Re: Two questions

  • mkitchen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2012
      nFS will "soon" be replaced by FamilySearch Family Tree. It will have a wiki-like model in that (1) anyone can make changes; (2) persons who make changes can record why and provide a source record for those changes; (3) a record is kept of changes made and who made those changes; (4) a roll-back to a previous value can be made.

      What you are seeing is the system establishing a base-line for the roll-out of Family Tree for the summary values. If you think it is wrong, you should set a value for the summary. Then your value will be the basis for what will show in Family Tree.

      Actually all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints can get access to Family Tree now. Send a request to support@... and you will be given a link to get permanent access. After that, Family Tree will then appear as a tab in the header if you have signed in.

      Merlin Kitchen

      The New "Skinny" Fruit
      How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4f9ff3363349ec4430ast05vuc
    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2012
        Yes, we get a lot of questions about that. Some of them are rather
        dramatic. "It says that the information was changed today by
        dorisandersonwolf765745654, and I know she has been dead for 5 years! How
        could that be possible?"

        The problem is that what is being displayed is not what is really
        happening. As the engineers are preparing for the production version of the
        FamilySearch Family Tree (FS FT), each record requires a list of all
        changes, and each "change log" needs a starting date. So the system is
        going through all of the fields in all of the records and selecting a
        contributor (who may be dead now, but contributed this record to one of the
        legacy databases that became the original version of nFS) and selecting the
        date the computer made that selection (which may be today).

        So, just ignore these puzzling references to changes. Make sure that the
        Summary data is as accurate and complete as possible, because that is the
        only data that will be brought into the production version of FS FT.
        (Sources will come in too, but not necessarily in the present nFS format.)
        Note that FS FT is built around a different model than nFS. There will be
        no combined records. (e.g. Instead of 1000 records for Charlemagne there
        will be 1 record for him. If another record is found for him, the two
        records will be MERGED like in AQ or PAF, and one record will be deleted.
        In the end Charlemagne will have 1 record, like everyone else.)

        --

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2012
          Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to get the proofs on my pedigree line families, so hopefully things will not be too mixed up when things get moved. Still have a few bugs to work out. :-)

          I have been registered with the FT site for some months, but have yet to see a link to it from my nFS page that I recognize. Maybe I am just not seeing it.

          Cleadie B

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2012
            The link to FamilyTree will be on the FamilySe4arch site not the nFS site.
            it should be up with everything else at the top.

            Miles Meyer

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2012
              Thanks for the reply. I had a hunch that this might have been caused by them messing around in preparation for the move. Not too sure what will happen if I change things to reflect what I can prove is correct. Hopefully I will not have to go back over things once everything is just FT.

              I will be glad when they remove all the files donated outside the Temple data. This has been one of my biggest problems. A long time ago i traded data with another researcher, warning my file was only a starting point and needed a lot more research, which I eventually did. However when nFS got on the way my old file had been submitted (errors and all) by this researcher. ;-(

              Cleadie B

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2012
                Thanks - I will see if I can locate it. I thought it would be on the nFS page.

                Cleadie B

                The link to FamilyTree will be on the FamilySe4arch site not the nFS site.
                it should be up with everything else at the top.

                Miles Meyer

                On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to get the proofs on my pedigree
                > line families, so hopefully things will not be too mixed up when things get
                > moved. Still have a few bugs to work out. :-)
                >
                > I have been registered with the FT site for some months, but have yet to
                > see a link to it from my nFS page that I recognize. Maybe I am just not
                > seeing it.
                >
                > Cleadie B

              • Bill Buchanan
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2012
                  If you have been given access to FSFT, when you are signed in
                  FamilySearch.org you will see a new item called "Family Tree" in the top
                  menu, between the FamilySearch logo and "Learn".

                  If it does not appear and your DO have access to nFS use this URL to be
                  granted access https://www.familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab.

                  In the future, to use the Family Tree, simply go to
                  http://www.familysearch.org/, and sign in. If you don't see the Family Tree
                  option, make sure that you have signed in.

                  (from Knowledge Document ID: 113041)

                  Remember that this is not yet the production version of FSFT, so most
                  features are still missing. But the data is real, so it is not a true "beta
                  test". Don't add fake data or make whimsical changes just to see if you can
                  do them.