RE: [AQ_NFS] Identifying nFS as data source

  • JimLight
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2011
      Gaylon,

      Sorry to take so long to get back to you - it's been a busy week.

      First, let me thank you for taking my request seriously, particularly after
      some of the responses to it. I appreciate your thoughtful consideration of
      my request.

      Second, I understand the position taken by some of the responders, that they
      don't consider nFS a source. However, they have not convinced me to cease
      using other genealogies as sources until I can find better sources to prove
      or disprove the data collected, and my only hesitation is my original one,
      namely, that when I obtain this data using AQ tools, there is no
      accompanying documentation to help me later know where I acquired the data.
      Notwithstanding the criticism of PAF Insight and the way it did such
      documentation, I found it to be very helpful.

      Third, I can see you have done a great deal of thinking about this function,
      and you provide some difficult choices to think about in how I would like to
      see the function work.

      I do not agree with your paragraph that includes "In this case, you would
      mark the item . " From my view, if you are capturing data from another data
      base, it does not matter if it is merely a better spelling; the fact that I
      found the data interesting enough to capture it makes it worthy of having
      the source of this data identified. I do NOT want to attach a source to
      some items, and not to others.

      So here is my feedback (responses synched with your question numbers).

      1) Prefer no checkbox - just capture the data and source where it came
      from.

      2) N/A for the most part due to my answer to the previous question. I
      like the idea that I can format the source, but I prefer to keep it simple
      and to use the same source for all such captures. PAF Insight had a nice
      feature that permitted the IGI comparison function to be applied to other
      databases. It made it easy to capture selected pieces of data from db's
      provided by some of my cousins. It would be nice to have a unique source
      for any db from which I was capturing data, if AQ ever had such a feature,
      but if nFS will be the only such db, then only one such source is required.

      3) I prefer to have the source added to each item captured.

      4) I have not used the Family Lines feature, but I suspect I would
      want to keep it simple and have a source attached to each piece of data
      captured.

      I'd be happy to have the source identification of data captured feature
      selectable, i.e., selectable once, not every time I use AQ. Putting it in
      Preferences would be satisfactory. By making it selectable, those who think
      this is a bad idea do not need to use it. I just wish they wouldn't lecture
      me on how I should do my genealogy.

      Thanks again for your consideration, and for making such a great product for
      us to use.

      Jim

      _____