Re: Logging software with LoTW on Mac

  • wringmaster2002
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
      Are you running an Intel Mac? If you are, IMO DO NOT use an emulator. Run Windows native in Boot Camp that comes free with OSx. This is what I run XP service pack 3 on an iMac and it runs *very* fast and smooth. I use HRD's logbook and N3FJP's AC Log as a backup. Very easy to do and N3FJP's AC Log talks with LoTW very seamlessly.

      Here is my station:

      http://mysite.verizon.net/vzd1s43s/index.html

      Good luck and have fun

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "wa9ysd" <wa9ysd@...> wrote:

      > Here is a better Idea.
      >
      > Pay 90 bucks for an emulator then you can use any Windows logging program to suit your needs.
    • wa9ysd
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
        Boot Camp requires sectoring the hard drive, doesn't it? Just takes up more space on the computer.

        Why run windows programs on a Mac? There are alternatives.

        Running windows leave you open to viruses in the sector? You then need to run anti virus software, and it slows down the Mac computer by 1/3 as well.

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
            The emulators also take up space, too. I've never noticed hard drives being what they are today.

            For me it is no contest - HRD + Digital Master 780 and N3FJP's AC Log make the choice easy. I've yet to find a Mac program that I think is equal.

            I'm a motion graphic designer and love my Mac for that, but, IMO, you can't beat the software for amateur radio on the dark side :-)

            Of course your mileage may vary - but If you are going to run Windows on a Mac, Boot Camp is the way to go.

            Another country heard from,

            73 de Eric, KG6MZS

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
              I gave up sectoring hard drives back around 1989 on a windows machine. They were not necessary. You block off a section and really never filled it, waste of space. Got infected like anything else.

              Sectoring the Mac, I just will not do it. Thought most of us all learned that lesson years ago on home PCs. Not running a network so there is no need.

              I am not interested in Digital modes, and RTTY got that out of my system in 1973 when Viet Nam war traffic slowed down and gave away my RTTY ST-5 setup for receive back in the day when RTTY was FSK not AFSK. Used an SRT-14 Navy transmitter at home with that. Ran it all day and night no problem. Sure ran up the electric bill though.

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                Maybe it was 1975. Been so long I cannot remember any more.

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 2, 2010
                  --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "wa9ysd" <wa9ysd@...> wrote:

                  > I gave up sectoring hard drives back around 1989

                  Not really, but I know what you mean... you don't choose to add an additional partition. I always leave headroom on any partition and do not consider that "wasted space" Sure you could load Windows into a Mac OS partition under an emulator but given that your headroom requirements just went up and the emulator takes up space I really think you are talking about a push. ...and there is no comparison when it come to performance. Running XP native on an Intel Mac is far superior AFAICT to the kludgy emulators.

                  Another country heard from,

                  73 de Eric, KG6MZS
                • wringmaster2002
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 2, 2010
                    --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "wa9ysd" <wa9ysd@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe it was 1975. Been so long I cannot remember any more.

                    Back then I can understand being miserly with the kilobytes. Nowadays machines come with terabyte hard drives. Firewire externals are cheap. It just isn't a big deal and the performance is easily worth the pittance of space, IMO