New build 30 Released

    Message 1 of 16 , May 26, 2011
      We just release a new build 30 of AQ 12.1.

      After we released build 29 a couple of weeks ago, we heard of a couple
      of items that needed quick attention, so this build is mainly a
      maintenance build for build 29.

      The three major items are:

      1) We made additional improvements to the fonts of text on the Family View
      2) We fixed a bug for those who store scrapbook items on the Internet
      and use AQ to generate a genealogy web page
      3) We fixed a bug that was introduced in bug 29 for nFS users.

      For more details, see this link:

      http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/changes.asp?pid=AQBA12

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3, 2011
        I read all the emails about the problem with AQ not connecting to nfs and the probable reasons and the fact that it is now fixed.

        During this little crisis I had identical problems to those that were reported.

        Now I can check for changes and review with nfs. I can import changes and add information to nfs.

        However there is one problem that I have with the match up with nfs and wonder if anyone else has the problem.

        When I view familysearch notes I get the following error message: Family Search HTTP Error 404 FamilySearch was unable to find the information you requested.

        When I click okay to close that error message the notes field on the familysearch data base says there are no notes so I add sync my notes (knowing that I have done it in the past). I go to nfs website and find that there are two sets of notes that I added.

        One valuable thing I find with the ability to sync with nfs is to add notes or edit the notes without making a duplicate. Now I cannot tell if my notes are on nfs without going directly to nfs website.

        Anyone else out there experiencing the same problem?

        Leslie Vaughn

      • Jerry Taylor
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 4, 2011
          Leslie: I have discovered the same problem. I went in and deleted the extra notes in NFS. A pain but doable.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2011
            Thanks for validating my experience. My concern is that a strong feature of the AQ relating to nfs is now of no use. I wonder if it is a nfs problem or an AQ problem and if, or more optimistically, when it will be fixed.

            Leslie Vaughn

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2011
              This looks like a problem with nFS. We'll report it to FamilySearch and see if they can get it fixed.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 4, 2011
                Thanks Gaylon, I'll be waiting to see if this starts working.

                I cannot believe you are monitoring this on a holiday! Go out and have a picnic and watch the fireworks. We old genealogy geeks will still be here.

                Leslie

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4, 2011
                  Yes. I am having that problem as well. I just didn't bother to put the
                  notes in figuring I would come back later and do it.
                  I also have a problem that has been ongoing. I go to the individual's page
                  on newfamily search using AQ and perhaps have made some changes to that
                  record. While I am there, I click on parents to add the information there
                  as an ordinance date is showing. Then I get a message there are no parents.
                  If I close and go back and just open the parents then, it shows up. I
                  figured I had some weird thing set and haven't asked about this problem
                  before. Anyone else have this little thing happening? Any way to fix it?
                  Rosemary

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4, 2011
                    Is the child linked to the parents in question? Check the PID on your data base and match it to the PID of the child of these parents on nfs. Perhaps you need to do some combining. When I have had your problem this has always been the reason.

                    Leslie Vaughn

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                      Still having the same problems with the review the notes of an individual with nfs Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

                      Leslie

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                        AQ prints source footnotes in a proscribed sequence of fields, namely:

                        Author , Title , Additional Information_Publisher/Facts , unique Citation
                        reference , Citation Date , Repository . etc

                        (ignoring any specific Call Number, Actual Text or Comments pertaining to
                        the source definition)

                        Is there any way of changing this sequence?

                        Stewart

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                          Leslie:

                          There is light :-)

                          The FamilySearch team informed us earlier in the week that they had made a change about a week ago that requires a change in affiliate software to be able to read notes and sources.

                          As far as I know, AQ is the only affiliate product that reads nFS notes and sources, so this FamilySearch change might only affect AQ.

                          We have put the necessary change into AQ to read notes and sources with the new requirements.

                          We still have a few more changes we want to make before releasing the new build 31 (it's almost ready).

                          In the meantime, I have just put out a patch file with most of the changes that will be in build 31, including the ability to select color themes (skins), some more improvements to the handling of fonts in the Family view on wide screens, new toolbar icons and the fix for reading nFS notes and sources.

                          If you would like to use the patch file, you can download this file:

                          http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

                          and then extract the contents into your AQ program folder (typically "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1"). You can verify that you have copied the patch files in correctly by going to the "About" screen and looking at the build date. You should see "7/8/2011" if you are running the patched file.

                          If you use the patched file, we would appreciate hearing whether you have any trouble with the fonts on the Family screen before we release build 31 in a few more days.

                          Thanks,

                          Gaylon Findlay
                          Incline Software

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                            Thanks Gaylon. I'm glad the light is not the train coming at me.

                            I'll try this tomorrow. It is almost midnight and off to bed I must go!

                            I will be looking forward to the change.

                            Leslie

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 9, 2011
                              Has anyone else tried to follow these instructions. I don't know if it is operator error or my computer is weird. When I click on it, and say click the open box, my I.E. goes nuts. It flashes white and black and takes a long time to stop flashing. Eventually it does and I have 23 open IE files per the tool bar. I cannot open any of them and it stops my computer from functioning. I cannot even do the CAD to shut down the computer. I have to push the power button so it goes off.

                              Then I tried copying and pasting the link into Chrome--thinking that IE might be the problem. Instead of the open or save dialog box, I get the download folder and download it and it just makes a link that when clicked one opens IE again and back with go with the flashing and opening and closing many IE screens.

                              I have never opened a zip file before. I remember trying to do so in the past and got the same experience so it isn't anything that AQ did wrong. Somehow my computer doesn't know how (or its owner doesn't know how) to open a zip file.

                              Any suggestions would be welcome.

                              Leslie

[...]

                            • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                                I got the ZIP file to open after putting it in the same folder as directed.
                                (By the way, I like the new skins and fonts I've tried so far.)

                                I just discovered that NFS isn't available right now to try the notes patch.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 11, 2011
                                  I have a wide screen monitor - 24". I normally have AQ open on half of the
                                  screen and I have a CD of the American Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy open
                                  on the other half. I find that with the new fonts, it is much easier to see
                                  the names clearly than it was before (and I tried all of them before).

                                  Mary-Theresa

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 11, 2011
                                    I run two monitors, side by side. I can open two files and drag from to to the other.

                                    I am able to drag and drop for any file, letter, e-mail whatever and drop it right into AQ.

                                    Works for me, if at this stage in my life I went with split screens I don't think I could handle the confusion. I sort of cheat here, with squeezing and crunching I can have 4 files up and compare or transfer data, does cause some confusion tho. I prefer the two monitor, two different file options. Much easier and less stressful.

                                    Bill

                                    57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
                                    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e1b50dac5cfa350b02st01duc