RE: [AQ_NFS] Re: Identifying nFS as data source

  • JimLight
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 10, 2011
      Tom,

      Thanks for the unneeded lecture.

      Ordinance information MUST be taken from either nFS or from work that I do
      myself at the temple. Since one of the main reasons for creating nFS was to
      reduce duplicate ordinances, I will not attempt to do ordinance work for
      those who already have it done, as recorded in nFS. Instead, I will capture
      the ordinance data recorded in nFS, and consider that that ordinance work is
      completed, unless I discover that the genealogical data for the individual
      or the family involved is incorrect to the point that the ordinance work
      must be considered incorrect and still needed.

      When I capture this ordinance data from nFS (whether I do it manually or via
      AQ), I want to document where I got the data. That way, if I subsequently
      discover errors in the records, I will know where they came from and what
      steps I need to do to correct the errors. When I record the ordinance data
      manually, I indicate the source to be Family Search. Similarly, when I used
      to capture data from the IGI using PAF Insight, that software would record
      where and when I captured the data from the IGI.

      I'm simply asking how this can automatically be accomplished using AQ, and
      if the function is not currently available in AQ, I would like to request
      that it be added.

      Please don't tell me I should not capture data from whatever source I choose
      to use. I can find value even in OneWorldTree, which I know to be of very
      poor quality. It at least gives me a starting point for my own research.
      nFS is better than that, since it also provides me the ONLY method for
      submitting names to the temple for the ordinance work to be done.

      Sigh.

      Jim

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 10, 2011
        Jim

        Just consider Tom's response for all of us not just yourself. As this is a forum, various people can benefit from the answers to your questions. I can understand what you want and why but I also understand Tom's response to be a good lesson in sources and documentation. Something I learned at BYU in genealogy 101 over 45 years ago. But not every one in the current genealogy community understands how to rate sources and how to substantiate them. I am sure someone on this forum benefited from Tom's response. I know I did.

        Leslie

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011
          Jim, I'm not telling you not to take the information from nFS, but I am saying that it is not your source document for temple ordinance data. It is only the "portal" to the documents (the Temple Ordinance Records) held by the Church. That's why I used the Ancestry.com example to point out that Ancestry is _not_ the source (or even repository) for census data.

          There are numerous ways to obtain temple ordinance data and nFS is only one of them, though it is the most commonly used source, since it is readily available to members of the church. Other sources include the TIB, the Family Group Sheet collection that was used for years to record the data (and still is for sealing living people to deceased members of their immediate family--usually parents), and finally, the old DOS version of the Ordinance Index (sometimes still needed for records that have yet to be transferred into nFS).

          > When I capture this ordinance data from nFS (whether I do it manually or via AQ), I want to document where I got the data. That way, if I subsequently discover errors in the records, I will know where they came from and what steps I need to do to correct the errors. When I record the ordinance data manually, I indicate the source to be Family Search. Similarly, when I used to capture data from the IGI using PAF Insight, that software would record where and when I captured the data from the IGI.

          When you link your family members in AQ to nFS, you essentially identify nFS as the source by default. The nFS PID is captured by AQ and can be copied to the printable AQ ID through a function in AQ ("Generate ID numbers") under Tools.

          Family Search is _not_ your source for Temple Ordinance Data. It is only the portal to the information (and a copy at that), just as ancestry.com is not the source for U.S. Federal Census records.

          Best Regards,

          Tom Huber
        • Sally
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011
            Hello Tom,

            I have been following your discussion of sourcing in AQ. Your premise
            makes perfect sense to me but leaves me with a question. I'm an old-
            timer when it comes to genealogical research and, in the case of the
            U.S. Federal Census records, I have used National Archives and Records
            Administration as the source where I actually found the record at a NARA
            site (Seattle, St. Louis, etc.) and I use Ancestry.com with "Additional
            info: digital image by subscription", when that is where I located the
            record. Would you change that as well?

            Thanks for your input on this subject, but the more I think about this,
            the more inclined I am to leave it as I have it. Those reading my records
            in years to come can still follow my footsteps and locate the record,
            which is my goal.

