ARCH 101 Fall 2012, TR Section (of interest to MW Section too!)-Please read!

  • Jerry Lum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2012
      Students who missed class or are in need of additional guidance are always welcome to come and participate in our MW section sessions, 9-12 noon. The same goes for students of our MW section.

      For this Monday:
      Please bring your charcoal sticks and roll of tracing paper. Yesterday in our TR Section, I introduced the value and purpose of sketching on trace to carefully observe in detail what you've made, a snap shot of where you currently stand. Through analysis of this snap shot, you realize what aspects of your design language are emerging, or not. We look at (your snap shot drawings should visually communicate these relationships):

      proportional relationships,
      alignments,
      shared centers,
      relationships between intersections,
      angles,
      edge directions,
      shapes,
      sizes,
      proximity, and
      order.

      With our best analysis of the situation, we then formulate a series of hypotheses. For examples:

      "If I orient these groups of elements parallel to each other, I can establish a higher level of unity by establishing a higher visible level of repetitive order."

      "If I move these groups of elements closer together and align their end points so that an implied edge is readable to others, the boundaries of shapes within my overall composition will be clearly read and discernible by others."

      "If I make these sets of forms proportional in size to each other, I can create a dynamic sense of unity and balance between them...they are related through scale.

      It's not a matter of choosing between these, selecting one, and then using a series of overlay tracing paper to explore the worth of these approaches, but instead, pursuing all of them in drawn form so that the best result is then constructed.

      Bring in:

      Your Program of requirements, limitations, and objectives (including your selected critical question that is framing your quest for an answer) that focus on the abstract, but clear communication of Eleanor's significant qualities through a constructed design language (in other words, your constructed iterations are personifications of Eleanor);

      Your latest iteration (along with at least your last three) that attempts to satisfy your Program requirements and objectives within the limitations set forth by me;

      Your rationale that supports every major aspect of your latest iteration (why did you do the things you did that we can see in your design?);

      Read Chapter 4, "Space" in our Text and identify something within that inspires and/or provokes both your thinking and making; and

      Your 50 yds of 12" or 18" tracing paper along with charcoal sticks, B or 2B in grade. Having a flat string tie portfolio or tube to carry your work back and forth from school to home will be greatly beneficial!

      Lastly, there are no classes on Wednesday, 12 September 2012, because faculty and administrators are conducting workshops and meetings related to our current accreditation crisis.

      See you on Monday and don't forget to enjoy all of your hard work as a worthy investment in your future!
      Jerry