Re: [AQ_NFS] NFS Nightmare

  • John Vilburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2011
      While it is impossible to prevent others from combining those people incorrectly, there is a tool that makes separating them easier. It is called AncestorSplit.

      Rather than separating the person based on the individual NFS Ids, it lets you separate based on the data. Taking your Elizabeth and Letitia example, if the twins were born in 1850 and the other Elizabeth and Letitia were born in 1851 and 1852 respectively, you could click on the 1852 birth date and separate out all of the records for the non-twin Letitia. Then you could click on the 1851 birth date to separate out all of the records for the non-twin Elizabeth. Then you could click on the grandmother's birth date to separate out her records. Then you could click on the name Letitia to separate the twins. And you get to see the results as you go, so you can play around with different combinations until you have everything right. Finally, when everything is the way you want, you click OK to submit the changes to NFS.

      AncestorSplit is available on the Tools menu of FamilyInsight, which you can buy at ancquest.com

      Aloha,
      John

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2011
        I've thought of doing that, but I have 1000s of ancestors who were either
        early LDS or there are ancestors that I have in common with LDS people so
        that the work has been done so much. I'm afraid that if I did put a watch
        on each of these, I'd probably do nothing but deal with these issues and
        wouldn't have time to do new research.

        Maybe I will try it.

        Anyone else have any experience with the "watch" feature on nfs.

        Leslie
        ps. It would help if we could see who has combined and uncombined records
        as we look at the records. In this way we wouldn't have to worry about the
        watch feature and being inundated with notifications. If we could tell ,on
        our schedule, who is doing this we might be able to open a dialog which is
        part of nfs mission.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2011
          Sometimes the errors have been made prior to nFS existence, usually in
          Ancestral File or PRF.

          I have used the Watch feature both successfully and not so successfully.
          When I find an ancestor on nFS where the temple work is reserved, or in
          progress, I try to remember to click on Watch so that I can be notified when
          the work is complete. However, some of those cases don't get resolved
          quickly, and I have not done a good job of setting a timer on them in some
          way that I can go back and check them when an unreasonably lengthy time has
          passed. I suspect when they have been sitting around for a long time, the
          person reserving them is no longer with us, and they are hung in limbo until
          someone (me?) jars it loose.

          I have also used Watch in just the way that was suggested, i.e., to monitor
          an ancestor who seems to be the target for unwanted combinations. So far,
          the only notifications I have received in this case have been benign, i.e.,
          I agreed with the work that was being done, so I've just had the
          satisfaction of knowing that it happened.

          I think the Watch is a good feature, and I have not been inundated with
          excessive notifications.

          Jim

          > One new thing that is worth trying is to register a :Watch" on certain
          > individuals at risk of being wrongly combined. That way if they get
          > combined, you are at least informed who did it.
          > Unfortunately some users seem to think that all "possible duplicates" need
          > to be combined. They need to be educated. If you sent them a copy of the
          > correct info and asked them if they would mind restoring the data in nFS
          > the correct form, they probably would not make that error again any time
          > soon.
          >
          > Bill Buchanan
          >
          > On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Leslie Vaughn
          > <Leslievaughn@...>wrote:
          >

          >> It doesn't bring any chuckles to me probably because I acutely feel your
          >> pain.
          >>
          >> I can understand why someone would combine--the names were the same as
          >> were
          >> names of spouses and other relatives, although I cannot justify why they
          >> did
          >> it. Just looking at dates and places should have given them a clue.
          >>
          >> What I don't understand is how people can get combined with just a barely
          >> passing resemblance to another person.
          >>
          >> When I have checked for duplicates, I am sometimes presented choices that
          >> have no bearing on the person, other than a similar last name or
          >> birthdate.
          >> I have been presented as possible duplicates of my US born and bred
          >> relatives someone in Australia or England or New Zealand and sometimes
          >> born
          >> decades apart. I suppose if I weren't paying attention to the details, I
          >> would have gone willy-nilly and combined them.
          >>
          >> I have been working on nfs since in rolled out in Florida several years
          >> ago
          >> and I still am not brave enough to tackle my early LDS ancestry or the
          >> colonial ancestry I have whose other descendants might be LDS and thus
          >> had
          >> the work done upwards of 80 times or have been put in AF or PRF 100s of
          >> times and then were brought into nfs to be combined, confused and messed
          >> up.
          >>
          >> I have recently found someone whose name was the same as his father. He
          >> married a distant cousin whose name was the same as his mother. I have
          >> just
          >> put them into nfs with appropriate dates but I am just holding my breath
          >> that the mother and her daughter-in-law will be combined and the father
          >> and
          >> son will be combined.
          >>
          >> I don't know what the answer is but I would like to see one before this
          >> system rolls out to non-LDS in full and our system becomes a laughing
          >> stock
          >> of the genealogical community and no one trusts it.
          >>
          >> Leslie

          lkAzI1MjI5Njk2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwOTMzNDk5MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTMwMj
          U0NTY2MA-->