Edit / Delete Ancestors

  • m_s_cooper
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
      Is there a method where I can:
      (1) Reset the RINs so that (for example) I am #1?

      I know that I can re-set "Preferences" so that the program will open by default to 'me' but I would like my RIN to be "1", my father "2", mother "3" etc.

      I crashed once and downloaded a GEDCOM from on-line so my RIN is showing as number 50,000 some odd.

      Not a biggie if not possible.

      AND

      During the download I imported boo-koo unrelateds.

      Is there a method to search Individual (yes) select Root Person (yes)
      select "Advanced" settings and set the thing to find all related ancestors (yes)
      AND THEN . . . delete all those that are *not* related ancestors so I won't need to delete each individually?

      Danx all,

      Mike Cooper
      Seattle
    • Margaret Thompson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
        The only way I know to do what you are after is to create a new AQ file and enter yourself as the first individual and then enter your parents. Then import a gedcom and combine yourself with the duplicate you got from the import and then combine the parents. Just make sure that you have the number 1 or 2 or 3 as the primary.

        Margaret

        > To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
        > From: m_s_cooper@...
        > Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:21:02 +0000
        > Subject: [AQ_NFS] Edit / Delete Ancestors
        >
        > Is there a method where I can:
        > (1) Reset the RINs so that (for example) I am #1?
        >
        > I know that I can re-set "Preferences" so that the program will open by default to 'me' but I would like my RIN to be "1", my father "2", mother "3" etc.
        >
        > I crashed once and downloaded a GEDCOM from on-line so my RIN is showing as number 50,000 some odd.
        >
        > Not a biggie if not possible.
        >
        > AND
        >
        > During the download I imported boo-koo unrelateds.
        >
        > Is there a method to search Individual (yes) select Root Person (yes)
        > select "Advanced" settings and set the thing to find all related ancestors (yes)
        > AND THEN . . . delete all those that are *not* related ancestors so I won't need to delete each individually?
        >
        > Danx all,
        >
        > Mike Cooper
        > Seattle

      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
          You can do a mass Delete. It cannot be undone, so I would only try this on
          a Copy and not on the original file, and I would make a backup before
          trying. Maybe I am paranoid about losing my data, but that is NOT a bad
          thing.

          A better option might be to Export only the people you want to keep, then
          create a new file with a new name and import the gedcom. Your new file will
          have only the people you selected.

          If you really want to do a mass Delete instead, start as if you were going
          to export people, and use the advanced settings to Select All, then
          Deselect those you want to keep. Then click the Delete button at the bottom
          of the window, and follow through. The people who are still selected will
          be permanently deleted from your file. If you miscalculated, you still have
          the Backup that you can Restore to get back to your starting point.

          Use this at your own risk.

          Bill Buchanan

          --

          Bill Buchanan
          blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
            Could you create your own ID#s? Not the same as RIN, I know, but I doubt you
            can reset the RIN.

            /Gunilla

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
              I think there used to be a PAF utility that could change the RIN.

              On the AQ file - an ugly way is to delete the person who is currently #1 (copy
              the info so you can add them later) - then you add a new record with your
              name. If the switch is set to reuse deleted records, the new you should be #1.
              You can then merge the new you #1 and the old you # 50,0000 into the new you
              #1.
              Jerry

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011
                FamilyInsight will change RINs in AQ.

                John

              • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 16, 2011
                  FamilyInsight (Ohana Software) has the capability of editing AQ files,
                  BUT (and this is a biggie) if you are running a modified (in any way)
                  AQ that has different (that is, non-standard) fields and/or "Other
                  Events", FamilyInsight will corrupt your AQ datafile when it rewrites
                  the file (It does this with PAF, as well, so it is a native problem to
                  FamilyInsight, in that it cannot or doesnot maintain a modified data
                  arrangement).

                  If you are running with the standard AQ (not modified in any manner),
                  then FamilyInsight can offer some very nice features to enhance your
                  AQ:
                  1 - better place editing -- FamilyInsight utilitizes the "Standard
                  Place" feature of NewFamilySearch to determine correct place names (in
                  some cases, this doesn't work, since the "Standard Place" is sometimes
                  missing or incorrect, but FamilyInsight does allow you to modify and
                  create your own "standard place")
                  2 - Determining floating names that exist outside your primary
                  pedigree. This is a great way to "clean up" files.
                  3 - Renumbering the Pedigree -- the ability to change RINs is
                  especially nice if you are trying to order the RINs for the names on
                  your pedigree to match their place in the pedigree.

                  Beyond that, Family Insight has an ugly interface to New Family
                  Search, but then, that's me.

                  If FamilyInsight would not corrupt a modified data file, then it would
                  be a great addition to your AQ software, especially for handling place
                  names.

                  Tom