Hello everyone!

  • ngocmy166
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      I didnot do well in my first 5 collages; I found myself lost when
      sitting in front of a bunch of magazine and a blank 8.5-11 sheet of
      paper. However, when I tried to work with the tracing paper, I actually
      found a lot of options and inspiration. Even though my sixth collage
      was not really acceptable yet, but I've seen the way to go from now.
      And I realize that in order to improve, I have to look at my works as
      if they were done by another person.
    • Jerry Lum
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        Yes ngocmy, as designers, we need to not only engage in meaningful conversations with what we make (collages, drawings, constructions, etc.), but also place ourselves in our audience's shoes in order to anticipate how they will respond to our work and if these responses correlate with our expectations. If not, why?

        We are learning to go beyond mindless decoration to develop a process of thinking and making that imbues our work with meaning and significance. This in turn, eventually develops into an expressive message that is felt by our audience. We may even provoke our audience into seeing something otherwise taken for granted as something that alters their perception (and thinking) and even inspires them!

        It's a process...a life-long process of development in which we all strive to improve, expand, and deepen our thinking, abilities, talents, sensitivities, and performance. Please don't get to anxious about what may happen in the future. Enjoy this process now and see what its worth is to you. I'm glad you find more value in your drawing and that this is helping you to gain insights and possibilities!

        Jerry

        >>> ngocmy166@... 02/03/06 10:34 AM >>>
      • andrew
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006

          Hey Jerry this is andrew from your 3-6 arch 21 class. I just wanted to let you know that I am not going to be able to attend class tonight due to some family emergencies. I have finished my collage with a bunch of tracings and will have another one ready for class on Thursday. If there is anything I should try to shoot for in my next collage please let me know thank you very much.

          -Andrew Peterson

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
            Andrew, best wishes to resolve whatever family emergencies you are experiencing. Thanks for cueing me in on what's happening with you. You will be missed this afternoon. For Thursday, bring in the next iteration along with preceding ones, BUT this time we are scaling up to 11-inch x 17-inch, portrait format. This double-the-size means that you will be confronted with scale issues that demand much more than simply enlarging what you already have in 8.5-inch x 11-inch format. Now there are even more opportunities and possibilities for how your design will evolve into something visually compelling.

            Jerry

            >>> petersonandrew@... 02/07/06 1:37 PM >>>