RE: [ARC_IL_DisasterServices] Destroyed ID's

  • John Weibull
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2007

      Replacement Social Security Card for a U.S.-Born Citizen

      You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if  you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

      To get a replacement card:

      Citizenship

      We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.

      Identity

      We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

      • U.S. driver¬ís license;
      • State-issued nondriver identification card; or
      • U.S. passport.

      If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

      • Employee ID card;
      • School ID card;
      • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
      • U.S. military ID card; or
      • Adoption decree.

      We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity.

      All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

      We will mail your card as soon as we have all of your information and have verified your documents. Your replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card.

      Keep your Social Security card in a safe place. It is an important document. Do not carry it with you.

      From: "Glenda Plunkett" <gplunkett@midillino isredcross. org>

      You can replace the social security card but it takes 2 weeks. (You are only
      allowed 10 cards in a lifetime). I had to replace my son's so that he could
      get his license. You must have two forms of identification such as the
      original birth certificate and documentation from school (such as a High
      School diploma). You can look on the federal website (Google Social
      Security) and it will list what he can use for identification. Then after
      replacing the social security card he can easily replace his driver's
      license.

      Sincerely,
      Glenda Plunkett
      Shelby-Moultrie Service Center Manager