      From: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>
      To: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, October 4, 2013 9:47 PM
      Subject: RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Is this a wise move?

      In an ideal world, each logged QSO should be submitted to LoTW exactly once. Anything more than that creates unnecessary load on the LoTW Server.

      Unfortunately, some ops routinely submit their entire log each time they work a few more QSOs, or after every contest. As a result, a large fraction of the load on the LotW Server is the unnecessary processing of what we loosely refer to as “duplicate QSOs” – QSOs whose information is unchanged from when they were previously submitted. Processing a duplicate QSO is not as expensive as processing a new QSO, as the LoTW database is not updated, but the aggregate load from duplicate QSOs is nonetheless significant. That’s why TQSL 1.14 keeps track of already-submitted QSOs and informs you when you attempt to submit a QSO that hasn’t changed since you last submitted it. That’s also why there is sensitivity here to submitting duplicate QSOs.

      There are good reasons to resubmit a previously submitted QSO. For example, you might receive email from a QSO partner asking that you add your grid square to your “Station Location” and re-submit your QSO  so that he or she can get VUCC credit. TQSL 1.14 won’t consider this a duplicate QSO, as some of its information has changed since when it was last submitted. The same thing might happen with your US State, or a QSO’s mode (if you submitted it with DATA rather than a specific mode designator like JT9 or JT65).

      In your situation, Dale, I recommend that you first delete any “made up calls for test purposes” from your log, if you can accurately identify them.  Submitting a few of these to LotW won’t hurt LotW, but may cause confusion for you later.

      Then direct your logging application to submit all QSOs not previously submitted to LotW; your QSO partners will appreciate it, but you won’t impose any unnecessary load on LotW.