Re: LoTW not good enough for ARRL?

  • wringmaster2002
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
      Jumping into the fray here I see that not all my contacts with W1AW are coming up on LoTW – especially recent and/or digital ones.

      In related news I have noticed that some top ARRL people I've logged have been slow to adopt LoTW. Might they be too embarrassed to admit they need help? ;-)

      Here are my LoTW QSLs:

      KG6MZS W1AW 2007-11-17 21:47:00 20M SSB 14.227 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
      KG6MZS NU1AW 2007-07-14 21:59:00 20M SSB 14.24 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
      KG6MZS W1AW 2006-12-29 16:29:00 20M SSB 14.2708 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
      KG6MZS W1AW 2005-09-24 21:33:00 20M SSB 14.237 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
      KG6MZS NU1AW 2004-07-11 06:06:00 40M SSB 7.240 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

      73 de Eric, KG6MZS
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
        Nothing to it. Use these instructions instead. MUCH clearer than the
        ARRL instructions.

        http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingUpLotW

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
          On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 14:52, wringmaster2002 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > Jumping into the fray here I see that not all my contacts with W1AW are coming up on LoTW – especially recent and/or digital ones.
          >
          > In related news I have noticed that some top ARRL people I've logged have been slow to adopt LoTW.  Might they be too embarrassed to admit they need help?  ;-)

          The OP griped about W1AW and we've pretty well established that they
          are pretty good about uploading. Now, as for HQ staff and elected
          officials, it would probably be fun to run *those* calls through and
          see how often they upload. :)

        • Gary AL9A
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010

            Maybe they don't trust the logs of "guest ops".

            Gary AL9A

            Sent from my iTouch

            On Jul 7, 2010, at 7:08 AM, JACK <K4WSB@...> wrote:

            Never checked... but I did and I have some Q's confirmed and some not!

            It is indeed curious...

            At 11:03 AM 7/7/2010, you wrote:
            >I noticed that W1AW doesn't upload their logs to LoTW. If you want
            >to confirm that contact, there's no choice but to send a SASE.
            >
            >There's just something strange about that...

          • M. H. Shannon
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
              My Field Day contact with W1AW    was confirm via LOTW.

              Shannon

              At 11:03 AM 7/7/2010, you wrote:
              >I noticed that W1AW doesn't upload their logs to LoTW. If you want
              >to confirm that contact, there's no choice but to send a SASE.
              >
              >There's just something strange about that...

              No infections found in this incoming message
              Scanned by iolo System Shield�
              http://www.iolo.com

            • David Levine
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 19, 2010
                I just received 8 LoTW confirmations for W1AW/8 for contacts on July 10th & July 11th. The 8 confirmations were for CW & SSB contacts during the IARU HF contest.

                David - K2DSL

              • Joseph Miller
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 19, 2010
                  Thx Dave

                  I received 3 today, all SSB. 80, 40, and 20 meters. 20 meters is a very short skip from SE Michigan to central Ohio, but we had an opening that lasted maybe 20 minutes.

                  Between them and getting Indiana in the RTTY NAQP, I only have Wisconsin left for the 20 meter WAS!

                  Now if we can get NU1AW to upload. I should have all five bands...

                  73 de Joe Miller, KJ8O, Troy, MI

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 19, 2010
                    Joe,

                    Off-topic...

                    Your best bet for that difficult short distance to WI on 20M is JT65A using troposcatter -- what a lot of people mistakenly call ground wave (unless you're actually running a vertically polarized antenna mounted on the ground). You can run this digital mode most easily using JT65-HF, which is a version of JT65A that has been optimized for HF use. (The other JT65 use is EME, which is done using the mode's original vehicle, WSJT.) It so happens that 20M is where most of the JT65-HF crowd hangs -- on 14076 kHz. You can download JT65-HF and its manual from here:

                    This is an extreme weak-signal mode. You can communicate with stations that you basically can't hear. (Though on HF, most of the signals you will decode will be weakly audible.) You can work the world with this mode using QRP and a wire antenna, if that interests you. You can also work close-in stuff, like you need, but you will probably want to research and make a sked with somebody who uses (or can use) this mode on 20M. If I run across anybody in WI myself, I'll let you know.

                    Basically, you set up whatever interface hardware is required for your type of radio -- a K3 needs none -- and tune the radio to 14076 USB with a wide IF passband (at least 2.5 kHz). Adjust the audio input level to get a nice waterfall display, and you'll start to see signals decoding at the end of every minute. Fun!

                    You MUST have your computer's clock set exactly to the right time, because JT65 is a time-synchronous mode. If your computer clock is more than 1 second off, people will have trouble decoding you using JT65-HF, and vice-versa. You can use the Windows built-in time client (XP and higher, I think) to keep the clock adjusted automatically. I don't like the Windows time client because it's not real accurate, +/- 1 second. Or you can use a third-party time client, like Dimension Software's D4 SNTP time client or the Meinberg NTP time client/server. Googling will find you both of their websites, and both are free. D4 will get you to +/- 200 ms or so (close enough); Meinberg will get you to dead-nuts zero -- or realistically, to some +/- that you can't detect with your senses, probably +/- 20 ms or so. D4 is easier to install and configure, but it has never been updated specifically for Windows 7, so if you have that new OS, you might have to manipulate some stuff, like run the app in XP compatibility mode and/or as an administrator. Meinberg will run natively on Windows 7 with no hassles.

                    Finally, when using ANY third-party time client, you MUST disable the built-in Windows time service, or they will fight with each other over the clock, which ain't pretty. Disabling the Windows time service from the GUI level is buried under the clock display in the service tray, about five or six levels down. Not intuitive, but if you explore all the avenues there, you'll find it. You can also disable it using any of the Windows applets that allow you to access services, if you're more familiar with that level of Windows nuts-and-bolts.

                    If you're interested in this mode and need/want more help, write me off-list.

                    Bill W5WVO

                    I just received 8 LoTW confirmations for W1AW/8 for contacts on July 10th & July 11th. The 8 confirmations were for CW & SSB contacts during the IARU HF contest.

                    David - K2DSL

                  • w8jmf
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 23, 2010
                      Just got mine...