Re: [ARCH21] Re: Book list

  • Jane Han
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2011
      I enjoyed "Designing Design" by Kenya Hara. It's got some conceptual work that ranges from printing techniques to product design from Japanese designers. It's a beautiful and inspiring book. Check it out.

      http://www.designersreviewofbooks.com/2009/03/designing-design/

      Jane

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Jerry Lum <jlum@...> wrote:

      Thanks Chris for your recommendation. Here's another up your alley:

      Kanai, Masaaki, et. al. Muji. New York: Rizzoli International Publications, Inc., 2010. ISBN: 978-0-8478-7.

      This is a well-known and respected Japanese company founded on the dual positions of no brand (mukrushi) and the value of good items (ryohin).

      Jerry

      >>> "Chris" 09/30/11 1:05 PM >>>

      I love books about desirable things, things designed well and beautifully. A book that is similar that I've read is "The language of things" deyan sudjic. Its interesting to read about an archetype of certain everyday things. I've started a collection of old cell phones that I find throughout the city. I picked up an old 1985 satellite phone from a junk shop in the mission recently. Supposedly its one of the first mobile phones. I'm still on the hunt for a brick style phone, you know, the Zach Morris phone from Saved by the bell...awesome!

      An interesting documentary to watch about the design of everyday things is Objectified directed by Gary Hustwitz. Check it out if you haven't already.

      Chris

      --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Lum" wrote:

      > Yes Peter, thanks for reminding me of this. Here's the full bibliography:
      >

      > Norman, Donald A. The Design of Everyday Things. New York: Basic Books, 2002. ISBN 0-465-06710-7.

      > "The Design of Everyday Things"
      >
      > --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Jerry,
      > > I wanted to start a thread about interesting books you and other students could recommend to read. I am a big fan of books that have broad range of interesting information pertaining to architecture, design and culture. I am currently reading "The Chair, Rethinking, culture, body and design." by Galen Cranz.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Christopher Warren

    • Jerry Lum
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2011
        Gosh this book looks absolutely gorgeous! There's only one left on Amazon for $349.95! I've got it in my "save for later" just in case I find the pocket change.

        Thanks Jane for sharing this rare gem.
        Jerry

        On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Jerry Lum wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Thanks Chris for your recommendation. Here's another up your alley:
        >
        > Kanai, Masaaki, et. al. Muji. New York: Rizzoli International Publications,
        > Inc., 2010. ISBN: 978-0-8478-7.
        >
        > This is a well-known and respected Japanese company founded on the dual
        > positions of no brand (mukrushi) and the value of good items (ryohin).
        >
        > Jerry

        > I love books about desirable things, things designed well and beautifully.
        > A book that is similar that I've read is "The language of things" deyan
        > sudjic. Its interesting to read about an archetype of certain everyday
        > things. I've started a collection of old cell phones that I find throughout
        > the city. I picked up an old 1985 satellite phone from a junk shop in the
        > mission recently. Supposedly its one of the first mobile phones. I'm still
        > on the hunt for a brick style phone, you know, the Zach Morris phone from
        > Saved by the bell...awesome!
        >
        > An interesting documentary to watch about the design of everyday things is
        > Objectified directed by Gary Hustwitz. Check it out if you haven't already.
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Lum" wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes Peter, thanks for reminding me of this. Here's the full bibliography:
        > >

        > > Norman, Donald A. The Design of Everyday Things. New York: Basic Books,
        > 2002. ISBN 0-465-06710-7.

        > > "The Design of Everyday Things"
        > >
        > > --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hey Jerry,
        > > > I wanted to start a thread about interesting books you and other
        > students could recommend to read. I am a big fan of books that have broad
        > range of interesting information pertaining to architecture, design and
        > culture. I am currently reading "The Chair, Rethinking, culture, body and
        > design." by Galen Cranz.
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Christopher Warren

      • Jane Han
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2011
          I actually own a copy of it... The cover got a bit roughed up during the move but the pages are still in great condition. I'll bring it in on Tuesday, you must read it!

          Jane

        • Jerry Lum
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2011
            Incredible! I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thank you and hope your weekend is enjoyable.

