Re: [AQ_NFS] Edit / Delete Ancestors

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
      You can do a mass Delete. It cannot be undone, so I would only try this on
      a Copy and not on the original file, and I would make a backup before
      trying. Maybe I am paranoid about losing my data, but that is NOT a bad
      thing.

      A better option might be to Export only the people you want to keep, then
      create a new file with a new name and import the gedcom. Your new file will
      have only the people you selected.

      If you really want to do a mass Delete instead, start as if you were going
      to export people, and use the advanced settings to Select All, then
      Deselect those you want to keep. Then click the Delete button at the bottom
      of the window, and follow through. The people who are still selected will
      be permanently deleted from your file. If you miscalculated, you still have
      the Backup that you can Restore to get back to your starting point.

      Use this at your own risk.

      Bill Buchanan

      --

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
        Could you create your own ID#s? Not the same as RIN, I know, but I doubt you
        can reset the RIN.

        /Gunilla

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
          I think there used to be a PAF utility that could change the RIN.

          On the AQ file - an ugly way is to delete the person who is currently #1 (copy
          the info so you can add them later) - then you add a new record with your
          name. If the switch is set to reuse deleted records, the new you should be #1.
          You can then merge the new you #1 and the old you # 50,0000 into the new you
          #1.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
            FamilyInsight will change RINs in AQ.

            John

          • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2011
              FamilyInsight (Ohana Software) has the capability of editing AQ files,
              BUT (and this is a biggie) if you are running a modified (in any way)
              AQ that has different (that is, non-standard) fields and/or "Other
              Events", FamilyInsight will corrupt your AQ datafile when it rewrites
              the file (It does this with PAF, as well, so it is a native problem to
              FamilyInsight, in that it cannot or doesnot maintain a modified data
              arrangement).

              If you are running with the standard AQ (not modified in any manner),
              then FamilyInsight can offer some very nice features to enhance your
              AQ:
              1 - better place editing -- FamilyInsight utilitizes the "Standard
              Place" feature of NewFamilySearch to determine correct place names (in
              some cases, this doesn't work, since the "Standard Place" is sometimes
              missing or incorrect, but FamilyInsight does allow you to modify and
              create your own "standard place")
              2 - Determining floating names that exist outside your primary
              pedigree. This is a great way to "clean up" files.
              3 - Renumbering the Pedigree -- the ability to change RINs is
              especially nice if you are trying to order the RINs for the names on
              your pedigree to match their place in the pedigree.

              Beyond that, Family Insight has an ugly interface to New Family
              Search, but then, that's me.

              If FamilyInsight would not corrupt a modified data file, then it would
              be a great addition to your AQ software, especially for handling place
              names.

              Tom