Re: [AQ_NFS] Re: Place names (again) still need help !!!

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
      Cleadie,

      I think I know what you are talking about. I ran into the problem of false
      "standard" place names in nFS when nFS changed the standard place names in
      western Canada by adding the 1911 census divisions as part of the place
      names as sort of a "pseudo county". It was a mess, and FamilyInsight wanted
      to replace the correct place names with the fake "standard" place names, so
      I stopped using FamilyInsight and switched to AQ. In the last two years nFS
      corrected the standard place names for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta,
      so I believe FamilyInsight will not have a problem in those provinces now.
      I am not sure about British Columbia.

      AQ does have the ability to edit place names. Click Help menu > Contents >
      Replace Places ... for further information. I can't get it to work in AQ
      with my PAF database, but since I also use PAF it is no problem. In PAF I
      make a backup then click Tools > Global Search and Replace > Places. I
      always ask for a list of changes so that I can verify that I didn't
      inadvertently change things I had not intended. If so, restoring the backup
      only takes a minute or two.
      Good luck in your quest.

      Bill Buchanan

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
        Thanks for the reply.

        My problem stems from the fact that I am actually using the Replace function, and have tried both full place name and the single name sections, and neither will work to take off all of the same error (7000+) With multi tries I have been able to whittle it down by about 100.  I keep getting a notice that it is no longer in the Quick list, but when I check, it is still there.

        Unfortunately it is a provincial name, so it effects about 80-90 % of my place names. (sigh)

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
          I don't know if this will help or not, but go into your Edit... Edit
          Quick Entry Place List and delete all of the entries you can find that
          contain the New Brunswick province name, including the correct ones.
          Search for those that appear within any kind of brackets, as well.

          Now use the Replace Names(etc.) function and replace the names with
          the erroneous spelling -- be sure to search for those that appear
          within any kind of brackets...

          I found that a mangled Quick Entry Place List was a major problem for
          me and until I cleared it out and started all over (I use the Quick
          Entry (advanced), I kept coming up with problems similar to yours.

          Tom