Re: [AQ_NFS] Check for Changes

    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 26, 2011
      Thanks Gaylon

      I am impressed that you answered my question so quickly.

      So if I understand what you are saying if there is no PID, the individual is not currently LINKED to nfs, even if he/she may have been in the past. That if I unlink someone I don't need to worry about the PID because in the act of unlinking, the PID disappears.

      But if I have linked in the past and then synced but then later unlinked, any information that went to nfs from my data base or came to my data base from nfs will still show on either NFS or on AQ (with the exception of the PID on AQ)

      So to find someone who is not LINKED as opposed to not SYNCED is to find someone without a PID using one of the several methods previously explained to me.

      Do I have it right?

      Am I wrong to think that the review feature for an individual or the check for changes for a group which makes a list for review, is a form of syncing when we check the boxes for information to come down or go up?

      Leslie

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 6 8:59 AM
        Niel:

        FamilySearch attaches a marker to each record. Anytime a change is made to that record, the marker is also changed, so that programs such as Family Tree, AQ and others can be alerted that a change has been made.

        When you initially link one of your records in your personal file to its corresponding record in Family Tree, AQ records this marker. When you run "Check for Changes," AQ compares the markers it has recorded with the current markers in Family Tree. If the markers are the same, then AQ knows that no changes were made to the Family Tree record since you last looked at the record. If the markers are different, then AQ knows that some change has been made to the Family Tree record, and it puts this record on a list for you to review. AQ doesn't know specifically what has changed -- only that FamilySearch reports that something has changed.

        Unfortunately, when FamilySearch moved records from nFS to FamilyTree, they created new markers for every record in their system. So the first time you run Check for Changes after switching from an older version of AQ (which looked at the old markers of nFS) to a newer version (which now looks at the markers of Family Tree), every record will be listed as having changed. Because of this, we added a "Mark All" button to the Check for Changes review screen, which allows you to quickly update the markers of every linked record in your AQ file with new markers from Family Tree. If you use this option, you may miss reviewing some legitimate changes to some of the records you are working with, but you will be set up so that in the future, Check for Changes will only show you records that have actually changed since you marked them.

        Hope this helps.