Re: [AQ_NFS] Select the browser from AQ

    Message 1 of 8 , May 27 3:34 PM
      Gunilla:

      I guess you are referring to when you use an option to view a person
      from your local file in the new.familysearch.org website.

      AQ always sends a request to Windows to look up a URL, and Windows then
      looks at your settings to see what browser you have chosen. I'm afraid
      that your default browser is what will be used. :-(

      Gaylon

      Message 2 of 8 , May 27 3:42 PM
        Oh shoot, that is disappointing, but thanks for responding so quickly,
        Gaylon!

        /Gunilla

        I guess you are referring to when you use an option to view a person
        from your local file in the new.familysearch.org website.

        AQ always sends a request to Windows to look up a URL, and Windows then
        looks at your settings to see what browser you have chosen. I'm afraid
        that your default browser is what will be used. :-(

        Gaylon

        On 5/27/2011 4:22 PM, Gunilla Manell wrote:
        > I WISH..
        >
        > That I somehow could choose in AQ which browser I want to use when I
        connect
        > to nFS.
        >

        > Normally I use Firefox for browsing, but lately it has not been getting
        > along very well with nFS. Internet Explorer works much better when it
        comes
        > to connect from AQ to nFS. (I just don't like to have IE as my default
        > browser)
        >

        > If I could have Firefox as default, but set AQ to connect with IE, it
        would
        > be so great!!
        >
        > Is that something that would be possible to include in the future? Or is
        it
        > there now, but I don't know how to do it?
        >

        > /Gunilla

        > Gunilla Manell
        > 1488 NW 2 AVE
        > ONTARIO OR 97914
        > Phone# 541-889-9076
        > e-mail:<mailto:gmanell@... <mailto:gmanell%40manell.net> >
        gmanell@... <mailto:gmanell%40manell.net>
        > HOME PAGE URL:
        > <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/> http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/
        > FAMILY TREE HOME PAGE URL:
        > <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html>
        > http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html

      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27 4:15 PM
          I thought it was only me having problems with Firefox and AQ seeming to lock
          up. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. Perhaps your post will lead to a
          change in the future.

          Mary-Theresa Dameron

        • Stewart Millar
          Message 4 of 8 , May 28 1:34 AM
            Firefox has an add-on called IE-Tab . . . . IE-Tab allows you to switch to
            run any web site in IE from within Firefox . . . . with a further option to
            specify specific web sites to always use the IE-Tab when Firefox is your
            default browser.

            I use this . . . and have the FamilySearch web sites set up to use IE . . .
            but still be running under Firefox . . . works perfectly.

            Stewart

            Message 5 of 8 , May 28 6:27 AM
              Thanks, Stewart.

              I'll have to give that a try! J

              Gunilla

              Message 6 of 8 , May 28 3:31 PM
                Gunilla,

                I have to confess that my previous reply on this topic was not entirely
                accurate . . . But the main thrust of my reply was absolutely accurate.

                The "IE Tab Plus" add on for firefox does allow you to either manually
                switch the rendering engine from firefox to IE (and back again of course) or
                to pre set specific web sites to be rendered as IE . . . this is IE running
                under your firefox browser and retains all the firefox toolbars and
                features.

                In the past I have used this specifically to render familysearch sites in IE
                (and have also done so at my local FH Centre) . . . however, I personally no
                longer do this . . . for two reasons . . . (1) I now find that firefox
                (current version 4.0.1) displays all the familysearch sites perfectly (IMO -
                I can find no fault), and . . . (2) Since first setting up the switch to IE
                for familysearch, I now additionally use the Identity Safe feature of Norton
                for storing and auto filling user names and password . . . this Norton
                feature works perfectly with firefox (at the moment) but not when firefox is
                accessing a web site in the IE mode.

                So my message needs to be modified to say that the IE Tab is exactly what
                you need . . . unless you are running Norton Identity Safe . . . but then,
                if I as a firefox user cannot see any rendering or connection problems with
                any familysearch site - either using them directly or as called up via AQ .
                . . what sort of rendering or connection problems are you experiencing? I do
                find it hard to think of any technical reason that would make for a
                different user experience in connecting from AQ to nFS between IE and
                Firefox . . . particularly as both are stated as supported by FamilySearch.

                Regards,

                Stewart

                From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
                [mailto:AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 8 , May 28 6:56 PM
                  Stewart,

                  I think I have it now so I can switch over to IE when I need to.

                  Maybe it is my computer?? I am running the latest version of Firefox, and if
                  I try to use nFS in Firefox, then after following few links, it will not
                  display the detail screen for example. I don't remember now exactly what
                  the error message is.

                  So at least for now you showed me an option to switch to IE.

                  Thanks,

                  From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  Of
                  Gunilla Manell