23377Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Moving to new computer

  • Joe
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dave & Rick, That did it and I'm up and running again with both LOTW and EQSL

    But.............

    And there is a but isn't there?

    Now this is more of a DXK problem so I'm also copying it there for contiguity.

    OK DXK seems to work fine but,,,
     I used the capture window to manually enter a new contact to test things out. and it all worked as I expected it to.

    Of corse when I told it to log it, it had the wrong date and time in the main log area, and that was a simple click in the window,, back space the wrong numbers and enter the correct date and time, and after done making the changes hit the save button.

    I do not know if that is the best way to do this but thats how I was doing it.

    anyway, a mouse click in the date and time windows place the curser into the window,

    and the left and right arrows can move the curser around but.

    backspace does nothing, so cant erase the wrong number

    Highlighting the wrong number with the mouse makes it blue but the delete key does nothing to change the entry.

    How do I change the date and time so it is correct?

    Joe WB9SBD
    Sig
    The Original Rolling Ball Clock
    Idle Tyme
    Idle-Tyme.com
    http://www.idle-tyme.com
    On 8/23/2014 7:51 AM, Rick Murphy k1mu@... [ARRL-LOTW] wrote:
    OK, that clarifies the issue.
    As Dave said, the instructions you're pointing to assume that you're moving from a functioning computer to another computer.
    Here's how you fix this, given that you're coming from a Windows XP system.
    I'm assuming that you had TQSL 2.0 on the Windows XP system. If not, then it's a bit uglier but still possible.

    If you were running TQSL 2.0 on the Windows XP system:

    1. On your destination machine, enable viewing of hidden folders. Do this by opening Windows Explorer (hold down the Windows and E keys together.). Then click on the "Organize" pulldown menu  Choose the "Folder and Search Options" entry. Go to the "View" tab and in the "Advanced settings" list, select the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" radio button. You can now close Windows Explorer.
    2. Connect the old hard drive to the destination machine.
    3. Start TQSL (2.0 or later) on the destination machine.
    4. Use the File menu, "Restore Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" menu entry.
    5. Browse to the old hard drive by clicking on the "My Computer" icon, then the icon for the old drive.
    6. Double click on the "Documents and Settings" folder.
    7. Double click on the icon for your username on the old computer.
    8. Double click on the "Application Data" folder.
    9. Double click on the "TrustedQSL" folder.
    10. Now, select the "tqslconfig.tbk" file in that folder and click "Open".

    That will restore your settings to the destination computer.

    If you don't have a good backup (.tbk) since you disabled that, or if you weren't running TQSL 2.0 (or later) you can move the "TrustedQSL" folder, but this is a bit trickier.
    1. On your destination machine, enable viewing of hidden folders. Do this by opening Windows Explorer (hold down the Windows and E keys together.). Then click on the "Organize" pulldown menu  Choose the "Folder and Search Options" entry. Go to the "View" tab and in the "Advanced settings" list, select the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" radio button. You can now close Windows Explorer.
    2. Connect the old hard drive to the destination machine. DO NOT have TQSL running.
    3. Open Windows Explorer.
    4. Type "%AppData%\TrustedQSL"  in the address bar.
    5. Use Edit/Select All, then type the Delete key. This will remove your current TQSL settings on the destination computer.
    6. Browse to the old hard drive by clicking on the "My Computer" icon, then the icon for the old drive.
    7. Double click on the "Documents and Settings" folder.
    8. Double click on the icon for your username on the old computer.
    9. Double click on the "Application Data" folder.
    10. Double click on the "TrustedQSL" folder.
    11. Use "Edit", "Select All", then "Edit", "Copy".
    12. Type "%AppData%\TrustedQSL" into the address bar.
    13. Use "Edit", "Paste" to move your old data onto the new computer.

    Now you can start TQSL and it will show your locations and certificates.
    It is VERY IMPORTANT to understand that unlike the first procedure, which adds only what's missing from the destination computer, the second procedure will wipe out your settings on the destination computer and replace it with the settings from the source computer.

    All of this can be avoided by making a .TBK on the source computer before you decommission it.

    On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM, Joe nss@... [ARRL-LOTW] <ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    [Attachment(s) from Joe included below]

    I 'm sorry first I should have saidf I'm looking at this page

    http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm

    and chose the option here,
    Moving All Callsign Certificates and Station Locations to Another Computer
    You can move all of your Callsign Certificates and Station Locations at once by
    1.Directing TQSL to create a Backup File.
    2.Copying the Backup File from the source computer to the destination computer.
    3.On the destination computer, directing TQSL to restore Callsign Certificates, Station Locations, and Preferences from the copied Backup File.

    Ok the new machine is as I said Win 7 and the old is now just the old drive connected with a USB adapter so i can see it as another drive on the new computer.

    But Now what?

    Joe WB9SBD

    The Original Rolling Ball Clock
    Idle Tyme
    Idle-Tyme.com
    http://www.idle-tyme.com
    On 8/22/2014 9:53 PM, ' Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [ARRL-LOTW] wrote:
    Certainly. What's the first step that's not clear to you, Joe?