Re: [AQ_NFS] Edit / Delete Ancestors

  • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2011
      FamilyInsight (Ohana Software) has the capability of editing AQ files,
      BUT (and this is a biggie) if you are running a modified (in any way)
      AQ that has different (that is, non-standard) fields and/or "Other
      Events", FamilyInsight will corrupt your AQ datafile when it rewrites
      the file (It does this with PAF, as well, so it is a native problem to
      FamilyInsight, in that it cannot or doesnot maintain a modified data
      arrangement).

      If you are running with the standard AQ (not modified in any manner),
      then FamilyInsight can offer some very nice features to enhance your
      AQ:
      1 - better place editing -- FamilyInsight utilitizes the "Standard
      Place" feature of NewFamilySearch to determine correct place names (in
      some cases, this doesn't work, since the "Standard Place" is sometimes
      missing or incorrect, but FamilyInsight does allow you to modify and
      create your own "standard place")
      2 - Determining floating names that exist outside your primary
      pedigree. This is a great way to "clean up" files.
      3 - Renumbering the Pedigree -- the ability to change RINs is
      especially nice if you are trying to order the RINs for the names on
      your pedigree to match their place in the pedigree.

      Beyond that, Family Insight has an ugly interface to New Family
      Search, but then, that's me.

      If FamilyInsight would not corrupt a modified data file, then it would
      be a great addition to your AQ software, especially for handling place
      names.

      Tom