Re: March 12 update

  • Dave Bernstein
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2004
      It will be important for this information to be included in
      downloaded QSOs so that logging applications can appropriately
      present it to users. I suggest that a confirmed QSO validated by the
      ARRL be indicated in a downloaded QSL by a QSL_RCVD status of 'V'. A
      QSO that doesn't "count" should be indicated by a QSL_RCVD status
      of 'I'.

      Looking ahead one step further, it would be useful to define an
      electronic submission form by which users (or their logging
      applications) can "submit" QSOs for award credit. A set of ADIF
      records preceeded by an appropriately-tagged header seems like a
      simple, consistent way to accomplish this.

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Patton, David NN1N" <nt1n@a...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all
      >
      > Thanks for patiently waiting for news on the Awards Section of LoTW.
      >
      > I am happy to report that progress is being made. We have decided
      to go a little farther than planned for the inital Awards activity
      for DXCC.

      > When we turn the DXCC support on, not only will it be able to
      automatically show you the confirmations for each country on each
      band that you have in the system, it will also be able to show you
      your entire universe of DXCC records as maintained in the DXCC
      program--incorporated into LoTW.

      > Each user will have to request that their associated DX records be
      merged into LoTW--we will not be doing this automatically. These
      requests will be made via the Usersite. After this is done, you will
      be able to tell LoTW which of your calls you want under a single
      DXCC. E.g., I want my old call's confirmations (NT1N) to be combined
      with those for NN1N. Under DXCC rules all QSOs made from the same
      entity, by the same operator who has had other calls, may be
      combined. Club callsigns in the US cannot be combined in with
      primary calls for DXCC.

      > The system will check to make sure that combined calls fit the
      rules-- where possible.

      > I am not able to assign a date to when we will activate this
      function, but I can tell you that I have seen it, and it is GOOD! :-
      ) Our small shop is juggling multiple tasks, so please bear with
      us. We are going to attack each award one by one and eventually we
      will have enough built that adding support for each award will get
      easier and easier.

      > Some of you have noticed that the column reporting Date of QSL has
      disappeared from the Usersite. That was done to make room for the
      Awards displays. The data is still available for each QSO, but just
      not displayed en masse. If we can find a way to easily put that back
      we will, but for the most part it is irrelevant.

      > The effort to notify everyone about the importance of back-up
      certificates was worth it. But, over the last week the number of "I
      lost my hard drive" and "somehow upgrading my OS crashed my system"
      issues have become commonplace again. If you haven't backed-up your
      certificates, please do so.