Re: Portfolio

  • Ashley Weiss
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      Woah! Thanks for putting all that time into
      responding and giving me feedback. Yeah, I was really
      pissed actually because my presentation wasn't all
      messed up when it was on my computer, so I don't know
      what happened when I put it on cd. I hate it when
      things look messy because I was so careful when I put
      it together! Damn! Anyway, have a great summer and
      good luck grading all of the portfolios. I've really
      learned so so much this semester. Thank you for being
      a great teacher, even though you're kinda crazy.
      Which makes things interesting.
      Ashley
      P.S. When you are done with all this craziness, is it
      possible to get a letter of recommendation from you
      for applying to schools? That would be amazing. Let
      me know if there's more info you need to write it.

    • Jerry Lum
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hi Ashley.

        Here's the requisite info to be submitted to any instructor to whom you are requesting a letter of recommendation:

        Deadlines for submittals
        Addressee(s) for the letter
        Addressed and stamped envelope(s)
        Require forms filled out by you, if any
        A synopsis of your tenure here, not only of your experiences in my class, but in others as it relates to your development...thinking, making, conceptualizing, bringing ideas to levels of relational meaning and architectonic refinement
        Your letter of intent addressing areas of study, how past and present experiences inform your pursuit of an architectural education
        Copy of your transcript
        Any other essential information that gives me a deep insight into your capacity to succeed in a highly competitive academic environment

        Let me know if this needs to be completed over the summer break, otherwise, this information package may be submitted to me in the fall. Any information that is not for public eyes, should be sent directly to my email address (Yahoo Groups are transparent to the universe!) Enjoy a wonderful summer!

        Jerry

        >>> ash_weiss@... 06/01/07 12:48 PM >>>

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2008
          Hi Laura and All.

          Yes, I'm better and almost fully recovered. Thanks for your well wishes.
          Your method of assembling your portfolio will work. Photoshop and
          similar applications can be used to size and tweek your digital images.
          They can be printed from any laser or inkjet printer and simply
          incorporated into your portfolio. If you have the facility, page layout
          applications like In-Design and Quark can be used to integrate text and
          images into a page composition. This is not absolutely necessary. What
          is is that each student document ALL WORK, organize it chronologically
          to clearly demonstrate the evolution of learning and a full commitment
          to the course; and with corresponding written reflections that
          demonstrate essential critical thinking that promotes learning
          successes.

          Just imagine that you are me. I have two studio courses with almost 50
          portfolios to review and assess. Put it in a form that is organized,
          clear, and demonstrates a commitment to quality. Foremost, make this
          just another part of your valuable learning experience.

          See you all tomorrow,
          Jerry

          >>> Laura Perez <lauraperezarchitecture@...> 10/05/08 4:34 PM >>>
          Hello Jerry,

          Hoping that this message finds you healthier... I am looking for some
          clarification on the learning portfolio. My idea of the format would be
          to photograph each model (a couple of views each), then photocopy my
          drawings, add my thoughts and bind it together... I guess I can do this
          using photoshop? Or would you prefer it done by hand? I am not sure what
          the guidelines are, or how strict they are... How many pages, type size,
          amount of text, etc...

          Maybe this is something that everyone learned in Arch 20? But I didn't
          take Arch 20 class at CCSF, I took an equivalent class in Miami.

          Please let me know how far or close I am to what you are expecting to
          see on both Tuesday and Thursday.

          Thank you and I hope you are having a pleasant weekend,
          Laura