Re: CERTS

  • Diane Logsdon
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi Gale,
      I know this may be a little tardy but i've only just joined the group
      and i'm trying to catch up...
      I am a CERT instructor as a volunteer for the Village of Palatine EMA.
      The village trains anyone who wishes to take the class regardless of
      their residency, organizational affiliation or intent to continue
      volunteering through EMA at no cost to the participant. The majority
      of the individuals who have completed the training are NOT active
      volunteers in Palatine or ARC programs. And the village is very well
      aware that as a paid staff member of the chapter, my first response
      will be to the chapter not their community.
      I was in Utica when the CERT members were utilized. It was a good
      exercise but the state has found that there is additional work to be
      done on liability and cost recovery for out of area deployments (for
      example, one of the Palatine members put a nail through each of his
      boots on scene). I think it is possible that it may become a mutual
      aid program but the intent of the program has always been on
      individual and community preparedness.
      The Chicago Chapter isn't active with CERT (although I wish we were
      since they teach wonderful skills to have in a disaster) through the
      communities or as an internal program. My instuction is as a volunteer
      within the community. The chapter volunteers who have taken the
      training through a local program are primary ARC responders rather
      than CERT. But we all know that immediately following a disaster, no
      one is going to respond if their family and neighborhood aren't taken
      care of and safe.
      I think CERT is an excellent opportunity to cross train with our
      partners and good skill building for our own teams. And who knows,
      maybe some of their members will be interested in volunteering with us
      in order to deploy out of the area...
      Plus, the CERT Funding through the ITTF are tax payer dollars to
      Homeland Security ~ so I would hope the program Director would have no
      expectation of repayment or that anyone is obligated to respond.
      Basically, I would recommend partnering with your local program with
      the understanding that the entire community will benefit when your
      response staff can take care of themselves and their family in order
      to do their response job effectively through the Red Cross.
      Feel free to call if you would like to talk about the CERT activity in
      this area. 847 878 6696 cell or 312 729 6246 office. Diane

      --- In ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com, "gdexter2001"
      <arckankakeecounty@...> wrote:

      > How does everyone use the CERTS Teams in their chapter? There is a
      > active group in Kankakee and their Director is asking for the
      Kankakee
      > Chapter DAT volunteers to be trained as part of the Kankakee CERTS.
      > My concern would be that their first response for a disaster would
      be
      > who's calling first? Would the county expect them to respond their
      > call since they have funds invested in them as part of their or the
      > chapter that offers free training? Our Board thought chapter
      > employees would like to be trained in CERTS. Is any chapter
      employees
      > trained in CERTS and if you are how do you use the training?
      > Thanks
      > Gale

    • classicridin42
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
        Gale,

        We in LaSalle County also have CERT teams that are also cross
        trained in Red Cross classes and visa versa. We have 7 instructors
        and a good majority of our Chapter Red Cross volunteers are CERT
        trained. Deployment procedures are different for each discipline
        and we also teach them not to "cross" lines (or do provide both
        services) when deployed. Our overall program has about 90 CERT
        members and we continue to grow as we are training people on a
        quarterly basis, including people outside our county. I'd be happy
        to talk more with you about what's worked and hasn't in our areas.
        I can be reached at (815)481-3369.

        Thanks. Connie Brooks

        --- In ARC_IL_DisasterServices@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Logsdon"