CERTS

  • gdexter2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
      How does everyone use the CERTS Teams in their chapter? There is a
      active group in Kankakee and their Director is asking for the Kankakee
      Chapter DAT volunteers to be trained as part of the Kankakee CERTS.
      My concern would be that their first response for a disaster would be
      who's calling first? Would the county expect them to respond their
      call since they have funds invested in them as part of their or the
      chapter that offers free training? Our Board thought chapter
      employees would like to be trained in CERTS. Is any chapter employees
      trained in CERTS and if you are how do you use the training?
      Thanks
      Gale
    • Sondra Hayes
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
        Dear Gale,
        We don't have CERTS vol. in this area that I'm aware of.
        Sondra

        My e-mail address has changed to sondra@... and our
        chapter's website is www.archeartland.org. If necessary, please update
        your address book and bookmarks to reflect this change.

        How does everyone use the CERTS Teams in their chapter? There is a
        active group in Kankakee and their Director is asking for the Kankakee
        Chapter DAT volunteers to be trained as part of the Kankakee CERTS.
        My concern would be that their first response for a disaster would be
        who's calling first? Would the county expect them to respond their
        call since they have funds invested in them as part of their or the
        chapter that offers free training? Our Board thought chapter
        employees would like to be trained in CERTS. Is any chapter employees
        trained in CERTS and if you are how do you use the training?
        Thanks
        Gale

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Sharon Kersten
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
          I am a CERTS instructor but I do not have them active in our chapter. Our community doesn't see a need. They need to respond either as a CERT member 1ST and then Red Cross or just as a Red Cross volunteer. They did come to Utica, IL for the tornado and assisted with clean-up for a few days. Sharon Kersten, Lee County Chapter

          gdexter2001 <arckankakeecounty@...> wrote:
          How does everyone use the CERTS Teams in their chapter? There is a
          active group in Kankakee and their Director is asking for the Kankakee
          Chapter DAT volunteers to be trained as part of the Kankakee CERTS.
          My concern would be that their first response for a disaster would be
          who's calling first? Would the county expect them to respond their
          call since they have funds invested in them as part of their or the
          chapter that offers free training? Our Board thought chapter
          employees would like to be trained in CERTS. Is any chapter employees
          trained in CERTS and if you are how do you use the training?
          Thanks
          Gale

          Sharon R. Kersten, Disaster Services Coordinator, Lee County Chapter

        • Dorothy Yackley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
            Adams County Citizen Corps has CERT training and
            several from Red Cross have taken it. It is good
            training for everyone. If there is a disaster and you
            would be home, you could use what you learn at your
            home, then check your neighbor, then think of going
            out to volunteer in other areas.
            When we took it we told them we would be expected to
            serve Red Cross first and CERT second.
            During the time when they thought we would be getting
            Katrina people in our area, they called and asked the
            CERT members to do night shift motel/shelter
            monitoring, but that group never came to Quincy!
            Our Local Emergency Management has been keeping names
            of the CERT folks that would be available to form
            teams if needed in our county.
            Dorothy Yackley
            Adams County Chapter Disaster Services Director

            --- gdexter2001 <arckankakeecounty@...> wrote:

            > How does everyone use the CERTS Teams in their
            > chapter? There is a
            > active group in Kankakee and their Director is
            > asking for the Kankakee
            > Chapter DAT volunteers to be trained as part of the
            > Kankakee CERTS.
            > My concern would be that their first response for a
            > disaster would be
            > who's calling first? Would the county expect them
            > to respond their
            > call since they have funds invested in them as part
            > of their or the
            > chapter that offers free training? Our Board
            > thought chapter
            > employees would like to be trained in CERTS. Is any
            > chapter employees
            > trained in CERTS and if you are how do you use the
            > training?
            > Thanks
            > Gale

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Diane Logsdon
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
              Hi Gale,
              I know this may be a little tardy but i've only just joined the group
              and i'm trying to catch up...
              I am a CERT instructor as a volunteer for the Village of Palatine EMA.
              The village trains anyone who wishes to take the class regardless of
              their residency, organizational affiliation or intent to continue
              volunteering through EMA at no cost to the participant. The majority
              of the individuals who have completed the training are NOT active
              volunteers in Palatine or ARC programs. And the village is very well
              aware that as a paid staff member of the chapter, my first response
              will be to the chapter not their community.
              I was in Utica when the CERT members were utilized. It was a good
              exercise but the state has found that there is additional work to be
              done on liability and cost recovery for out of area deployments (for
              example, one of the Palatine members put a nail through each of his
              boots on scene). I think it is possible that it may become a mutual
              aid program but the intent of the program has always been on
              individual and community preparedness.
              The Chicago Chapter isn't active with CERT (although I wish we were
              since they teach wonderful skills to have in a disaster) through the
              communities or as an internal program. My instuction is as a volunteer
              within the community. The chapter volunteers who have taken the
              training through a local program are primary ARC responders rather
              than CERT. But we all know that immediately following a disaster, no
              one is going to respond if their family and neighborhood aren't taken
              care of and safe.
              I think CERT is an excellent opportunity to cross train with our
              partners and good skill building for our own teams. And who knows,
              maybe some of their members will be interested in volunteering with us
              in order to deploy out of the area...
              Plus, the CERT Funding through the ITTF are tax payer dollars to
              Homeland Security ~ so I would hope the program Director would have no
              expectation of repayment or that anyone is obligated to respond.
              Basically, I would recommend partnering with your local program with
              the understanding that the entire community will benefit when your
              response staff can take care of themselves and their family in order
              to do their response job effectively through the Red Cross.
              Feel free to call if you would like to talk about the CERT activity in
              this area. 847 878 6696 cell or 312 729 6246 office. Diane

              --- In ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com, "gdexter2001"
              <arckankakeecounty@...> wrote:

              > How does everyone use the CERTS Teams in their chapter? There is a
              > active group in Kankakee and their Director is asking for the
              Kankakee
              > Chapter DAT volunteers to be trained as part of the Kankakee CERTS.
              > My concern would be that their first response for a disaster would
              be
              > who's calling first? Would the county expect them to respond their
              > call since they have funds invested in them as part of their or the
              > chapter that offers free training? Our Board thought chapter
              > employees would like to be trained in CERTS. Is any chapter
              employees
              > trained in CERTS and if you are how do you use the training?
              > Thanks
              > Gale

            • classicridin42
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
                Gale,

                We in LaSalle County also have CERT teams that are also cross
                trained in Red Cross classes and visa versa. We have 7 instructors
                and a good majority of our Chapter Red Cross volunteers are CERT
                trained. Deployment procedures are different for each discipline
                and we also teach them not to "cross" lines (or do provide both
                services) when deployed. Our overall program has about 90 CERT
                members and we continue to grow as we are training people on a
                quarterly basis, including people outside our county. I'd be happy
                to talk more with you about what's worked and hasn't in our areas.
                I can be reached at (815)481-3369.

                Thanks. Connie Brooks

                --- In ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Logsdon"