thursday's class

  • luciastrickland
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
      hello all,
      I am assuming that the assignment for monday is to build a model based on the
      results of the study drawings we started in class on tuesday. Is this true? I wasn't
      in class on thursday and would really appreciate to hear anything anyone of you
      might be able to add. Enjoy the weekend; I'll see you on tuesday.
      Lucia
    • Ellix
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
        hey lucia,
        We basically did the critiques on the study drawings
        on Thursday. We discusses the insights, developments,
        and issues of our designs in the drawings. We will do
        the same thing for next tuesday. So the assignment of
        thursday is just another 2 sets of drawings like we
        did on tuesday.

        have a good weekend,

        --- luciastrickland <luciastrickland@...> wrote:

        > hello all,
        > I am assuming that the assignment for monday is to
        > build a model based on the
        > results of the study drawings we started in class on
        > tuesday. Is this true? I wasn't
        > in class on thursday and would really appreciate to
        > hear anything anyone of you
        > might be able to add. Enjoy the weekend; I'll see
        > you on tuesday.
        >

        > Lucia

      • Jerry Lum
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
          Hey Lucia...we missed you and hope you are recovering well and soon back to good health!

          Here's what we covered on Thursday:
          Critiques of drawings revealed the following;

          For the most part, students are finding drawing explorations revealing and helpful. Helpful because there are insights gained that are different than those from model making only. These relate to expressions of primary, secondary and tertiary design aspects that are expressive (or not) of ideas of body and soul. For some, more detail and clarification are required because their ideas are simply just too general and therefore not providing a direction for their process of design. For those in this category, they must do the hard work of thinking beyond the superficial and assuming a position on how body and soul relates specifically to them.

          Others realized from their drawings that their primary statements are not fully emphasized and clearly readable. They are exploring ways to bring this about...changing scale, size, placement, creating multiples (repetition and rhythm), etc. Also looking at the relationship between the primary and other hierarchical elements to see if there is enough "breathing room" between them to bring about a clear reading of each component's integrity.

          We also examined the dialogue between the hierarchical aspects and asked the question, "what are the intended responses between these elements in conversation with each other?" How can we redesign them to make these "discussions" clearly readable?

          For Tuesday, use the insights, opportunities, and issues identified from the last set (two elevations or plan views, one familiar and one least addressed) and refine in a series of drawn overlays to arrive at another milestone of refinement and clarity. Pay careful attention to evolving alignments, rhythms and intervals, motifs and their variations, etc...in essence, emerging algorithms (patterns of logic or reasons for the what, why, where, when, and how of each aspect of our design). Continue with reductive analysis and development, e.g. using an overlay, explore and record only one hierarchical aspect at a time.

          Make sure that your drawings use proper hierarchical line weight so that they are as readable as possible from at least five feet away. Text, annotations, arrows, etc. should be used in addition to the drawn images. Color may be used to emphasize and reveal repetitive intervals, common centerlines, critical alignments, and regulating lines (parallel sets of expressions). Color or textures may be used to distinguish between different aspects or sets of aspects (essential groups).

          Of course, constructed gestures, whole or parts may be used to explore drawn ideas. Some students intend to build more gesture models and photograph them to trace the images as a way of generating drawn images. Essentially, whatever works to make each activity meaningful and allow progress to develop.

          See you all on Tuesday and hope you all enjoy the "play" that should be a part of these iterative explorations. Oh! One more thing, as ideas spring up in your head, execute them on tracing paper or in model form. Make all ideas, thoughts, possibilities materialize through these two media. Then we always have something tangible to respond to in order to move forward. Think + Do, Do + Think!

          Cheers,
          Jerry

          >>> awu_5@... 04/08/05 11:14 PM >>>