Two questions

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 6:34 AM
      While working with nFS this last few days I came upon a contributor's name, followed by several numbers that had changed data, with the currant date. (The same day I was visiting the entry.) Sometimes the corrections were right, other times they were wrong.

      Any idea what this is about?

      Anyone have any idea of how to remove children from a family?

    • mkitchen@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 7:28 AM
        nFS will "soon" be replaced by FamilySearch Family Tree. It will have a wiki-like model in that (1) anyone can make changes; (2) persons who make changes can record why and provide a source record for those changes; (3) a record is kept of changes made and who made those changes; (4) a roll-back to a previous value can be made.

        What you are seeing is the system establishing a base-line for the roll-out of Family Tree for the summary values. If you think it is wrong, you should set a value for the summary. Then your value will be the basis for what will show in Family Tree.

        Actually all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints can get access to Family Tree now. Send a request to support@... and you will be given a link to get permanent access. After that, Family Tree will then appear as a tab in the header if you have signed in.

        Merlin Kitchen

        The New "Skinny" Fruit
        How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4f9ff3363349ec4430ast05vuc
      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 8:47 AM
          Yes, we get a lot of questions about that. Some of them are rather
          dramatic. "It says that the information was changed today by
          dorisandersonwolf765745654, and I know she has been dead for 5 years! How
          could that be possible?"

          The problem is that what is being displayed is not what is really
          happening. As the engineers are preparing for the production version of the
          FamilySearch Family Tree (FS FT), each record requires a list of all
          changes, and each "change log" needs a starting date. So the system is
          going through all of the fields in all of the records and selecting a
          contributor (who may be dead now, but contributed this record to one of the
          legacy databases that became the original version of nFS) and selecting the
          date the computer made that selection (which may be today).

          So, just ignore these puzzling references to changes. Make sure that the
          Summary data is as accurate and complete as possible, because that is the
          only data that will be brought into the production version of FS FT.
          (Sources will come in too, but not necessarily in the present nFS format.)
          Note that FS FT is built around a different model than nFS. There will be
          no combined records. (e.g. Instead of 1000 records for Charlemagne there
          will be 1 record for him. If another record is found for him, the two
          records will be MERGED like in AQ or PAF, and one record will be deleted.
          In the end Charlemagne will have 1 record, like everyone else.)

          --

          Bill Buchanan
          blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1 12:09 PM
            Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to get the proofs on my pedigree line families, so hopefully things will not be too mixed up when things get moved. Still have a few bugs to work out. :-)

            I have been registered with the FT site for some months, but have yet to see a link to it from my nFS page that I recognize. Maybe I am just not seeing it.

            Cleadie B

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1 12:11 PM
              The link to FamilyTree will be on the FamilySe4arch site not the nFS site.
              it should be up with everything else at the top.

              Miles Meyer

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1 12:18 PM
                Thanks for the reply. I had a hunch that this might have been caused by them messing around in preparation for the move. Not too sure what will happen if I change things to reflect what I can prove is correct. Hopefully I will not have to go back over things once everything is just FT.

                I will be glad when they remove all the files donated outside the Temple data. This has been one of my biggest problems. A long time ago i traded data with another researcher, warning my file was only a starting point and needed a lot more research, which I eventually did. However when nFS got on the way my old file had been submitted (errors and all) by this researcher. ;-(

                Cleadie B

                Message 7 of 8 , May 1 12:20 PM
                  Thanks - I will see if I can locate it. I thought it would be on the nFS page.

                  Cleadie B

                  The link to FamilyTree will be on the FamilySe4arch site not the nFS site.
                  it should be up with everything else at the top.

                  Miles Meyer

                  On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to get the proofs on my pedigree
                  > line families, so hopefully things will not be too mixed up when things get
                  > moved. Still have a few bugs to work out. :-)
                  >
                  > I have been registered with the FT site for some months, but have yet to
                  > see a link to it from my nFS page that I recognize. Maybe I am just not
                  > seeing it.
                  >
                  > Cleadie B

                • Bill Buchanan
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1 2:39 PM
                    If you have been given access to FSFT, when you are signed in
                    FamilySearch.org you will see a new item called "Family Tree" in the top
                    menu, between the FamilySearch logo and "Learn".

                    If it does not appear and your DO have access to nFS use this URL to be
                    granted access https://www.familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab.

                    In the future, to use the Family Tree, simply go to
                    http://www.familysearch.org/, and sign in. If you don't see the Family Tree
                    option, make sure that you have signed in.

                    (from Knowledge Document ID: 113041)

                    Remember that this is not yet the production version of FSFT, so most
                    features are still missing. But the data is real, so it is not a true "beta
                    test". Don't add fake data or make whimsical changes just to see if you can
                    do them.