            Jerry

            On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Jerry Lum wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Gosh this book looks absolutely gorgeous! There's only one left on Amazon
            > for $349.95! I've got it in my "save for later" just in case I find the
            > pocket change.
            >
            > Thanks Jane for sharing this rare gem.
            > Jerry

            > I enjoyed "Designing Design" by Kenya Hara. It's got some conceptual work
            > that ranges from printing techniques to product design from Japanese
            > designers. It's a beautiful and inspiring book. Check it out.
            >
            > http://www.designersreviewofbooks.com/2009/03/designing-design/
            >
            > Jane
            >
            > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Jerry Lum wrote:
            >
            > > **
            >

            > > Thanks Chris for your recommendation. Here's another up your alley:
            > >
            > > Kanai, Masaaki, et. al. Muji. New York: Rizzoli International
            > Publications,
            > > Inc., 2010. ISBN: 978-0-8478-7.
            > >
            > > This is a well-known and respected Japanese company founded on the dual
            > > positions of no brand (mukrushi) and the value of good items (ryohin).
            > >
            > > Jerry

            > > I love books about desirable things, things designed well and
            > beautifully.
            > > A book that is similar that I've read is "The language of things" deyan
            > > sudjic. Its interesting to read about an archetype of certain everyday
            > > things. I've started a collection of old cell phones that I find
            > throughout
            > > the city. I picked up an old 1985 satellite phone from a junk shop in the
            > > mission recently. Supposedly its one of the first mobile phones. I'm
            > still
            > > on the hunt for a brick style phone, you know, the Zach Morris phone from
            > > Saved by the bell...awesome!
            > >
            > > An interesting documentary to watch about the design of everyday things
            > is
            > > Objectified directed by Gary Hustwitz. Check it out if you haven't
            > already.
            > >
            > > Chris
            > >
            > > --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Lum" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yes Peter, thanks for reminding me of this. Here's the full
            > bibliography:
            > > >

            > > > Norman, Donald A. The Design of Everyday Things. New York: Basic Books,
            > > 2002. ISBN 0-465-06710-7.

            > > students could recommend to read. I am a big fan of books that have broad
            > > range of interesting information pertaining to architecture, design and
            > > culture. I am currently reading "The Chair, Rethinking, culture, body and
            > > design." by Galen Cranz.

          • mary.yan82
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 5, 2011
              Thank you to the person to started the book list! I have never been a design aficionado and believe that the more one sees the more one can see, so I have a lot of catching up to do. Love books. Love 'em!

              Jane's post about /Designing Design/ got me very interested in looking for the book so I found the publisher and contacted them for information about the possibility of a re-print. Jane said the book was under $100 when she purchased it two years ago! Sure enough, the publisher lists the book at $55 USD. Kenya Hara also just had an exhibition with the same title in Beijing (http://www.artlinkart.com/en/exhibition/overview/8c5buxum) so I can't imagine more of his materials NOT coming out.

              Meanwhile, the publisher seems to have a lot of pretty-looking books on design: http://www.artlinkart.com/en/exhibition/overview/8c5buxum

              If anyone other than Jerry is interested I'll keep y'all posted.
            • Jerry Lum
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 5, 2011
                Thanks Mary for writing the publisher on everyone's behalf. Today, I just found a source, actually two sources, but after doing some research, decided to order from the one that had a much better reputation rather than the lowest price, 4th behind Amazon, Borders, and Powell's Books in terms of reliability and quality of service. The name of this online store is booksamillion.com. Here's their link to this book:

                http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Designing-Design/Kenya-Hara/9783037781050

                I also found a coupon for $10 off:

                http://www.mycoupons.com/store/booksamillion.com

                Using this when you are ordering brings the price down to $45 with free shipping. I usually order from Amazon, but their price from this highly regarded and reliable online source is $349. This is my first interaction with booksamillion.com, so I won't know if my decision and investment will have a happy outcome. I'll let you know one way or another when I receive this book.

                Jerry

                >>> "mary.yan82" 10/05/11 5:54 PM >>>
[...]

