nathan: transparent foil

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      hello,
      while looking up info for my own work, i came across the "eden project," a series of weird
      geodesic dome structures covered in ETFE--which may be the transparent foil you mentioned in class
      the other day? there's some very interesting stuff about it at the eden project site:
      http://www.edenproject.com/3440_3472.htm

      also, here's an article on various "fabrics," including ETFE.
      http://archrecord.construction.com/resources/conteduc/archives/0204Fabrics-1.asp

      hope it helps!
      ~jennifer

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jerry Lum
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
        Jen, thanks for sharing these resources with everyone. It demonstrates how material research and development can be used architecturally to not only pragmatically respond to human needs, but also be used in the service of imbuing the environments we design with qualities of light and light-filled experiences.

        Jerry

        >>> obleo09@... 04/02/06 8:57 PM >>>
        hello,
        while looking up info for my own work, i came across the "eden project," a series of weird
        geodesic dome structures covered in ETFE--which may be the transparent foil you mentioned in class
        the other day?  there's some very interesting stuff about it at the eden project site:
        http://www.edenproject.com/3440_3472.htm

        also, here's an article on various "fabrics," including ETFE.
        http://archrecord.construction.com/resources/conteduc/archives/0204Fabrics-1.asp

        hope it helps!
        ~jennifer

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jerry Lum
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          Wll, your questions are well-formed and should guide your explorations, particularly as you imbue your design with more spatial meanings (place-making) in addition to form-making. And I'm looking forward to seeing your progress this Wednesday!

          ;-)

          >>> willpuckett@... 03/31/06 8:25 AM >>>
          I would be the other "volunteer." Sorry it's taken me so long to get
          the info up, but here it is:

          "You gotta have the right tools AND know what you're doing"

          This was a quote of Jerry in regards to something about Daniel's work,
          but I found it really meaningful. I am nothing if not a lover of
          tools. Tempering this is a good focus.

          Continued focus on: Sequence, Expansion, Comression, and relational
          coloring, using veiling to build meaning and significgance on the
          journey of the user (occupant) of space.

          The larger the compression, the more impact it is...

          What is the framed moment? It uses human scale and something to
          reference differences... Although it still seems loosely defined to
          me. Does it literally have to have a frame? How do these framed
          moments relay our experiences of space? To what extent do they depend
          on this thing called context? How do we take these moments from
          expressing our experiences to designing/generating experiences for
          others?

          This leads to assessing what we know, recounting what we know, and
          applying it....

          I am still having problems shifting from thinking of objects to
          emptiness. This is manifest in my torso like work, using body as
          solid. As I begin to explore techniques for shifting my way of
          thinking, I move focus from figure to field. How do we think about
          form and its definition of the experience of space? How does bouding
          affect the differentiation and experience of space?

          Here we compared the small mountain warming hut to the gothic
          cathedreal. The first is significigant because of its place in the
          hugeness of the mountain; its existence on a human scale is inviting
          to us because everything else around us there is so momentous. The
          Cathedreal inhabits the center of our towns and marks the center with
          its steeple.

          The air that fills the emptinesses/interiors of these spaces is
          (basically) the same, yet the experience of the spaces is vastly
          different. Is this exercise increasing the sensitivity to place?

          Isolating some of the essential qualities of the Stud (thanks Jerry),
          there is a travel through the danger and isolation of the urban
          environment to a celebration of life. This is heightened by the
          "adventure" through turning corners and small places on a human scale.
          The reprieve of the alley provides contrasts from the experiences
          within.

          Articulations of space (like in a digestive system) keep us from being
          trapped by the self-contained, fully-defined, unknown-less. (Not
          good.)

          We also talked about the roots of trees, and how they interact with
          the ground. This made me think of a picture from a book I have, so
          I've scanned it and attached it. It is very poorly photoshopped
          together (2 pages becoming 1 jpg). If anyone wants to use it in the
          future, just let me know, and I will produce a tidier version. The
          caption of the picture reads "Tree Roots, Guatemala."

          Hope everyone has an excellent weekend, looking forward to Monday,

          WP

          P.S.--I'm beginning to think about how our 2nd half of the semester
          work will tie together. In addition to design language, massing
          studies, and structural studies, what else should I consider?

          Thanks!

          On 3/29/06, Jerry Lum <jlum@...> wrote:

          > Kerry, thanks for this
          contribution. Your inspiration and participation
          > today are missed and I
          hope you are well. Look for notes and the homework
          > assignment in
          Nathan's posting. I believe another classmate will also post
          > their
          version, but at this moment, I just can't remember who else

          volunteered!

          > See you this coming Monday.

          Jerry

          > Well of course I'm all behind this week. Here are
          my notes, slightly
          > different
          > and re-worded so as to be general
          for everyone:

          > Learn good patterns of behavior. Be consistent.
          (unlike myself this week,
          > hmm)
          >
          > How do I turn the
          unexpected and mysterious into a place that others will
          > want
          return to and enjoy?

          > How will I use the "site" as
          "canvas"?

          > What is the worth of designing something that
          transitions from
          > "path/journey"
          > to "place"?
          >
          > In
          analyzing an idea or segment of a design: create a list of "+" and "-"

          points;
          > this can help avoid pitfalls and stumbling blocks in the design
          process.

          > If production is beginning to result in negativity:
          STOP. Ask WHY. Find
          > alternatives to EXPLORE.
          >
          > Assignment
          for Wednesday, March 29:
          > 1. An iteration (model) exploring
          skeleton/skin/grounding.
          > 2. Draw section(s) of the iteration on sheets
          no larger than 24 x 36 inches.

          > Yahoo!
          Groups Links

          ________________________________
          >  YAHOO! GROUPS
          LINKS

          >  Visit your group "ARCH24" on the
          web.

          >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
          to:

          >  Your use of
          Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Will Puckett
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
            Me too!

            On 4/3/06, Jerry Lum <jlum@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > hmm)
            > >
            > > How do I turn the unexpected and mysterious into a place that others will
            > > want
            > > to return to and enjoy?
            > >
            > > How will I use the "site" as "canvas"?
            > >
            > > What is the worth of designing something that transitions from
            > > "path/journey"
            > > to "place"?
            > >
            > > In analyzing an idea or segment of a design: create a list of "+" and "-"
            > > points;
            > > this can help avoid pitfalls and stumbling blocks in the design process.
            > >
            > > If production is beginning to result in negativity: STOP. Ask WHY. Find
            > > alternatives to EXPLORE.
            > >
            > > Assignment for Wednesday, March 29:
            > > 1. An iteration (model) exploring skeleton/skin/grounding.
            > > 2. Draw section(s) of the iteration on sheets no larger than 24 x 36

          • nathan
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
              hey thanks,

              Funny, today I found the same ETFE stuff? It's used on the renovation
              of the "lion house" at the bronx zoo. In placce of the typical 4'x8'
              skylight they are placing layers of sheets in an aluminum frame and
              inflating the cavity between the layers. On some they use three
              layers of thermoplastic foil stuff with two cavities in between in
              order to control light transmitance: "We can eject air out of the top
              layer, put more into the bottom chamber, and move the middle foil up
              to the top layer" ed peck- Foiltec

              This is really similar to the texture and quality of material I am
              looking for. I really like the thought of some giant billowy sheets
              interacting across a void to vary light transmitance.

              From your article: "ETFE is tough. A single inflated pillow can take
              the weight of a rugby team", sounds perfect.