newFamilySearch to Family Tree

  • tgwilliam47@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26 2:55 PM
      The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints is migrating from newFamilySearch to FamilyTree and at some point in time newFamilySearch will be replaced by FamilyTree. Is AQ in the process of making changes to accommodate this migration and if so will the group be able to help in the Beta Testing and what might be that time frame?
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26 3:19 PM
        Tom:

        As FamilySearch provides the tools to affiliates for working with the the Family Tree, we expect Ancestral Quest to implement adjustments in a timely manner.

        We are nearing completion of AQ version 14. This new version will have a few new general features, but it will also have some new features dealing with FamilySearch. One of these is designed specifically to help with preparing your ancestors for migration from nFS to the Family Tree. As we get closer, I'll provide more details :-)

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27 12:01 AM
          Hi Galyon.
          Can you shed some light on Tom's comment that
          FamilySearch is migrating from nFS to Family
          Tree? It appears to me that Family Tree is just
          another view within nFS, and that by itself does
          not include provision for the genealogical and
          ordinance details about individuals, nor does it
          provide for family group views.

          Richard

          At 03:19 PM 4/26/2012, you wrote:

          >Tom:
          >
          >As FamilySearch provides the tools to affiliates
          >for working with the the Family Tree, we expect
          >Ancestral Quest to implement adjustments in a timely manner.
          >
          >We are nearing completion of AQ version 14. This
          >new version will have a few new general
          >features, but it will also have some new
          >features dealing with FamilySearch. One of these
          >is designed specifically to help with preparing
          >your ancestors for migration from nFS to the
          >Family Tree. As we get closer, I'll provide more details :-)
          >
          >Gaylon

        • Stewart Millar
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27 2:28 AM
            Richard,

            In case you have . . . do not confuse the "Family Tree" view in nFS with
            the replacement product for nFS called "FamilySearch Family Tree" (FS FT).

            FS FT is currently in beta test and beta testers (with an LDS account) can
            be enrolled at

            *https://familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab

            *once enrolled, access to FS FT becomes a menu option on
            familysearch.orgafter log-in with your lds account (
            familysearch.org will be used as a gateway to all familysearch services).

            There is an accompanying pdf user guide by following the Help option in
            familysearch.org.

            * FS FT uses the live data in nFS. FS FT and cannot yet add in new
            individuals or delete individuals, relationships or marriages - but can do
            most everything else.

            * FS FT gets rid of all the duplicates - using the "Summary" data from nFS
            - all AF and PRF data has been returned to a new database of contributed
            family trees searchable in familysearch.org.

            * The ownership criteria for deleting or changing data has been removed -
            replaced by a modification history and roll-back feature for any changes
            made.

            * Sources can now be specified with acceptable citations - albeit that the
            old "PAF" methodology of combing a "source" with a "citation" has been
            rolled together into a single source/citation description/id. Digital
            source documents can now be attached (FS have indicated they are likely to
            provide a hosting service for these - I have found the public folder option
            in Dropbox to be an excellent and satisfactory way of doing this) -
            provision is also there for describing your justification for using the
            source and conclusions to be drawn - sources are applied to the individual
            (at the moment) FS have indicated this may move to the event level; having
            used it and as long as the use of the source is explained in the
            justification, I can live with this and see it as a "tidying" feature.

            * At the recent RootsTech conference in February Ron Tanner made an
            entertaining and informative presentation about FS FT and the faults in nFS
            - and stated that FS FT would replace nFS by the end of this year . . . and
            be opened for the general public. Interestingly, while video recordings of
            all the other presentations at Rootstech have been made available on the
            internet, this one has not . . . my personal conspiracy theory is one of
            censorship for being so frank and outspoken.

            Clearly FS FT is going to present AQ (and others) with new interface
            challenges . . . the work the AQ team are going to have to put into this is
            going to be quite significant.

            ===Stewart

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 27 9:03 AM
              Stewart:

              Thank you for mentioning the recorded sessions of RootsTech. For others, this is the launch page to see those sessions:

              http://rootstech.org/#video-player

              As you stated in your 4th bullet item, I have understood that a FamilySearch representative essentially said that for any given person in the nFS database, the summary values would be preserved in Family Tree, but that other values would be discarded. For example, if nFS shows three opin ions for a person's birth as being:

              12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City (Summary)
              12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
              15 May 1850 in Boston, Massachusetts

              then only the first of the above entries will survive, because it is the Summary value. If the person happened to be born in Massachusetts, and the other two entries were erroneous, then we will lose valuable information when nFS goes away. I wonder if someone who attended RootsTech, or watched the videos, can tell me which of the lectures covered such a discussion?

              Thanks,

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28 6:26 PM

                Having watched most of the video broadcasts from RootsTech - whilst all
                were interesting and absorbing, presenting a futuristic view of technical
                help for the genealogist, I believe that the only presentation that covered
                the nFS replacement was the appropriately titled session "Future of
                FamilySearch Family Tree" by Ron Tanner which uniquely amongst the videoed
                sessions is still reported on the RootsTech site as . . . "will be posted
                at a later date" . . . very strange . . . . I am glad I was able to watch
                it before it was taken off the site.

                With regard to your point referring to possible lost valuable information
                by adopting the nFS Summary data - the points made in the presentation (as
                far as my memory recall!) were that (a) the incorporation of AF and PRF in
                nFS was a mistake; (b) the AF and PRF data would now be taken out of nFS
                and included with a new user contribution category of "contributed family
                trees" - which will continue to be searchable via familysearch.org as part
                of the research process - so that data (better data or bad data) would not
                be lost. What I cannot recall being covered was the data from duplicated
                temple submissions that may have been made; (c) any data added or changed
                on FS FT should be supported using the new features for attaching source
                documentation and statements of justification and conclusions - try to
                swamp any other contributor who may be tempted to add non-sourced or
                non-justified data; (d) whilst not in their plans at the moment for FS FT,
                Ron stated he was looking at an improved notification system other than the
                "Watch" feature (that is currently in FS FT), namely that if any other
                contributor changes any data I have submitted, I would be notified
                automatically; (e) a surprising announcement that FS FT would replace nFS
                before the end of this year . . . and be open to the general public.

                I can imagine some big changes need to the AQ interface for FS FT - I
                certainly hope that you are being appropriately kept informed by
                FamilySearch.

                ===Stewart

                On 27 April 2012 17:03, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Stewart:
                >
                > Thank you for mentioning the recorded sessions of RootsTech. For others,
                > this is the launch page to see those sessions:
                >
                > http://rootstech.org/#video-player
                >
                > As you stated in your 4th bullet item, I have understood that a
                > FamilySearch representative essentially said that for any given person in
                > the nFS database, the summary values would be preserved in Family Tree, but
                > that other values would be discarded. For example, if nFS shows three opin
                > ions for a person's birth as being:
                >
                > 12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City (Summary)
                > 12 June 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
                > 15 May 1850 in Boston, Massachusetts
                >
                > then only the first of the above entries will survive, because it is the
                > Summary value. If the person happened to be born in Massachusetts, and the
                > other two entries were erroneous, then we will lose valuable information
                > when nFS goes away. I wonder if someone who attended RootsTech, or watched
                > the videos, can tell me which of the lectures covered such a discussion?
                >
                > Thanks,

              • Ken Doyle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
                  Hi Stewart,

                  http://www.rootstech.org/videos#video-player

                  The video is available now. I am currently watching it.

                  Cheers,

                  Ken