23164Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: what version

    Aug 8, 2014
      On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Rick Murphy k1mu@... [ARRL-LOTW] <ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      That's correct. If you're stuck on XP, you can use Firefox to open websites that Internet Explorer won't allow.
      Heed Joe's comment though: you're using an unsupported operating system with known problems that Microsoft will NOT fix. All it takes is clicking on one bad link and your system is going to be taken over.

      I've made my living over most of the last 20 years administering *real* computers (http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-06-24/).  Don't like Microsoft for a number of reasons, both technical (mostly obsolete) and philosophical (mostly irrelevant).  I didn't update to W98SE (IMHO, the best of that line, an far superior to WMe) until I got a new laptop c.2000 and I didn't go to XP until about 2004 - 2005.

      However ... after XP SP2, Windows was pretty OK.  I was reluctant to move to W7, but I did and I have not been disappointed.  W7 is NOT my daily driver, for that I am split between OS X and Kubuntu, but I can tell you that OS X has locked up or otherwise died MANY more times than W7 (I checked, Steve Jobs is still dead.  And it shows.).

      The PC at N5UWY is an 8-year old Dell with all of 4 GB of RAM (my Macbook Pro has 16 GB) and W7 runs on it just fine.  Do you know how long that is in internet years??

      People need to figure out what they need to do to update to at least W7.  Maybe you need more RAM or a bigger disk.  Both are cheap.  If you do need a new computer, then get that one your son-in-law (or grandson) has given up on.

      Because if you don't you will become more unhappy and more grouchy with each passing week ...