blank mrin

  • Scott Scheibe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2009
      I finally figured out one of the problem families were I
      couldn't download the parents it was telling me they were already
      linked to him. It finally dawned on me the MRIN it was showing they
      were in I could search for. Sure enough they were there with him as
      their son. But when I clicked on him they disapeared because there
      was a MRIN that didn't have any people in it which I didn't think was
      possible. When I clicked on the Add'L Par/Rel button it showed two
      marriages, the first one blank and the second one with his parents in
      it. I went to the blank MRIN and deleted it, then they showed up.

      BTW, If you click on the FS button for the people who are
      "An invalid argument was encountered" error it crashes the program.
      When you reopen the program it goes back to the first person it
      opened with, not the last one you were on and if you have been
      working on two databases but the current one was the last one you
      were working on it opens up the other database.
      I have found that most of the people in the Descendents of
      Henry Woodward database are not on NFS which they should be as I
      uploaded a GEDCOM of the database to FS a few years ago but only the
      people on my direct line or that have been submitted by other people
      are showing up on NFS.

      Scott Scheibe
      dsscheibe@...
      <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

      Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
      <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2009
        Thanks Scott for this information

        I knew that even if you delete all the people in a family the marriage remains and you have to actually delete the marriage. But your message reminded me to check my database for marriages with no people.

        I searched for marriages and then had the filter changed to husband and the top ones that come up are the "marriages" with blank husbands. There were wives on and this was to be expected because there were children born out of wedlock, but four had no wives at all. I pulled up those four and found no families and then deleted.

        It is good to clean up your files like that and I appreciate the reminder.

        If you uploaded your whole gedcom file, it is probably there but someone may have combined your information with others. Or if you submitted it to the Pedigree Resource File, it may not be there as not all the PRF has been sent over to nFS. It is not recommended that a complete file be uploaded to nFS. So even if your submission is missing, if that person is there just sync your information to it to add to or edit information already on the system

        Leslie

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2009
          At 05:43 AM 6/29/2009, Leslie Vaughn wrote:

          >I knew that even if you delete all the people in a family the
          >marriage remains and you have to actually delete the marriage. But
          >your message reminded me to check my database for marriages with no people.

          The problem was that NFS created two marriages when
          downloading the family. This may have been caused because AQ had
          crashed, I don't remember for sure. The farther back I've gone the
          more problems I've had. I think AQ may have a memory leak when
          dealing with NFS. It seems to run slower and then will crash.

          >If you uploaded your whole gedcom file, it is probably there but
          >someone may have combined your information with others. Or if you
          >submitted it to the Pedigree Resource File, it may not be there as
          >not all the PRF has been sent over to nFS. It is not recommended
          >that a complete file be uploaded to nFS. So even if your submission
          >is missing, if that person is there just sync your information to it
          >to add to or edit information already on the system

          I think I uploaded it to the Pedigree Resource File around
          2002 when I completed entering the book. I have been sysncing the
          people forward of our common ancestor up to the living people so they
          will be there for other people. In most cases I have more
          information than the few that I have been able to match. I've found
          if it can't come up with a match higher than 3 it is a waste of time
          to look though them. If NFS can't find a person at 4 or 5 confidence
          when there is a spouse and parents then they aren't there. It's been
          hit and miss, I might find a couple but only one of their children in
          NFS. Some times it has filled in dates and places which were mostly
          lacking in the book. I can do from the late 1700-1910 but after that
          most of them are probably still living and since NFS is primarily
          geared to temple work it isn't much help for those looking for more
          recent descendents.