Check for Changes

    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 24, 2011
      All:

      I know that some of you have asked about AQ's "Check for Changes" feature under the FamilySearch menu.

      It often seems like more records show up as changed than you would expect.

      I decided to test this feature and I found something unexpected. AQ's feature seems to work as designed, but New FamilySearch marks records as being changed that have not been changed in any direct way.

      Here's an example:

      You link up a father, mother and child with nFS.

      Initially, when you run "Check for Changes", none of these three individuals are in the list of changed persons.

      Now you go into NFS and update the birth place of the child. Perhaps something like, "Tempe, Arizona" to "Tempe, Maricopa, Arizona".

      You would expect to now find this child on the list of individuals with changes. But you will find that the father and mother also appear on the list.

      Apparently, when data is changed on a person in a family, some others in the family are marked by nFS as having been changed. This would probably account for the fact that many of you have reported that the list of changed records seems unexpectedly large.

      Until FamilySearch makes an adjustment, the Check for Changes feature will probably not be as useful as you would hope.

      I thought that those of you who have expressed concern would appreciate this information.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 6, 2013
        Niel:

        FamilySearch attaches a marker to each record. Anytime a change is made to that record, the marker is also changed, so that programs such as Family Tree, AQ and others can be alerted that a change has been made.

        When you initially link one of your records in your personal file to its corresponding record in Family Tree, AQ records this marker. When you run "Check for Changes," AQ compares the markers it has recorded with the current markers in Family Tree. If the markers are the same, then AQ knows that no changes were made to the Family Tree record since you last looked at the record. If the markers are different, then AQ knows that some change has been made to the Family Tree record, and it puts this record on a list for you to review. AQ doesn't know specifically what has changed -- only that FamilySearch reports that something has changed.

        Unfortunately, when FamilySearch moved records from nFS to FamilyTree, they created new markers for every record in their system. So the first time you run Check for Changes after switching from an older version of AQ (which looked at the old markers of nFS) to a newer version (which now looks at the markers of Family Tree), every record will be listed as having changed. Because of this, we added a "Mark All" button to the Check for Changes review screen, which allows you to quickly update the markers of every linked record in your AQ file with new markers from Family Tree. If you use this option, you may miss reviewing some legitimate changes to some of the records you are working with, but you will be set up so that in the future, Check for Changes will only show you records that have actually changed since you marked them.

        Hope this helps.