Re: [ARRL-LOTW] LOTW barfed again

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 3, 2011
      I dont understand why ARRL want to calculate the cost of a service like
      the LOTW?

      It is a service, it costs money. Is the ARRL a commercial organization?

      I would like to see how they calculate the cost. I do lot of T(otal)
      C(ost) of O(wnership) calculation for server application.
      From what I already paid to the ARRL for DXCC credits I can rent a full
      blown redundant server environment and a development for a whole month.
      As I am not the only one paying for DXCC credits they only need 11 other
      people like me to cover the costs and maintenance of the hardware for a
      year.

      I know, you also need a good programmer to develop and maintain the
      software.

      If ARRL would add the possibility to use it also for other awards it
      will lower the costs as more users will pay for credits.
      Why dont they ask IARU to pay for it? It lowers the costs of
      international qsl buros.

      73 Henk PA5KT

      Op 03-01-2011 16:06, Peter Laws schreef:
      > On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:55, Glenn Wyant<va3dx@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> How about a message in positive note , now and then .
      >>
      >> VA3DX
      >
      > It's all about expectations. HQ has promised to add VUCC to LoTW for
      > years. The Board finally forced them to commit to a deadline. That
      > deadline -- "the end of the year" -- has come and gone with no VUCC
      >
      > We were, of course, treated to several days of not being able to use
      > the system because of "testing" ... testing that indicates that they
      > have no development instance of LoTW! This may explain why very few
      > updates have been made to LoTW. It also indicates just how few
      > resources are committed to LoTW within HQ. That these outages came at
      > a peak time of DXCC submissions (so that folks can make the Yearbook)
      > is just icing on the cake.
      >
      > I have been told directly by HQ staff that the fees collected from
      > LoTW transactions do not cover its cost of operations. To that I say,
      > raise the fees. At US$0.50/credit, it's still cheaper than a paper
      > QSL, both for me and for HQ's processing time.
      >

      > --

      Henk Remijn PA5KT
      email: pa5kt@...
      www: www.pa5kt.com
    • Richard J. Fiero II W5TFW
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 3, 2011
        ALL,

        very GOOD questions, ! why indeed ?
        Maybe its because the ARRL IS a business ! after all E-qsl came out 1st
        and then,............. the ARRL decided to act when E-qsl started gaining
        popularity !
        & to make it even worse the ARRL had to make there's Super secret. I was
        under the impression that this was a GENTLEMANS game to begin with ! its a
        wonder they dont want DNA samples to upload your LOGS.

        Joey
        >I dont understand why ARRL want to calculate the cost of a service like
        > the LOTW?
        >
        > It is a service, it costs money. Is the ARRL a commercial organization?
        >
        > I would like to see how they calculate the cost. I do lot of T(otal)
        > C(ost) of O(wnership) calculation for server application.
        > From what I already paid to the ARRL for DXCC credits I can rent a full
        > blown redundant server environment and a development for a whole month.
        > As I am not the only one paying for DXCC credits they only need 11 other
        > people like me to cover the costs and maintenance of the hardware for a
        > year.
        >
        > I know, you also need a good programmer to develop and maintain the
        > software.
        >
        > If ARRL would add the possibility to use it also for other awards it
        > will lower the costs as more users will pay for credits.
        > Why dont they ask IARU to pay for it? It lowers the costs of
        > international qsl buros.
        >
        > 73 Henk PA5KT
        >
        > Op 03-01-2011 16:06, Peter Laws schreef:
        >> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:55, Glenn Wyant<va3dx@...> wrote:
        >>>

        >>> How about a message in positive note , now and then .
        >>>
        >>> VA3DX
        >>
        >> It's all about expectations. HQ has promised to add VUCC to LoTW for
        >> years. The Board finally forced them to commit to a deadline. That
        >> deadline -- "the end of the year" -- has come and gone with no VUCC
        >>
        >> We were, of course, treated to several days of not being able to use
        >> the system because of "testing" ... testing that indicates that they
        >> have no development instance of LoTW! This may explain why very few
        >> updates have been made to LoTW. It also indicates just how few
        >> resources are committed to LoTW within HQ. That these outages came at
        >> a peak time of DXCC submissions (so that folks can make the Yearbook)
        >> is just icing on the cake.
        >>
        >> I have been told directly by HQ staff that the fees collected from
        >> LoTW transactions do not cover its cost of operations. To that I say,
        >> raise the fees. At US$0.50/credit, it's still cheaper than a paper
        >> QSL, both for me and for HQ's processing time.
        >>

        >> --
        >> Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!
        >>

        > --
        > Henk Remijn PA5KT
        > email: pa5kt@...
        > www: www.pa5kt.com

      • Paul. W. Copeland
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 3, 2011
          I, too, have wondered about the IARU connection and wondered why the member societies of the IARU don't contribute SOMETHING, in return for their programs being accredited under LoTW.  Sounds like a win-win situation to me.  I'm sure there would be some rough spots and other details that would need to be worked out, but there's enough smart folks around (definitely not me) who could see it thru and make it work.

          73 de K4KCS
        • Elsie & Gerry
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 3, 2011

            As far as I know, the IARU does not fund the bureau system. They only help organize it. Several countries have closed bureaus due to lack of activity or local club funding.

            73,
            Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
            DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
            VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
            (403) 251-0384

            Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 3:00 PM

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 3, 2011
              the ARRL is a BUSINESS !

              " Think " about it !  If they werent, they would have TEAMED up with e qsl.......
              BUT NO<.......... they had to have there OWN show !...................................
              and they felt the NEED to JUSTIFY this with a " MUCH More SECURE " system !

                                                                                     R I G H T !  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 4, 2011
                I see, just a bit skeptical.

                Thats the problem with logging programs. You import some thing in and you have to spend many hours figuring out what the original log had wrong.

                I have done that several times and there is no easy way.

                ARRL LOTW is all ways right. So if your missing credits or have too many in you log before merging, find the errors first before you do it. Easier that way.

                Jim

                --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Robinson" <markrob@...> wrote:

                > I wanted to set up a database with all my DXCC contacts that appear on LOTW. Is there a way to download the Award matrix or Challenge table.
                >

                > 73 Mark N1UK

              • K4DJ
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Glen, You've obviously come to the wrong reflector.:)
                  Richard K4DJ