RE: [AQ_NFS] Edit / Delete Ancestors

  • Margaret Thompson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
      The only way I know to do what you are after is to create a new AQ file and enter yourself as the first individual and then enter your parents. Then import a gedcom and combine yourself with the duplicate you got from the import and then combine the parents. Just make sure that you have the number 1 or 2 or 3 as the primary.

      Margaret

      > To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      > From: m_s_cooper@...
      > Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:21:02 +0000
      > Subject: [AQ_NFS] Edit / Delete Ancestors
      >
      > Is there a method where I can:
      > (1) Reset the RINs so that (for example) I am #1?
      >
      > I know that I can re-set "Preferences" so that the program will open by default to 'me' but I would like my RIN to be "1", my father "2", mother "3" etc.
      >
      > I crashed once and downloaded a GEDCOM from on-line so my RIN is showing as number 50,000 some odd.
      >
      > Not a biggie if not possible.
      >
      > AND
      >
      > During the download I imported boo-koo unrelateds.
      >
      > Is there a method to search Individual (yes) select Root Person (yes)
      > select "Advanced" settings and set the thing to find all related ancestors (yes)
      > AND THEN . . . delete all those that are *not* related ancestors so I won't need to delete each individually?
      >
      > Danx all,
      >
      > Mike Cooper
      > Seattle

    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
        You can do a mass Delete. It cannot be undone, so I would only try this on
        a Copy and not on the original file, and I would make a backup before
        trying. Maybe I am paranoid about losing my data, but that is NOT a bad
        thing.

        A better option might be to Export only the people you want to keep, then
        create a new file with a new name and import the gedcom. Your new file will
        have only the people you selected.

        If you really want to do a mass Delete instead, start as if you were going
        to export people, and use the advanced settings to Select All, then
        Deselect those you want to keep. Then click the Delete button at the bottom
        of the window, and follow through. The people who are still selected will
        be permanently deleted from your file. If you miscalculated, you still have
        the Backup that you can Restore to get back to your starting point.

        Use this at your own risk.

        Bill Buchanan

        --

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
          Could you create your own ID#s? Not the same as RIN, I know, but I doubt you
          can reset the RIN.

          /Gunilla

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
            I think there used to be a PAF utility that could change the RIN.

            On the AQ file - an ugly way is to delete the person who is currently #1 (copy
            the info so you can add them later) - then you add a new record with your
            name. If the switch is set to reuse deleted records, the new you should be #1.
            You can then merge the new you #1 and the old you # 50,0000 into the new you
            #1.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
              FamilyInsight will change RINs in AQ.

              John

            • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2011
                FamilyInsight (Ohana Software) has the capability of editing AQ files,
                BUT (and this is a biggie) if you are running a modified (in any way)
                AQ that has different (that is, non-standard) fields and/or "Other
                Events", FamilyInsight will corrupt your AQ datafile when it rewrites
                the file (It does this with PAF, as well, so it is a native problem to
                FamilyInsight, in that it cannot or doesnot maintain a modified data
                arrangement).

                If you are running with the standard AQ (not modified in any manner),
                then FamilyInsight can offer some very nice features to enhance your
                AQ:
                1 - better place editing -- FamilyInsight utilitizes the "Standard
                Place" feature of NewFamilySearch to determine correct place names (in
                some cases, this doesn't work, since the "Standard Place" is sometimes
                missing or incorrect, but FamilyInsight does allow you to modify and
                create your own "standard place")
                2 - Determining floating names that exist outside your primary
                pedigree. This is a great way to "clean up" files.
                3 - Renumbering the Pedigree -- the ability to change RINs is
                especially nice if you are trying to order the RINs for the names on
                your pedigree to match their place in the pedigree.

                Beyond that, Family Insight has an ugly interface to New Family
                Search, but then, that's me.

                If FamilyInsight would not corrupt a modified data file, then it would
                be a great addition to your AQ software, especially for handling place
                names.

                Tom