Re: Place names (again)

  • Allan Hale
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2011
      I use Family Insight and their Edit Places routine. It bases the place data on new.familysearch.org standard place information. You can drag and drop or select from a menu of places. I have been using Insight since it first came out several years ago and consider it one of the best tools in my genealogy software tool kit. IF you are multi-generation lds and experience the wonder of too many people combined in one file on nfs the Ancestor Split tool for Family Insight is a must have. Works much better than the nfs tool

      Allan Hale
      WWS support

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
        Thanks for the reply, unfortunately this will not help with my current problem - how to get AQ to replace typos in my place names.

        Some time ago I used FI to check place names between my file and nFS. Unfortunately what is on nFS for my geographical area are mostly wrong, or incomplete, so for now I am concentrating on getting my own files, with correct local, county, province, country status. Thus my urgent need of getting the ability to change typos into proper order. With over 7000 entries to fix I need to be able to use the automatic way.

        As for splitting my file into family units - they are so intermarried that there would be many duplicates in every branch. I have five or six ancestors that intermarried heavily, and several moderately. So I'd be in a worse mess than I am now. :-)

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
          Cleadie,

          I think I know what you are talking about. I ran into the problem of false
          "standard" place names in nFS when nFS changed the standard place names in
          western Canada by adding the 1911 census divisions as part of the place
          names as sort of a "pseudo county". It was a mess, and FamilyInsight wanted
          to replace the correct place names with the fake "standard" place names, so
          I stopped using FamilyInsight and switched to AQ. In the last two years nFS
          corrected the standard place names for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta,
          so I believe FamilyInsight will not have a problem in those provinces now.
          I am not sure about British Columbia.

          AQ does have the ability to edit place names. Click Help menu > Contents >
          Replace Places ... for further information. I can't get it to work in AQ
          with my PAF database, but since I also use PAF it is no problem. In PAF I
          make a backup then click Tools > Global Search and Replace > Places. I
          always ask for a list of changes so that I can verify that I didn't
          inadvertently change things I had not intended. If so, restoring the backup
          only takes a minute or two.
          Good luck in your quest.

          Bill Buchanan

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
            Thanks for the reply.

            My problem stems from the fact that I am actually using the Replace function, and have tried both full place name and the single name sections, and neither will work to take off all of the same error (7000+) With multi tries I have been able to whittle it down by about 100.  I keep getting a notice that it is no longer in the Quick list, but when I check, it is still there.

            Unfortunately it is a provincial name, so it effects about 80-90 % of my place names. (sigh)

          • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
              I don't know if this will help or not, but go into your Edit... Edit
              Quick Entry Place List and delete all of the entries you can find that
              contain the New Brunswick province name, including the correct ones.
              Search for those that appear within any kind of brackets, as well.

              Now use the Replace Names(etc.) function and replace the names with
              the erroneous spelling -- be sure to search for those that appear
              within any kind of brackets...

              I found that a mangled Quick Entry Place List was a major problem for
              me and until I cleared it out and started all over (I use the Quick
              Entry (advanced), I kept coming up with problems similar to yours.

              Tom