New Build of AQ Released

    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2011
      All:

      We just released a new build of Ancestral Quest. This is version 12.1.29.

      You can download the new build by one of two methods:

      1) If you have been keeping up with the latest builds, you should see a
      "Newsline" window start the first time you run AQ each day. This window
      will give you a direct link to download the new build, as well as a link
      to see what has been improved in AQ.

      2) If you are not fairly up-to-date, you will need to open Ancestral
      Quest, then go to the "Internet" menu of AQ, then select the option to
      "Check for Latest AQ Release".

      In either case, once you have activated the link to get the new build,
      you will want to backup your database (this is a good excuse to do it)
      and then close AQ before installing the new build.

      Following is the list of enhancements/fixes.

      ** General Enhancements **

      Backups: You can now have AQ add the date and time to the name of a
      backup file. By default, the date is turned on. In 'Preferences' you can
      turn this off if you want backup filenames as before, and you can also
      ask for the time of day to be added to the backup filename.

      Backups: In the past, AQ would remind you every 10 times that you closed
      the file that you should backup. Now it will remind you every 3 times.

      Database Check/Repair: Additional refinements were made to find and fix
      additional reported issues.

      PDF Printing: The PDF-Exchange driver used by AQ requires 32-bit
      Windows. Users with 64-bit Windows were unable to print PDF files
      without the "Demo" watermark. AQ will now guide these users to download
      and use other free PDF creation drivers.

      GEDCOM Export to Flash Drive: In the early days of AQ, most people
      stored their data on floppy disks of 360KB. To keep users from
      inadvertently filling up precious room on the data floppy, AQ would not
      allow creating a GEDCOM file to the same removable disk. This same check
      was interfering with users now creating GEDCOM files to Flash
      Drives with much larger capacities. The check has been removed.

      Individual Edit Screen: Older computers would not allow as much
      information to fit on a screen as they do now. AQ had preferences for
      moving some data (either Other Events or LDS Data) to other screens.
      These preferences have been removed and Other Events will now always be
      on the main Individual Edit screen. If you have activated LDS data, it
      will now also always be on the main Individual Edit screen.

      ** General Bug Fixes **

      Fonts: The Pedigree and Family View text would seem extra large if you
      had defined the Large (120 dpi) rather than Normal (96 dpi) fonts in
      Windows. Fixed.

      Fonts: Several screen that have lists (such as the Search for
      Individual, Order Spouses, Order Children, Other Events) would not put
      the correct spacing between columns if you had 'Large Fonts' defined in
      Windows. Fixed.

      10 Children: If you had a family with 10 children in the Family view,
      and you clicked on the last child, sometimes AQ would improperly act as
      if you had clicked on 'Add Child'. Fixed.

      File Closing: If you had opened two or more files, then closed them by
      using the 'File|Close' menu option, AQ would crash. Fixed. (This didn't
      happen if you closed the files using the 'X' in the upper right corner
      of the program.)

      Modified Register: If you had set the # generations of the 'Traceback'
      to 0, you would expect that not only the list of names would be removed
      from the report, but that the parenthesis surrounding the list would be
      removed. This wasn't happening. Fixed.

      Page of Testimony: The Page of Testimony (for Holocaust victims) was
      inadvertently deactivated in the last build. Fixed. (Only available for
      full version of AQ, not for AQ Basics.)

      GEDCOM Import: If you were using a non-English language, and you
      imported a date with a 3-character month abbreviation that didn't match
      English, then the date wasn't imported correctly. Fixed.

      Backup Folder: You can specify various folders in Preferences. If you
      had set one folder for your backup folder, and a different folder for
      your data folder, the restore process was suggesting that you restore to
      the backup folder rather than to the data folder. It now makes the
      proper recommendation.

      Pedigree Charts: If you had the rare situation when there was no death
      information, but there was burial information, and you had sources for
      the burial, the sources would print OK, but the footnote number would
      not show on the chart. Fixed.

      Publish a Family Book: If you included several "Individual Summary"
      reports as chapters in your published book, later chapters could get
      larger margins, and therefore less room to print the report, with the
      possibility that the report would hang. Fixed.

      PAF Database: If you were using a PAF database (.paf) and you had
      sources for the LDS "Seal to Parent" event, you might see your list of
      sources properly in the "Notes/Sources" screen, but if you used the 'S'
      button next to the event to see the list of sources, you might see the
      wrong sources. Fixed.

      PAF Database: If you had Seal to Parent sources and printed an
      Individual Summary page, you might see the wrong sources. Fixed.

      ** Enhancements to nFS Features **

      Reserving LDS Ordinances: If you try to reserve an ordinance for someone
      who has died within the last 95 years, you will be required to state
      that you have proper permission from the family before making the
      reservation.

      FHC Version Login: In a library setting, AQ should not remember the ID
      and password of the last person who used the computer. The FHC version
      will no longer allow this.

      New LDS Events: The new LDS Ordinances (LDS Confirmation and Initiatory)
      which many LDS users now download into AQ are being stored as Other
      Events. Some checks were put into the program in earlier builds to keep
      these from showing when the option to not show LDS data was activated,
      but they still showed in many situations. These should now only show
      when the LDS Data option is turned on.

