HomeMade ARCH 21 Definitions

  • jarrodhicks
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      I have come up with a few definitions for words or phrases that have come up during our class discussions. I haven't check any dictionaries yet, but I thought these would be a good start. Please feel free to improve and correct them.

      Design: A iterative approach to solving a problem by trial, error, and revision.

      Design Radar: A person's ability to perceive, and identify, design opportunities when they appear.

      Language: The general qualities of a designed object that communicate the intentions of the work from the designer to the observer.

      Craft: The process of creating a object, based on a design.

      Contrast: differences in materials, colors, tones, shapes, textures, forms, proportions, and overall themes, in an object.

      Innovation: A new, generally better, solution to old problem.

      Pattern: The organization of similar themes based on repetition.

      Emphasis: The part of a larger whole that is made more apparent and/or prominent in relation to the remainder

      Exploratory Design: a design process, or exercise, that studies the problems that need to be addressed by the designer while moving outside of the designer's normal level of comfort.