Re: [AQ_NFS] newFamilySearch to Family Tree

  • Stewart Millar
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
      Richard,

      In case you have . . . do not confuse the "Family Tree" view in nFS with
      the replacement product for nFS called "FamilySearch Family Tree" (FS FT).

      FS FT is currently in beta test and beta testers (with an LDS account) can
      be enrolled at

      *https://familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab

      *once enrolled, access to FS FT becomes a menu option on
      familysearch.orgafter log-in with your lds account (
      familysearch.org will be used as a gateway to all familysearch services).

      There is an accompanying pdf user guide by following the Help option in
      familysearch.org.

      * FS FT uses the live data in nFS. FS FT and cannot yet add in new
      individuals or delete individuals, relationships or marriages - but can do
      most everything else.

      * FS FT gets rid of all the duplicates - using the "Summary" data from nFS
      - all AF and PRF data has been returned to a new database of contributed
      family trees searchable in familysearch.org.

      * The ownership criteria for deleting or changing data has been removed -
      replaced by a modification history and roll-back feature for any changes
      made.

      * Sources can now be specified with acceptable citations - albeit that the
      old "PAF" methodology of combing a "source" with a "citation" has been
      rolled together into a single source/citation description/id. Digital
      source documents can now be attached (FS have indicated they are likely to
      provide a hosting service for these - I have found the public folder option
      in Dropbox to be an excellent and satisfactory way of doing this) -
      provision is also there for describing your justification for using the
      source and conclusions to be drawn - sources are applied to the individual
      (at the moment) FS have indicated this may move to the event level; having
      used it and as long as the use of the source is explained in the
      justification, I can live with this and see it as a "tidying" feature.

      * At the recent RootsTech conference in February Ron Tanner made an
      entertaining and informative presentation about FS FT and the faults in nFS
      - and stated that FS FT would replace nFS by the end of this year . . . and
      be opened for the general public. Interestingly, while video recordings of
      all the other presentations at Rootstech have been made available on the
      internet, this one has not . . . my personal conspiracy theory is one of
      censorship for being so frank and outspoken.

      Clearly FS FT is going to present AQ (and others) with new interface
      challenges . . . the work the AQ team are going to have to put into this is
      going to be quite significant.

      ===Stewart

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
        Stewart:

        Thank you for mentioning the recorded sessions of RootsTech. For others, this is the launch page to see those sessions:

        http://rootstech.org/#video-player

        As you stated in your 4th bullet item, I have understood that a FamilySearch representative essentially said that for any given person in the nFS database, the summary values would be preserved in Family Tree, but that other values would be discarded. For example, if nFS shows three opin ions for a person's birth as being:

        12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City (Summary)
        12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
        15 May 1850 in Boston, Massachusetts

        then only the first of the above entries will survive, because it is the Summary value. If the person happened to be born in Massachusetts, and the other two entries were erroneous, then we will lose valuable information when nFS goes away. I wonder if someone who attended RootsTech, or watched the videos, can tell me which of the lectures covered such a discussion?

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2012

          Having watched most of the video broadcasts from RootsTech - whilst all
          were interesting and absorbing, presenting a futuristic view of technical
          help for the genealogist, I believe that the only presentation that covered
          the nFS replacement was the appropriately titled session "Future of
          FamilySearch Family Tree" by Ron Tanner which uniquely amongst the videoed
          sessions is still reported on the RootsTech site as . . . "will be posted
          at a later date" . . . very strange . . . . I am glad I was able to watch
          it before it was taken off the site.

          With regard to your point referring to possible lost valuable information
          by adopting the nFS Summary data - the points made in the presentation (as
          far as my memory recall!) were that (a) the incorporation of AF and PRF in
          nFS was a mistake; (b) the AF and PRF data would now be taken out of nFS
          and included with a new user contribution category of "contributed family
          trees" - which will continue to be searchable via familysearch.org as part
          of the research process - so that data (better data or bad data) would not
          be lost. What I cannot recall being covered was the data from duplicated
          temple submissions that may have been made; (c) any data added or changed
          on FS FT should be supported using the new features for attaching source
          documentation and statements of justification and conclusions - try to
          swamp any other contributor who may be tempted to add non-sourced or
          non-justified data; (d) whilst not in their plans at the moment for FS FT,
          Ron stated he was looking at an improved notification system other than the
          "Watch" feature (that is currently in FS FT), namely that if any other
          contributor changes any data I have submitted, I would be notified
          automatically; (e) a surprising announcement that FS FT would replace nFS
          before the end of this year . . . and be open to the general public.

          I can imagine some big changes need to the AQ interface for FS FT - I
          certainly hope that you are being appropriately kept informed by
          FamilySearch.

          ===Stewart

          On 27 April 2012 17:03, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Stewart:
          >
          > Thank you for mentioning the recorded sessions of RootsTech. For others,
          > this is the launch page to see those sessions:
          >
          > http://rootstech.org/#video-player
          >
          > As you stated in your 4th bullet item, I have understood that a
          > FamilySearch representative essentially said that for any given person in
          > the nFS database, the summary values would be preserved in Family Tree, but
          > that other values would be discarded. For example, if nFS shows three opin
          > ions for a person's birth as being:
          >
          > 12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City (Summary)
          > 12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
          > 15 May 1850 in Boston, Massachusetts
          >
          > then only the first of the above entries will survive, because it is the
          > Summary value. If the person happened to be born in Massachusetts, and the
          > other two entries were erroneous, then we will lose valuable information
          > when nFS goes away. I wonder if someone who attended RootsTech, or watched
          > the videos, can tell me which of the lectures covered such a discussion?
          >
          > Thanks,

        • Ken Doyle
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
            Hi Stewart,

            http://www.rootstech.org/videos#video-player

            The video is available now. I am currently watching it.

            Cheers,

            Ken