"Temple" Inspirations from Bustler.com

  • Jerry Lum
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2010
      Some of you may be finding it a challenge to define and explore a wider notion of our "temple." Because of this, familiar and obvious images and elements of a tectonic language have been incorporated into your first iterative studies. You know, unquestioned use of symmetry, linear main and cross axis in cruciform circulation, cathedral-like entry expression, etc. Not that this is a bad way to start, but I am challenging you to question these choices and perhaps experiment with new combinations or forms that convey not only the notion of "temple", but also evoke rich, diverse, and layered sets of spatial experiences related to the identification of sacred, timeless, and wondrous places.

      To this end, here are some examples of competition entries for the new V&A (Victoria and Albert) at Dundee, Scotland. Although it is not a temple per se, are not museums and similar cultural institutions temples of a sort? They represent what each society holds dear and that which transcends the everyday. Although this site is along the River Tay, just look at each entry for its response to site conditions. Water need not be present in your created project site.

      Look at the various solutions to the approach and entry. Do they relieve us from the everyday, the natural ground, and prepare us for the transformative experiences of place to come?

      Look at the use of walls and floors in the various geometries and forms of enclosure employed. When is symmetry and asymmetry used effectively? Can an overwhelming use of asymmetry be use to evoke both the formal (to promote a sense of reverence?) and the sacred?

      Look at the design of walls and its language of parts, connections, and openings. What are the readable patterns established and how are they integrated into the architect's entire tectonic language?

      Here's the website (copy this into your browser if it doesn't lead you directly):

      http://www.bustler.net/index.php/article/va_at_dundee_unveils_shortlisted_designs/

      Have a great time exploring the possibilities and discovering new expressions of our "temple" project in the completion of iterations 2 & 3. Bring all iterations to class for our first of the week review. Share your comments to this email with me and others via your yahoo group postings.

      Jerry