      ** Bug Fixes to nFS Features **

      Conversion of ORTS Data: If you had information in AQ's Ordinance
      Reservation and Tracking System, and you converted the file, you would
      lose this ORTS data. (Note that the master copy of the data is always on
      the New FamilySearch site, so this data could mostly be recovered, but
      some of the special handling of this data by AQ would be lost.) Fixed.
    • Scott Scheibe
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2011
        At 12:23 PM 5/13/2011, you wrote:
        >PDF Printing: The PDF-Exchange driver used by AQ requires 32-bit
        >Windows. Users with 64-bit Windows were unable to print PDF files
        >without the "Demo" watermark. AQ will now guide these users to download
        >and use other free PDF creation drivers.

        Primopdf would be my recommendation, I uninstalled PDF-Exchange
        because it putting water marks on everything in Win xp 32. Primopdf
        is free and works fairly well, one of the guys from our IT department
        told me about it a few years ago.

        http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx

        Scott Scheibe
        dsscheibe@...
        <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

        Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
        <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

        Searching: (first six generation surnames of fifteen partially found)
        ALDRICH, ANTHONY, APELT, BAUM, CHURCH, FRAZIER, GARDNER, HAMMOND,
        HENNIG, HUNT, KELLY, KISSELL, LEIN, MANLEY, MC_CLOUD, MC GINNIS,
        MILLER, MEYER, MOORE, MOSLEY, MYERS, NANCE, RIECHE, SAWYER, SCHEIBE,
        SCHUMAKE, SHAW, SOUTHERN, WALLACE, WALKER, WESTBROOK, WOODWARD
      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2011
          I use PrimoPDF on my 32-bit Vista computer but could not get it to install
          on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop. (They may have a new version by now.) On my
          laptop, I installed PDFCreator, PDF Cube and PDF-XChange3. As you have
          stated, PDF-XChange3 adds an annoying watermark in the corners of the
          document. The other two PDF printers work fine, with no watermark.

          --
          Bill Buchanan
          blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

          On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Scott Scheibe <dsscheibe@...>wrote:

          > At 12:23 PM 5/13/2011, you wrote:
          > >PDF Printing: The PDF-Exchange driver used by AQ requires 32-bit
          > >Windows. Users with 64-bit Windows were unable to print PDF files
          > >without the "Demo" watermark. AQ will now guide these users to download
          > >and use other free PDF creation drivers.
          >
          > Primopdf would be my recommendation, I uninstalled PDF-Exchange
          > because it putting water marks on everything in Win xp 32. Primopdf
          > is free and works fairly well, one of the guys from our IT department
          > told me about it a few years ago.
          >
          > http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx
          >
          > Scott Scheibe
          > dsscheibe@...
          > <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>
          >
          > Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
          > <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
          >
          > Searching: (first six generation surnames of fifteen partially found)
          > ALDRICH, ANTHONY, APELT, BAUM, CHURCH, FRAZIER, GARDNER, HAMMOND,
          > HENNIG, HUNT, KELLY, KISSELL, LEIN, MANLEY, MC_CLOUD, MC GINNIS,
          > MILLER, MEYER, MOORE, MOSLEY, MYERS, NANCE, RIECHE, SAWYER, SCHEIBE,
          > SCHUMAKE, SHAW, SOUTHERN, WALLACE, WALKER, WESTBROOK, WOODWARD

        • Bob Penry
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2011
            I installed PRIMO and it works fine IN 64 bit. In the print selection use
            printer instead of PDF and choose PRIMO as the printer. Make sure that you
            have also installed NITRO when you installed PRIMO. (NITRO is the reader)
            when you open the document, it will open in NITRO and you can print to any
            printer of your choice from NITRO.

            This is the entire process:
            Install PRIMO and NITRO
            In AQ choose something to print (I choose a pedigree chart)
            Click on PDF (You will get a screen asking you to either install a PDF
            program or choose one already installed)
            Choose Already Installed and then scroll down on the printer select screen
            and choose PrimoPDF
            Choose Print/Screen With PRIMO as your printer (It will then create the PDF
            file)
            Open the created PDF file (it will open in NITRO)
            Print it out on your attached printer.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 18, 2011
              I decided to give PRIMO a real workout and ran a 7-generation full fan chart. It came out totally legible, but of course very, very small print. In the instructions, I should have pointed out just how PRIMO works. When you choose Print/Screen, the data is output into a special folder on your PC called PRIMOPort. The PRIMO program then opens this file automatically and you then choose the create PDF Option, giving the output file a name and specifying a folder location of your choice. It then opens in NITRO Reader and from there you can print it out.

              At first it seems a long process, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite simple. Its not ADOBE, but you can't beat the price!

              I will again repeat the complete process.
              1. Install PRIMO and NITRO
              2. In AQ: File - Print Reports and Charts (Choose a Report or Chart)
              3. Choose Destination - PDF
              4. Press Button labeled: Select an Installed PDF Printer Driver
              5. Scroll Down on Print Setup Properties and Select PrimoPDF (Also choose Portrait or Landscape for the output) Press OK
              6. Choose Destination - Printer/Screen and press the PRINT button on your Reports and Charts menu
              7. The Print screen will appear and should say Name: PrimoPDF, Status: Ready, Type: PrimoPDF, Where: PrimoPort - Press OK
              8. Your will go back to the Reports and Charts Screen (you can stay there or close depending on if you are going to print more reports or charts.
              9. The PrimoPDF will automatically appear - Click the Create PDF Button Notice the top of the screen gives you options for the file. The Print Icon should be highlighted
              10. The Save As Screen appears - Choose a location and file name to store the file. Example: C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\Mary Smith RIN 3201 Fan Chart
              11. Press Save
              12. Nitro PDF Reader opens and Displays your file
              13. File - Print (Print out your PDF report or chart to the printer of your choice, or send as an E-Mail Attachment)