Re: [AQ_NFS] newFamilySearch to Family Tree

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
      Tom:

      As FamilySearch provides the tools to affiliates for working with the the Family Tree, we expect Ancestral Quest to implement adjustments in a timely manner.

      We are nearing completion of AQ version 14. This new version will have a few new general features, but it will also have some new features dealing with FamilySearch. One of these is designed specifically to help with preparing your ancestors for migration from nFS to the Family Tree. As we get closer, I'll provide more details :-)

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
        Hi Galyon.
        Can you shed some light on Tom's comment that
        FamilySearch is migrating from nFS to Family
        Tree? It appears to me that Family Tree is just
        another view within nFS, and that by itself does
        not include provision for the genealogical and
        ordinance details about individuals, nor does it
        provide for family group views.

        Richard

        At 03:19 PM 4/26/2012, you wrote:

        >Tom:
        >
        >As FamilySearch provides the tools to affiliates
        >for working with the the Family Tree, we expect
        >Ancestral Quest to implement adjustments in a timely manner.
        >
        >We are nearing completion of AQ version 14. This
        >new version will have a few new general
        >features, but it will also have some new
        >features dealing with FamilySearch. One of these
        >is designed specifically to help with preparing
        >your ancestors for migration from nFS to the
        >Family Tree. As we get closer, I'll provide more details :-)
        >
        >Gaylon

      • Stewart Millar
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
          Richard,

          In case you have . . . do not confuse the "Family Tree" view in nFS with
          the replacement product for nFS called "FamilySearch Family Tree" (FS FT).

          FS FT is currently in beta test and beta testers (with an LDS account) can
          be enrolled at

          *https://familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab

          *once enrolled, access to FS FT becomes a menu option on
          familysearch.orgafter log-in with your lds account (
          familysearch.org will be used as a gateway to all familysearch services).

          There is an accompanying pdf user guide by following the Help option in
          familysearch.org.

          * FS FT uses the live data in nFS. FS FT and cannot yet add in new
          individuals or delete individuals, relationships or marriages - but can do
          most everything else.

          * FS FT gets rid of all the duplicates - using the "Summary" data from nFS
          - all AF and PRF data has been returned to a new database of contributed
          family trees searchable in familysearch.org.

          * The ownership criteria for deleting or changing data has been removed -
          replaced by a modification history and roll-back feature for any changes
          made.

          * Sources can now be specified with acceptable citations - albeit that the
          old "PAF" methodology of combing a "source" with a "citation" has been
          rolled together into a single source/citation description/id. Digital
          source documents can now be attached (FS have indicated they are likely to
          provide a hosting service for these - I have found the public folder option
          in Dropbox to be an excellent and satisfactory way of doing this) -
          provision is also there for describing your justification for using the
          source and conclusions to be drawn - sources are applied to the individual
          (at the moment) FS have indicated this may move to the event level; having
          used it and as long as the use of the source is explained in the
          justification, I can live with this and see it as a "tidying" feature.

          * At the recent RootsTech conference in February Ron Tanner made an
          entertaining and informative presentation about FS FT and the faults in nFS
          - and stated that FS FT would replace nFS by the end of this year . . . and
          be opened for the general public. Interestingly, while video recordings of
          all the other presentations at Rootstech have been made available on the
          internet, this one has not . . . my personal conspiracy theory is one of
          censorship for being so frank and outspoken.

          Clearly FS FT is going to present AQ (and others) with new interface
          challenges . . . the work the AQ team are going to have to put into this is
          going to be quite significant.

          ===Stewart

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
            Stewart:

            Thank you for mentioning the recorded sessions of RootsTech. For others, this is the launch page to see those sessions:

            http://rootstech.org/#video-player

            As you stated in your 4th bullet item, I have understood that a FamilySearch representative essentially said that for any given person in the nFS database, the summary values would be preserved in Family Tree, but that other values would be discarded. For example, if nFS shows three opin ions for a person's birth as being:

            12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City (Summary)
            12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
            15 May 1850 in Boston, Massachusetts

            then only the first of the above entries will survive, because it is the Summary value. If the person happened to be born in Massachusetts, and the other two entries were erroneous, then we will lose valuable information when nFS goes away. I wonder if someone who attended RootsTech, or watched the videos, can tell me which of the lectures covered such a discussion?

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2012

              Having watched most of the video broadcasts from RootsTech - whilst all
              were interesting and absorbing, presenting a futuristic view of technical
              help for the genealogist, I believe that the only presentation that covered
              the nFS replacement was the appropriately titled session "Future of
              FamilySearch Family Tree" by Ron Tanner which uniquely amongst the videoed
              sessions is still reported on the RootsTech site as . . . "will be posted
              at a later date" . . . very strange . . . . I am glad I was able to watch
              it before it was taken off the site.

              With regard to your point referring to possible lost valuable information
              by adopting the nFS Summary data - the points made in the presentation (as
              far as my memory recall!) were that (a) the incorporation of AF and PRF in
              nFS was a mistake; (b) the AF and PRF data would now be taken out of nFS
              and included with a new user contribution category of "contributed family
              trees" - which will continue to be searchable via familysearch.org as part
              of the research process - so that data (better data or bad data) would not
              be lost. What I cannot recall being covered was the data from duplicated
              temple submissions that may have been made; (c) any data added or changed
              on FS FT should be supported using the new features for attaching source
              documentation and statements of justification and conclusions - try to
              swamp any other contributor who may be tempted to add non-sourced or
              non-justified data; (d) whilst not in their plans at the moment for FS FT,
              Ron stated he was looking at an improved notification system other than the
              "Watch" feature (that is currently in FS FT), namely that if any other
              contributor changes any data I have submitted, I would be notified
              automatically; (e) a surprising announcement that FS FT would replace nFS
              before the end of this year . . . and be open to the general public.

              I can imagine some big changes need to the AQ interface for FS FT - I
              certainly hope that you are being appropriately kept informed by
              FamilySearch.

              ===Stewart

              On 27 April 2012 17:03, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Stewart:
              >
              > Thank you for mentioning the recorded sessions of RootsTech. For others,
              > this is the launch page to see those sessions:
              >
              > http://rootstech.org/#video-player
              >
              > As you stated in your 4th bullet item, I have understood that a
              > FamilySearch representative essentially said that for any given person in
              > the nFS database, the summary values would be preserved in Family Tree, but
              > that other values would be discarded. For example, if nFS shows three opin
              > ions for a person's birth as being:
              >
              > 12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City (Summary)
              > 12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
              > 15 May 1850 in Boston, Massachusetts
              >
              > then only the first of the above entries will survive, because it is the
              > Summary value. If the person happened to be born in Massachusetts, and the
              > other two entries were erroneous, then we will lose valuable information
              > when nFS goes away. I wonder if someone who attended RootsTech, or watched
              > the videos, can tell me which of the lectures covered such a discussion?
              >
              > Thanks,

            • Ken Doyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
                Hi Stewart,

                http://www.rootstech.org/videos#video-player

                The video is available now. I am currently watching it.

                Cheers,

                Ken