beginnings of my narative, still developing

  • zoeyespinoza
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 4:40 PM
      I just got out of class and decided to head over to the CCSF common area where clubs and kids hang out to socialized and enjoy their breaks between classes. The area is only a short distance from the rest of the institution but is far enough away and connected with nature that there is a presence of serenity and good vibes, perfect for when I need a low-stress getaway.
      Down the road from campus, there are a few large steps that lead to a long row of steps. There is also a small side ramp and railway next to these steps. This is the first hall, the Hall of Anticipated Arrival; along the sides of the stairs are several trees and concrete columns creating rhythm in order to encourage further investigation and interest in the site. Also, the stairs create repetition as recognizable patterns of entrance. This first hall feels welcoming and there is a sense that something has been waiting for you, like you belong there. The hall strings you along, leading you to the distant monumental and geometric raised building in the center of the site.
      However, before the large building, there is a smaller, more horizontal area that spans diagonally oriented to the first walkway, the (not yet finished)
      This building is an area to hang out if you don't want to walk all the way up the stairs, or if you just want to relax for a while. Students also use this area to post information and upcoming events. As I walk further up the steps, I come to a circular area that is the quad where most students occupy. It is circular with a few rings as levels and steps going down to the base where people can sit and do work or socialize. The top of the circular concave is level with the ground, which flatly extends to a beautiful park area. The shape is circular and calm, and emphasizes the volume of the space and area above. Along the edge are stairs that lead up 3 flights of stairs. These are simply and evenly spaces and guide you from the base to floor 1 to the roof terrace. The center is open to allow some light to pass though to the base. Once in the top area, the Hall of Amplified Observation, there are small areas for more intimate spaces, but mostly the view of CCSF and the field is exaggerated from this point. (to be continued)
    • Jerry Lum
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 8:48 PM
        Zoey, strong start to your envisioning of how your design will accommodate various groups of people and their activities. Also appreciated are your related ambient descriptions. As you develop your narrative further, think and make places that resonate with these qualities. Looking forward to seeing how your cycle of words, drawing, and modeling are informing the evolution of your hillside solution. Thanks for sharing this with all.

        See you soon,
        Jerry