            Sally Bailey
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011
              --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Sally <fbsb@...> wrote:

              > Hello Tom,
              >
              > I have been following your discussion of sourcing in AQ. Your premise makes perfect sense to me but leaves me with a question. I'm an old-timer when it comes to genealogical research and, in the case of the U.S. Federal Census records, I have used National Archives and Records Administration as the source where I actually found the record at a NARA site (Seattle, St. Louis, etc.) and I use Ancestry.com with "Additional info: digital image by subscription", when that is where I located the record. Would you change that as well?

              That's a good place to put the reference. In the publisher info, I put "on-line database", but don't credit which one I use, mostly because I tend to grab information from at least three different sources: FamilySearch.org (in the new version of the website), Heritage Quest, and Ancestry.

              I use publisher info to indicate whether the source is an on-line database, a printed book (with the repository being the library where it is located), or an on-line digitized book (with a repository for one of the libraries where the actual book can be found).

              > Thanks for your input on this subject, but the more I think about this, the more inclined I am to leave it as I have it. Those reading my records in years to come can still follow my footsteps and locate the record, which is my goal.

              Yes, I would not change it, either. You mentioned something that is very important to sourcing. The idea of a source citation is so that a future researcher can use the information you provide to find the original document you found, no matter where it might be located. Where there are multiple places it can be found (as is the case for census records), then you citation works very well.

              Best regards,

              Tom Huber
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                I've read not only Jim's original post on this topic, but also the
                this issue from a big picture standpoint.

                Automatically adding a source to information obtained from nFS has been
                an ongoing request of many users, and in fact was in the initial design
                of the AQ features dealing with nFS -- but it has not yet been realized.
                Part of the reason that we haven't implemented this yet is that we don't
                feel we have the best method for doing so, and we need more feedback.

                I can see that if you have found a new piece of information in nFS, that
                you might want it sourced as coming from nFS. However, you may have
                merely found a better spelling of a place, and you are using the sync
                capability for about the same purpose as a spell-checker. In this case,
                you would mark the item from nFS to be brought into your AQ database to
                improve your spelling. My guess is that you might not want this type of
                update to be shown as having nFS as the source.

                As a result, I don't believe it would be prudent to have a truly
                automatic capability to attach a source to items you take from nFS --
                you would want to attach such a source to some items, but not others.
                Which means that we'd have to add a checkbox on some screens, or have AQ
                ask questions via popups. This would cause additional time, energy and
                keystrokes each time you perform any synching operation. One concern
                that I have is adding complexity to the process of synching with nFS. As
                Tom Huber mentioned, the data you would get from nFS would be a lower
                level of quality in a source -- it's not an original source, rather it's
                more of a personal note to yourself as to where you looked for the
                information.

                So let me ask some specific questions:

                1) If you are on the Individual Sync screen, and click on the option box
                to move a data item from nFS to your record, would you like a checkbox
                on that screen to indicate that you want a source to be attached to the
                data? Or is there a better method?

                2) If you were to mark such a checkbox, would you always want the same
                source? Or would you have a short list of sources that you could choose
                from? Such as "LDS Temple Records" or "New.FamilySearch.org" or
                something else -- you would create the actual source, with title,
                author, etc the way you like, but you'd have a short list from which to
                select.

                3) If you are on the Family Sync screen, and import a new person to your
                file, do you want a source automatically added to the record of each
                person? Do you want a source added to each data item, such as Name,
                Birth, Death, Burial, Baptism, etc?

                4) If you use the Import Family Lines feature, do you want each imported
                person, and each piece of data to have a source attached? Would it
                always be the same source? Would you want AQ to ask you for each piece
                of data to select a source from a short list?

                So for any of you who are interested in attaching "nFS" as a source to
                information obtained from nFS: think through the questions above, and
                others that you might come up with as you sync your data with nFS. Put
                some thought into just how you would like AQ to handle some of the
                details. Let's have a bit of discussion, and see whether it makes sense
                to add such a feature, or whether it would be too cumbersome to be of
                value. (Remember that many users would not want to use this feature, so
                any solution should be unobtrusive -- you'd probably have to activate
                the feature in Preferences.)

