RE: [AQ_NFS] Select the browser from AQ

  • Stewart Millar
    Message 1 of 8 , May 28, 2011
      Firefox has an add-on called IE-Tab . . . . IE-Tab allows you to switch to
      run any web site in IE from within Firefox . . . . with a further option to
      specify specific web sites to always use the IE-Tab when Firefox is your
      default browser.

      I use this . . . and have the FamilySearch web sites set up to use IE . . .
      but still be running under Firefox . . . works perfectly.

      Stewart

      Message 2 of 8 , May 28, 2011
        Thanks, Stewart.

        I'll have to give that a try! J

        Gunilla

        Message 3 of 8 , May 28, 2011
          Gunilla,

          I have to confess that my previous reply on this topic was not entirely
          accurate . . . But the main thrust of my reply was absolutely accurate.

          The "IE Tab Plus" add on for firefox does allow you to either manually
          switch the rendering engine from firefox to IE (and back again of course) or
          to pre set specific web sites to be rendered as IE . . . this is IE running
          under your firefox browser and retains all the firefox toolbars and
          features.

          In the past I have used this specifically to render familysearch sites in IE
          (and have also done so at my local FH Centre) . . . however, I personally no
          longer do this . . . for two reasons . . . (1) I now find that firefox
          (current version 4.0.1) displays all the familysearch sites perfectly (IMO -
          I can find no fault), and . . . (2) Since first setting up the switch to IE
          for familysearch, I now additionally use the Identity Safe feature of Norton
          for storing and auto filling user names and password . . . this Norton
          feature works perfectly with firefox (at the moment) but not when firefox is
          accessing a web site in the IE mode.

          So my message needs to be modified to say that the IE Tab is exactly what
          you need . . . unless you are running Norton Identity Safe . . . but then,
          if I as a firefox user cannot see any rendering or connection problems with
          any familysearch site - either using them directly or as called up via AQ .
          . . what sort of rendering or connection problems are you experiencing? I do
          find it hard to think of any technical reason that would make for a
          different user experience in connecting from AQ to nFS between IE and
          Firefox . . . particularly as both are stated as supported by FamilySearch.

          Regards,

          Stewart

          From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
          [mailto:AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 8 , May 28, 2011
            Stewart,

            I think I have it now so I can switch over to IE when I need to.

            Maybe it is my computer?? I am running the latest version of Firefox, and if
            I try to use nFS in Firefox, then after following few links, it will not
            display the detail screen for example. I don't remember now exactly what
            the error message is.

            So at least for now you showed me an option to switch to IE.

            Thanks,

            From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
            Of
            Gunilla Manell