Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [ARC_IL_DisasterServices] Destroyed ID's

Expand Messages
  • John Weibull
    Replacement Social Security Card for a U.S.-Born Citizen You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2007

      Replacement Social Security Card for a U.S.-Born Citizen

      You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if  you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

      To get a replacement card:


      We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.


      We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

      • U.S. driver¬ís license;
      • State-issued nondriver identification card; or
      • U.S. passport.

      If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

      • Employee ID card;
      • School ID card;
      • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
      • U.S. military ID card; or
      • Adoption decree.

      We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity.

      All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

      We will mail your card as soon as we have all of your information and have verified your documents. Your replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card.

      Keep your Social Security card in a safe place. It is an important document. Do not carry it with you.


      From: ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of arckankakeecounty@...
      Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:58 AM
      To: ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ARC_IL_DisasterServices] Destroyed ID's

      This guy told me that you can't get the social security card without the driver's license and the Driver's License Bureau told him he can't get the license without the social security card.
      ------------ -- Original message ------------ --
      From: "Glenda Plunkett" <gplunkett@midillino isredcross. org>

      You can replace the social security card but it takes 2 weeks. (You are only
      allowed 10 cards in a lifetime). I had to replace my son's so that he could
      get his license. You must have two forms of identification such as the
      original birth certificate and documentation from school (such as a High
      School diploma). You can look on the federal website (Google Social
      Security) and it will list what he can use for identification. Then after
      replacing the social security card he can easily replace his driver's

      Glenda Plunkett
      Shelby-Moultrie Service Center Manager
      Mid Illinois Chapter
      American Red Cross
      1403 West Main Street
      Shelbyville. IL 62565
      Office: 217 774-4122
      Fax: 217 774-1322
      Cell: 217 827-4403
      Member of Moultrie County United Way

      -----Original Message-----
      From: ARC_IL_DisasterServ ices@yahoogroups .com
      [mailto:ARC_IL_DisasterServ ices@yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of gdexter2001
      Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:20 PM
      To: ARC_IL_DisasterServ ices@yahoogroups .com
      Subject: [ARC_IL_DisasterSer vices] Destroyed ID's

      What do chapter's do when fire client states driver's license lost in
      fire and so was Social Security card? You can't replace IL license
      without social security card and can't replace social secuity card
      without driver's license.
      Gale Dexter
      Kankakee County Chapter

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.