Re: Family Search Family Tree

  • Stewart Millar
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2012
      Ken - when in nFS do not confuse the "Family Tree" view with the completely
      different "Family Search Family Tree".

      ===Stewart

    • Ken Doyle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2012
        Hi Stewart,

        I am not confused. If you send me an email address via this forum email system (outside these messages) I will send you an image that shows two of my five monitors. On one is Family Tree and on the other is new Family Search. I can have both open at the same time.

        I cannot attach to this group an image or I would to show you.

        Having played with Family Tree, added information etc. I still prefer to interface with Ancestral Quest. I know currently this is with nFS but it will change.

        I prefer to enter the data once and then sync to nFS and soon FT. So I am not in a hurry to continue with Family Tree.

        What I hope is we can selectively add sources and possibly edit them before they are sync. I don't mean edit on my hard drive. I mean edit a temporary version we are about to upload.

        Sometimes I may have notes in my sources I won't want to make public. Maybe thoughts of quality and other research ideas to get a more exact date.

        Also I record all sources. I may have several sources for the same event. Then gradually I will choose what I think is right or "rightest".

        For example a Census is an approximate calculated date. A Birth Certificate is an exact date. I may find the census before I order the birth certificate. So I may only want to upload to Family Tree the Birth Certificate and forget the census data, family letters etc.

        Stewart I definitely can see both Family Tree and new Family Search.

        Cheers,

        Ken

        --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Stewart Millar <stew999@...> wrote:

        > Ken - when in nFS do not confuse the "Family Tree" view with the completely
        > different "Family Search Family Tree".
        >
        > ===Stewart

      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2012
          Ken,

          When I sign in at FS, it adds a Family Tree link to the top menu of the
          home page.

          I followed this process:
          Sign up to use the Family Tree:
          Go to https://www.familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab.
          Enter the user name and password of your LDS Account.
          Click Sign In. You will be taken to familysearch.org, where you will be
          signed in and see a Family Tree link next to the FamilySearch logo.
          To see your tree, click the Family Tree link. This link is located in the
          upper-left corner of the screen, next to the FamilySearch logo.
          In the future, to use the Family Tree, simply go to
          http://www.familysearch.org/, and sign in. If you don't see the Family Tree
          option, make sure that you have signed in.

          [from Document ID: 113041]

          FSFT doesn't presently allow us to upload images or other documents. But it
          does allow us to add the URL of an image stored on some other website, e.g.
          Flickr or Picasa. Clicking the link in FSFT opens the URL. A few weeks ago
          one of the engineers gave us some training on FSFT and said that they plan
          to eventually add the ability to upload and store images directly in FSFT.
          He was questioned about the vast amount of storage this would require. His
          answer was that they are presently uploading millions of page images from
          other collections every week, and he didn't think adding a few million more
          as a FSFT Source collection would be any problem. I suspect he is right.

          This morning, I just added the URL of a 93-page book (not just an image) in
          PDF format as a source for Andrew Buchanan K631-ND2 in FSFT. When you
          view Andrew's sources, it is the one called "Bill's Buchanans and Watsons -
          2007" Check it out. I think PDF works amazingly well!

          Bill Buchanan

        • Ken Doyle
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 2012
            Dear Bill,

            Thank you for that demonstration of a PDF in action.

            I have tried emailing you some images of Family Tree to the email address given on page 3 of the PDF.

            Citation
            This record was created by me and exists on my computer and my website.
            Notes
            The adventures of my ancestors' families. I think you will find it interesting reading stories about our ancestors. (93 pages in Adobe PDF format)

            Modified
            13 June 2012byBill Buchanan

            But will try by your other email address that is in FT.

          • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
              See interactive responses, below:

              On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:35:56 -0000, you wrote:

              >Nevertheless I can get in by:
              >https://www.familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab

              Likewise, via the above link.

              >and just signing in.
              >
              >Or I can get there by going to the PDF that instructs you how to register and clicking on the link.

              > If I am already in nFS it automatically opens up in Family Tree. No log on needed.
              Different software and database. It does not reflect the changes made
              through the familysearch.org tab. The data flow between the beta site
              and the "live site" is one-way, toward the beta site.

              >I have been a beta tester in the past. Was recently emailed and asked to participate again. But I did not realise they were using live data. Otherwise I may have volunteered. So busy I need to make all my time count. So I don't always have time to do things that I will subsequently throw away - dead data.

              Likewise, I was a beta tester while on my mission in the Family and
              Church History Mission in Salt Lake, but not to worry, the changes
              made in the beta version do not go back to the "live" data under NFS.

              >I hope AQ had the information to Sync with Family Trees soon. I don't like doing things twice.

              I suspect Gaylon is working with his own site to get all the software
              into place to be ready when FamilySearch Family Tree goes "live". It
              is my understanding that NFS will simply go away at that point as the
              transition to the new data model will be complete.

              >Wonder how we are going to add sources through AQ?

              I couldn't get FamilySearch Family Tree to open up the sources for me
              to add any, even under the test scenario. I suspect this feature has
              yet to be implemented, but at least some of the features are there,
              like an entry point for declaring why I believe the data that I've
              either entered or edited to be correct. This new feature will go a
              long way to establish the "correct" data with proper documentation.

              That is a feature that would be nice to see in AQ, perhaps via the
              event notes.

              "Family History without documentation is mythology." -- I don't know
              who said it, but they are absolutely right on.

              Tom
            • Ken Doyle
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22, 2012
                Dear Tom,

                Thank you for your insights.

                After looking at the beta site for awhile I still prefer interfacing through AQ.

                I am quite happy to wait for it all to happen.

                I am sure Gaylon and his team will do an excellent job when the time to swap happens.

                Cheers,

                Ken