              • JR
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 6, 2011
                  Hello all,

                  I picked up an interesting book yesterday from the Builders Bookstore in Berkeley. Just stumbled upon it while running errands. It's called "Small Scale Big Change" and it's about Public Interest Design.

                  http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2010/smallscalebigchange/

                  I would recommend it for anyone who is interested in the subject. It talks about the history of public interest work and how it ties into the architectural history of the last 100 years or so. These "Pro Bono" projects have been popular for awhile now on a large scale, but more recently, an emphasis has been placed on smaller, more manageable projects, focusing on the disenfranchised portion of the population.

                  Anybody have any bright ideas for San Francisco? The city serves as a great laboratory for such endeavors.

                  -James

                  --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cdub.harrell@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Jerry,
                  > I wanted to start a thread about interesting books you and other students could recommend to read. I am a big fan of books that have broad range of interesting information pertaining to architecture, design and culture. I am currently reading "The Chair, Rethinking, culture, body and design." by Galen Cranz.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Christopher Warren

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                    Just picked up a copy of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. A classic book about architecture and the drive to succeed. Check it out if you haven't already.

                    Chris Harrell

                    --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "JR" <nextstopcairo@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > I picked up an interesting book yesterday from the Builders Bookstore in Berkeley. Just stumbled upon it while running errands. It's called "Small Scale Big Change" and it's about Public Interest Design.
                    >
                    > http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2010/smallscalebigchange/
                    >
                    > I would recommend it for anyone who is interested in the subject. It talks about the history of public interest work and how it ties into the architectural history of the last 100 years or so. These "Pro Bono" projects have been popular for awhile now on a large scale, but more recently, an emphasis has been placed on smaller, more manageable projects, focusing on the disenfranchised portion of the population.
                    >
                    > Anybody have any bright ideas for San Francisco? The city serves as a great laboratory for such endeavors.
                    >
                    > -James
                    >
                    > --- In ARCH21@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cdub.harrell@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey Jerry,
                    > > I wanted to start a thread about interesting books you and other students could recommend to read. I am a big fan of books that have broad range of interesting information pertaining to architecture, design and culture. I am currently reading "The Chair, Rethinking, culture, body and design." by Galen Cranz.
                    > >
                    > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Christopher Warren

                  • Jerry Lum
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                      Yes, this is a book that many of us read while in school because it heroically triumphs creative individualism from a somewhat existentialist's point of view. Often we felt (incorrectly) as though we were one voice drowned out by that of the hegemony and this was a simple way of validating at least our feelings at the moment.

                      For those who want to share this experience of reading Fountainhead, here's a link (yes, it's Wikipedia!):

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountainhead

                      It's interesting that Ayn Rand had to overcome overwhelming resistance to publish her novel and ironic that popular opinion launched her fame!

                      Now, how are all of you doing with your iterative studies to develop both your tectonic language and your design process? Are you a Roark or a Keatings?

                      ;-)

                    • cdub.zoobz@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                        My iterative process is coming along. I decided to use a few different materials including plaster of paris....what a mess. I do however have a clear idea of what I am trying to develop in this iteration. My design process is becoming more fluid and I hope that this will be apparent in my constructions.

                        ps
                        I definitely am identifying with Roark in this construction. Thinking outta the box on this one

                        Ciao!

                        Chris

                        --

                        Christopher Harrell
                        cdub.harrell@...

                      • Jerry Lum
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                          Hope you get your Dominique!

                          check out my soon-to-be-uploaded file entitled "Midterm Portfolio Reflections", you may find some valuable guidance that can be applied to this next iteration.

                          Aufwiedersehen,

                          Jerry

                          >>> "cdub.zoobz@..." 10/15/11 6:09 PM >>>

                          --

                          Christopher Harrell
                          cdub.harrell@...
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                            Very helpful indeed. Thanks Prof Lum. When are your office hours again? I am assuming 30 minutes before class.

                            CHris

                            --

                            Christopher Harrell
                            cdub.harrell@...

                            --

                            Christopher Harrell
                            cdub.harrell@...

                          • lum_jerry
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                              Per our Syllabus...Tuesday's & Thursday's 11 - 12 noon. Thanks for letting me know that things are working well.

                              J.