Re: [AQ_NFS] Beta test of new AQ build

  • Ronald Sudweeks
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
      See my comments below, but keep in mind I still consider myself a novice
      genealogy person.

      I took me a while to get the patch file into my default folder as I am
      running Windows 7
      64 bit, and it protects both

      "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1")

      and

      "C:\Program Files(x86)\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1")

      but I finally did get it there OK.

      On 1/11/2011 10:12 PM, Gaylon Findlay wrote:
      > All:
      >
      > If any of you would like to help us out for a quick test, we would
      > appreciate it.
      >
      > We are about to release build 28 of AQ 12.1. Before we do, we would like
      > some of our users to test it and make sure that they feel it is ready to
      > be released.
      >
      > These are the items that have been fixed or enhanced since build 27:
      >
      > Added: AQ's ability to let you do custom Internet searches has been
      > enhanced. In addition to using the given names and surname, you can now
      > specify birth date and place and death date and place.
      >
      > Added: In the December 2010 release of FamilySearch, millions or
      > billions of indexed records were made available to the public. We have
      > added searches under "Search Favorite Sites" to access these records.
      > (There are three searches, labeled, "FamilySearch (New-Birth)" which
      > will supplement the name with birth information; "FamilySearch
      > (New-General)" which will supplement the name with birth year and death
      > year; and "FamilySearch (New-Death)" which will supplement the name with
      > death information.) This should be a exciting boon to users of AQ, who
      > want to search for their ancestors.

      All above seemed to work OK

      > Added: The ability to select a different language easily from the
      > Pedigree and Family views. This patch file contains a partial
      > translation of AQ into Finnish. If you could please test selecting the
      > Finnish language, the switching back to English to see if everything
      > looks smooth. (We expect to release a complete translation of German in
      > the next few days, along with partial translations of a few other
      > languages, including Spanish. The Finnish translation we are providing
      > for this test only has a couple of screens translated. The partial
      > translations of other languages will have the most commonly used screens
      > and reports translated.)

      As I have never tried the language tools so I was not familiar with
      doing this.
      I saw two different ways that should change the language, the one from the
      tools menu, did allow me to change to another language and back to English,
      (not sure which language it was, but it was not Finnish) but I did not see
      Finnish, but as I said I am only English speaking. The other method was
      a drop down
      box in the top right hand corner, no Finnish there either, but if I
      selected a different
      language, I tried more then one but not all, it took me to you web
      site with the
      opportunity to download different language modules.

      --

      ------
      Ronald Sudweeks

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5782 (20110112) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • Paul, Incline Support
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
        Gunilla:

        From the menubar, choose *Internet > Search Favorite Sites*. That is
        how you can get to these new searches.

        You can also select *Internet *> *Favorite Sites...* and *choose one*
        of those search options, then click to *Make **Default *and *Close *the
        window. Then, for one-click access to that search option, click the
        far-right button on the Toolbar (the computer in front of the globe,
        labeled /Connect/Search favorite WWW site/).

        *Paul Johnson*
        Support Technician

        Incline Software
        PO Box 95543
        South Jordan, UT 84095 USA

        www.ancquest.com <http://www.ancquest.com>
        801-280-4434

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
          A user just pointed out that I overlooked something. If you are trying
          to follow my request to switch to Finnish and then back to English,
          realize that the non-English languages are in their native form. Finnish
          appears on the list as "Suomi," not as "Finnish". :-) My mistake.

          Gaylon

        • prof_pilot_car
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2011
            All day have been getting this error from searches at familysearch.org:

            The connection was reset

            The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
            * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
            moments.

            * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
            connection.

            * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
            that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

            Trying again does not seem to help. I got the same thing through AQ

            MJ
          • Stewart Millar
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2011
              Just noticed . . . when I sort the Name List on the NFS id . . . does not
              result in all the individuals with a NFS id being picked up for sorting -
              i.e., I get some of them sorted in sequence but others with a NFS id are not
              picked up and are separated in the sort with random number of records with
              blank NFS id's between them and the main body of sorted NFS records . . .
              additionally, some of those in the sorted results also appear as duplicate
              entries, with their NFS id, as some of these separated NFS records.

              Very odd . . . is this happening to anyone else?

              Stewart

            • Stewart Millar
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2011
                Cancel this issue . . . was fixed by a close and restart of AQ . . . but,
                without the restart does look like an issue.

                Stewart

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14, 2011
                  Stewart:

                  AQ is able to keep the RIN index and Alphabetic index up to date "on the
                  fly" as you adjust records. The other sorts are temporary "snapshots" of
                  the data.

                  After you adjust data that affects other sorts on this screen, you may
                  need to re-sort the data. I'd first try right clicking on the heading of
                  the NFS id column, then use the "resort" option when you require an
                  up-to-date sort. As you've noticed, when you close AQ and restart it, AQ
                  will take a new "snapshot" at that time, so the index will initially be
                  up-to-date. You could also quickly sort on some other column then
                  reselect the NFS ID column. This will also force AQ to rebuild the
                  temporary index for that column.

                  Gaylon