RE: [AQ_NFS] Edit / Delete Ancestors

  • Jerry Barrett
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
      I think there used to be a PAF utility that could change the RIN.

      On the AQ file - an ugly way is to delete the person who is currently #1 (copy
      the info so you can add them later) - then you add a new record with your
      name. If the switch is set to reuse deleted records, the new you should be #1.
      You can then merge the new you #1 and the old you # 50,0000 into the new you
      #1.
      Jerry

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
        FamilyInsight will change RINs in AQ.

        John

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2011
          FamilyInsight (Ohana Software) has the capability of editing AQ files,
          BUT (and this is a biggie) if you are running a modified (in any way)
          AQ that has different (that is, non-standard) fields and/or "Other
          Events", FamilyInsight will corrupt your AQ datafile when it rewrites
          the file (It does this with PAF, as well, so it is a native problem to
          FamilyInsight, in that it cannot or doesnot maintain a modified data
          arrangement).

          If you are running with the standard AQ (not modified in any manner),
          then FamilyInsight can offer some very nice features to enhance your
          AQ:
          1 - better place editing -- FamilyInsight utilitizes the "Standard
          Place" feature of NewFamilySearch to determine correct place names (in
          some cases, this doesn't work, since the "Standard Place" is sometimes
          missing or incorrect, but FamilyInsight does allow you to modify and
          create your own "standard place")
          2 - Determining floating names that exist outside your primary
          pedigree. This is a great way to "clean up" files.
          3 - Renumbering the Pedigree -- the ability to change RINs is
          especially nice if you are trying to order the RINs for the names on
          your pedigree to match their place in the pedigree.

          Beyond that, Family Insight has an ugly interface to New Family
          Search, but then, that's me.

          If FamilyInsight would not corrupt a modified data file, then it would
          be a great addition to your AQ software, especially for handling place
          names.

          Tom