                Gaylon

                On 9/9/2011 4:16 PM, JimLight wrote:
                > I have been using AQ for a couple of years now, but I only recently started
                > using the synchronization with nFS feature to find and update my db with LDS
                > Ordinance data. Previously, I used the synch feature, but did all the
                > updating of ordinance data manually.
                >

                > When I use AQ to update the ordinance data in my db, I would like AQ to also
                > update the source information for the entries updated so that later I know
                > that nFS was the source of the information. I'm sure that there is some
                > option I can click to make that happen, but I don't see it.
                >

                > Can someone tell me if this capability exists, and if so, how to invoke it?
                >

                > Thanks.
                >

                > Jim

              • Allan Hale
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                  NFS is an opinion file UNTIL it allows quality sourcing. For those with lds account access to nfs go to the help center and request " What is the future of new.familysearch.org" (KD 112666) to see what is being considered. PAF Insight made that mistake of tagging each entry with an IGI source and I am still routing them out of my file.

                  When the system allows quality sourcing then I would like to see it as a pass-through with the 'found on nfs' tag to qualify it.

                  So the answer to #1 is a qualified yes but not yet.
                  #2 See above. I want to know where the data really came from not what nfs says it is.(I still need to verify it though)
                  #3 See above
                  #4 See above.

                  Opinion files are great places to start and most of the time have great stuff BUT I would rather see a quality 2 or 3 source. NFS is quality 1 at best.

                  Allan Hale
                  WWS Missionary

                • Margaret Thompson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2011

                    Personally I do not want to use nFS as a source so I would want any
                    enhancement to have a checkbox to activate it or not as it suits the
                    individual.

                    Thank you for all you do.

                    Margaret

> [...]

                    the feature in Preferences.)

                    Gaylon

                    On 9/9/2011 4:16 PM, JimLight wrote:
                    > I have been using AQ for a couple of years now, but I only recently
                    > started
                    > using the synchronization with nFS feature to find and update my db with
                    > LDS
                    > Ordinance data. Previously, I used the synch feature, but did all the
                    > updating of ordinance data manually.
                    >

                    > When I use AQ to update the ordinance data in my db, I would like AQ to
                    > also
                    > update the source information for the entries updated so that later I know
                    > that nFS was the source of the information. I'm sure that there is some
                    > option I can click to make that happen, but I don't see it.
                    >

                    > Can someone tell me if this capability exists, and if so, how to invoke

                  • JimLight
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 6, 2011

                      Sorry to take so long to get back to you - it's been a busy week.

                      First, let me thank you for taking my request seriously, particularly after
                      some of the responses to it. I appreciate your thoughtful consideration of
                      my request.

                      Second, I understand the position taken by some of the responders, that they
                      don't consider nFS a source. However, they have not convinced me to cease
                      using other genealogies as sources until I can find better sources to prove
                      or disprove the data collected, and my only hesitation is my original one,
                      namely, that when I obtain this data using AQ tools, there is no
                      accompanying documentation to help me later know where I acquired the data.
                      Notwithstanding the criticism of PAF Insight and the way it did such
                      documentation, I found it to be very helpful.

                      Third, I can see you have done a great deal of thinking about this function,
                      and you provide some difficult choices to think about in how I would like to
                      see the function work.

                      I do not agree with your paragraph that includes "In this case, you would
                      mark the item . " From my view, if you are capturing data from another data
                      base, it does not matter if it is merely a better spelling; the fact that I
                      found the data interesting enough to capture it makes it worthy of having
                      the source of this data identified. I do NOT want to attach a source to
                      some items, and not to others.

                      So here is my feedback (responses synched with your question numbers).

                      1) Prefer no checkbox - just capture the data and source where it came
                      from.

                      2) N/A for the most part due to my answer to the previous question. I
                      like the idea that I can format the source, but I prefer to keep it simple
                      and to use the same source for all such captures. PAF Insight had a nice
                      feature that permitted the IGI comparison function to be applied to other
                      databases. It made it easy to capture selected pieces of data from db's
                      provided by some of my cousins. It would be nice to have a unique source
                      for any db from which I was capturing data, if AQ ever had such a feature,
                      but if nFS will be the only such db, then only one such source is required.

                      3) I prefer to have the source added to each item captured.

                      4) I have not used the Family Lines feature, but I suspect I would
                      want to keep it simple and have a source attached to each piece of data
                      captured.

                      I'd be happy to have the source identification of data captured feature
                      selectable, i.e., selectable once, not every time I use AQ. Putting it in
                      Preferences would be satisfactory. By making it selectable, those who think
                      this is a bad idea do not need to use it. I just wish they wouldn't lecture
                      me on how I should do my genealogy.

                      Thanks again for your consideration, and for making such a great product for
                      us to use.

                      Jim

                      _____