Re: [AQ_NFS] Place names

  • Jerry Barrett
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
      You can use the Replace Names option to change them. Below is the help text.
      There was a discission recently on the Quick ENtry list - maybe you can search
      the archives on that discussion - there were a couple of options that seemed
      to work for folks.

      Jerry

      Replace Names

      You can replace or remove names from your database.

      To access the tool that accomplishes this, go to the Edit menu, and select the
      Replace Names option.

      Type of Name: Choose the type of name you want to replace. Ancestral Quest
      stores names according to type. Names used as names of individuals are in one
      group. Names of Places are in another. Names of Temples are in another (if LDS
      Options are enabled in Preferences). And so on for Data names and Other
      names.

      There is an important distinction between “Single Place Names” and “Full
      Place Names”. For example, if you type in “Tempe, Maricopa, Arizona” as a
      place for an individual’s event, AQ actually stores this as three separate
      names: “Tempe”, “Maricopa” and “Arizona”. If you use the “Single Place
      Names” option, you can replace a misspelling of, say, “Tempee” with
      “Tempe”, and all occurrences of “Tempee” in the database will be found and
      changed if you give it the go ahead. You will NOT be able to replace “Tempe,
      Snowflake, Arizona” with “Tempe, Maricopa, Arizona” using the Single Place
      Names option. You must use the “Full Place Names” option to replace a name
      that combines several single place names into a combined, or full, place
      name.

      Replace With: You can select from the list of existing names for this type, or
      enter a new name. Ancestral Quest will replace the name in the Find What field
      with the contents of this field.

      Delete the replaced name from my database: If you check this box, once the
      replace operation is finished, if ALL instances of the Find What name were
      replaced with the Replace With name, then the Find What name will be
      completely removed from the database. It will no longer show on any quick
      entry list unless you re-enter it later.

      Replace: When you click on the Replace button, AQ will begin to scan the
      database for all instances of the Find What name. When the first one is found,
      a confirmation box will show you some information about the instance, and let
      you decide whether or not to replace this instance of the name. You will be
      allowed to 1) replace this instance and continue looking for the next instance
      (Yes), 2) tell the program to replace all instances without further
      intervention from you (Yes to All), 3) leave this instance unchanged and
      continue looking for the next instance (No), or 4) don’t change any more
      instances (Cancel).

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
        Thanks Miles and Jerry, for your replies to my problems. One item solved. Somewhere along the line I had imported a few of his entries to my own file, so I still have the extra step to find the one correct entry when adding new names.Guess I'm stuck with the names in the Quick entry, until I enter the next few new ones to pass the thirty mark.

        I had tried that search/replace item before I sent the request. All it did was change the person's file I was working on. I had hit the ALL button (or thought I did) but it didn't work. I tried it again this morning, so hoping I did it right this time.

        Cleadie

        ________________________________
        I have been trying to correct place names found in a gedcom when I opened it in AQ. I received it from a cousin who was not consistent in how he entered place names. He has several versions of a place name that are in hundreds of entries.

        Is there a way to correct multi incorrect names at once, as there is in PAF? (I can't find it if there is.)

        Is there a way to clear the drop down menu for entering place names? The correct version of the place name is about four levels down, and I have to scroll down each time, which slows it down when doing it manually.

      • m_s_cooper
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
          Yes there is:
          Easiest method is to enter the correct data to one ancestor's record and save.

          Go to "EDIT" tab.
          Select "Replace Names/Date/Places"
          You will see "Regular Names", "Single Place Names", etc at upper right.

          Do the following for Regular Names, and again for Single Place Names, etc. (I do the "Dates" too - habit.)

          At "Find What" type only the first word of what you are seeking to replace and click the arrow at the end of that box - it will pull up an inventory of all.

          Highlite the incorrect.

          Copy/Paste or type in the correct data.

          Click "Replace With."

          You may need to do it a couple of times.

          ALSO:

          Go to "Edit" tab.
          Click "Find / Replace In Notes"
          Click each box.
          Type in the incorrect and type in what to replace the incorrect with.
          Launch.

          "Go to bed - this one is going to take a long time to run.)