even
                                                    eQSL gets this right.

                                                    Does it, by the way, allow me any way to delete log records that I discover
                                                    are broken and need to be replaced? I tried to find some documentation on
                                                    how to deal with this, but I couldn't.

                                                    Which reminds me of another failure: I haven't used a system this poorly
                                                    documented since I used IBM mainframes in the early '70s.

                                                    The system fails to follow what few interchange standards there are, as far
                                                    as I understand it, having invented new fields for adif. Is the ARRL
                                                    attempting to participate in the formulation of the adif 2 spec? I believe
                                                    not.

                                                    It is based on the hubris that there should be only one online QSL database,
                                                    and that the ARRL should manage it. No thought has been given to
                                                    interchange with other such databases, and, if I have been correctly
                                                    informed, no effort was made to learn from the experience those databases
                                                    already have generated.

                                                    The whole process has been clouded in a secrecy that borders on the
                                                    mystical. Sadly, it appears this secrecy is best attributed to incompetence
                                                    rather than malice, but it has made the process unnecessarily difficult and
                                                    has led to what appears to be several bad design features.

                                                    By the way, how do I manage logs for special event stations on LoTW? For
                                                    that matter, how do I manage logs for multiple stations? The system appears
                                                    to have given no thought to QSL managers or to special events and their use
                                                    of recycled call signs drawn from a limited pool.

                                                    I have ported TQSL/TQSLCERT to freebsd. It is safe to say that the code is
                                                    not production quality, hinting at a poor QA process. It is also safe to say
                                                    that your assertions about mechanisms and algorithms are, shall we say,
                                                    excessively optimistic.

                                                    I have no comment on the internal implementation of the web site, having not
                                                    seen it, but given the rest of the system, I doubt much thought has been
                                                    given to robustness and availability. The "upgrade" now in progress makes
                                                    it painfully clear that no thought was given to rolling update.

                                                    What's wrong with the system? If you want a shorter answer, ask what's
                                                    right, since there seems to be precious little of that.

                                                    On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 08:01:50PM -0700, Martin Fouts wrote:
                                                    > LoTW would make a good case study in how not to develope software

                                                    Why do you say that?

                                                    You could say that TQSL/TQSLCERT are not ideal programs for end users.
                                                    I'd agree with that. I see them as demonstrations; the technology is
                                                    intended to be incoporated into logging software over time.

                                                    I don't see anything much wrong with the mechanisms/algorithms and
                                                    the web site though.

                                                    Hamish
                                                    --
                                                    Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>

                                                  • Dave Bernstein
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 6, 2004
                                                      All of LotW's extensions to ADIF are in fact consistent with the
                                                      proposed ADIF 2.0 draft specification. By its adoption of ADIF 2.0
                                                      functionality, LotW has done more to move ADIF 2.0 forward than has
                                                      any other organization, commercial or non-profit.

                                                      With respect to system design, the ARRL's DXCC program has always
                                                      exerted tight control, demanding official documentation of permission
                                                      to operate and rejecting QSL cards showing any hint of ex post facto
                                                      modification. LotW's top-level security requirements were driven by
                                                      this orientation, and are in my personal view reasonable.

                                                      That said, there is no reasonable technical explanation for the
                                                      ARRL's decision to ignore eQSL.cc and build a new system from
                                                      scratch. LotW's biggest problem is its severe shortage of
                                                      implementation resources; far more could have been achieved by
                                                      applying those limited resources to extending eQSL.cc to meet the
                                                      needs of the DXCC program, rather than by first re-inventing the
                                                      wheel. This decision may have primarily been driven by the ARRL's
                                                      perceived need for exclusive control, but interactions with the
                                                      players over the past years leads me to suspect that ego played no
                                                      small part.

                                                      Some of LotW's useability problems could have been mitigated by
                                                      better integration with existing logging applications, but the
                                                      project's management put little energy in this direction. To this
                                                      day, for example, there is no "LotW Developer" forum in which
                                                      questions can be posed and answers shared. Clearly, the LotW team
                                                      lacks experience in collaborative software development -- another
                                                      factor that may have driven the "ignore eQSL.cc" decision.

                                                      While case studies are useful for students and practitioners of
                                                      software engineering seeking to do better "next time", we DXers have
                                                      a more pragmatic interest: electronic QSLing and recordkeeping should
                                                      be a lot less time-consuming and expensive than snail-mailing cards
                                                      and hand-checking reports printed by the DXCC desk's computer system.
                                                      For better or for worse, LotW is our starting point. Far uglier
                                                      systems have been hammered into reasonability via sustained,
                                                      constructive critique from their user communities.