sources

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
      I thought I had figured out how to add sources properly in AQ, but I still don't get it right yet.

      I want to use one source 30 or 40 times BUT I want to add the data about each individual without it showing up for everyone.

      In PAF there is Actual Text inside the Sourse file; and after that is closed, and selected; there is another Actual Source where one can add pages of data (if one wishes) without it showing up for anyone but the one individual.

      Can this be done in AQ? If so, how?

      Cleadie B.

    • Stewart Millar
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
        In AQ sources -

        For each Citation of the Source - each individual use of the source has its
        own unique citation - you can use any of the citation fields that suit your
        purpose and they will only show up in that single use of the source - the
        citation fields are - Vol/Page/Film (for the detailed citation reference);
        Entry Date (for when this source was created); Reference (for your own
        filing reference of any source document copy); Actual Text (if you want to
        transcribe the content of the source); Comments (if you want to add any
        extra information or views about the source).

        You need to make sure that when you define the source that you define it
        with a generic description that will suit its multiple use - in other words,
        do not define a source as "Birth Certificate for John Jones" - because you
        will only be able to use that once - whereas, if you define the source as
        "Birth Certificate" (maybe "Birth Certificate - England & Wales" to separate
        them from "Birth Certificate - Scotland/Nevada etc" - you can use it
        multiple times, each time providing the unique citation detail that is
        unique to each use.

        I often find that many people in setting up sources feel that they have to
        use every field offered in the set up for defining a source - you do not -
        only use those fields that you understand and that make sense to you.
        Especially - do not use the Call no./Actual Text/Comments in the source
        definition unless these fields can really be applied to every use of the
        source. You will only see the source citation details after you have set up
        the "Source" and select it for use against a specific event - then, as
        described above, all the citation details entered will be unique to that
        particular use of the "Source".

        Stewart

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
          Thank you for trying to help. Unfortunately I should have asked about citations, not sources.

          After the source was made and selected, and I added the citation, and saved it, The questions that followed of whether to apply these changes to all events that use this citation, etc., had me stumped until this morning. Your message made me take a better look at the various screens and I hope I have now got my head on straight.

          Thank you,
          Cleadie B.