Beta test of new AQ build

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2011
      All:

      If any of you would like to help us out for a quick test, we would
      appreciate it.

      We are about to release build 28 of AQ 12.1. Before we do, we would like
      some of our users to test it and make sure that they feel it is ready to
      be released.

      These are the items that have been fixed or enhanced since build 27:

      Added: AQ's ability to let you do custom Internet searches has been
      enhanced. In addition to using the given names and surname, you can now
      specify birth date and place and death date and place.

      Added: In the December 2010 release of FamilySearch, millions or
      billions of indexed records were made available to the public. We have
      added searches under "Search Favorite Sites" to access these records.
      (There are three searches, labeled, "FamilySearch (New-Birth)" which
      will supplement the name with birth information; "FamilySearch
      (New-General)" which will supplement the name with birth year and death
      year; and "FamilySearch (New-Death)" which will supplement the name with
      death information.) This should be a exciting boon to users of AQ, who
      want to search for their ancestors.

      Added: The ability to select a different language easily from the
      Pedigree and Family views. This patch file contains a partial
      translation of AQ into Finnish. If you could please test selecting the
      Finnish language, the switching back to English to see if everything
      looks smooth. (We expect to release a complete translation of German in
      the next few days, along with partial translations of a few other
      languages, including Spanish. The Finnish translation we are providing
      for this test only has a couple of screens translated. The partial
      translations of other languages will have the most commonly used screens
      and reports translated.)

      Enhanced: Some screens that seemed extra cramped were expanded a bit.
      This made it easier for translators to convert short English text into
      sometimes longer non-English text, but also makes these screen feel less
      crowded.

      Fixed: In the December 2010 release of FamilySearch, FamilySearch
      introduced a bug in their API which in turn, caused AQ to crash. AQ will
      no longer crash in this situation, but will report the FamilySearch error.

      Fixed: In AQ's build 12.1.27, a feature was added to allow LDS users to
      search ordinance batches for a person. If the person was not found in
      the list of batches, AQ would sometimes hang. Fixed.

      ================================

      If you would like to download and test this new build, please follow
      these instructions:

      1) Make a backup of your database.

      2) Close AQ

      3) Download this file: http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

      4) Extract the contents of this file into your AQ program folder (which
      is typically "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1")

      5) Run AQ -- go to the "About Ancestral Quest" screen under the 'Help'
      menu to verify that the date of the build is "1/11/2011". It should
      still show that it is build 27 -- we will update the build number to
      build 28 after giving users a day or two to give feedback on this build.

      6) If you have successfully installed the patch, please use AQ normally,
      and test the new searches on FamilySearch as well as switching between
      languages, then let me know by Thursday (1/13) morning whether you found
      any problems at "gfindlay@...". (We want to release this by
      mid-day Thursday, so we're on a tight schedule.)

      Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software
    • Ronald Sudweeks
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
        See my comments below, but keep in mind I still consider myself a novice
        genealogy person.

        I took me a while to get the patch file into my default folder as I am
        running Windows 7
        64 bit, and it protects both

        "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1")

        and

        "C:\Program Files(x86)\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1")

        but I finally did get it there OK.

        On 1/11/2011 10:12 PM, Gaylon Findlay wrote:
        > All:
        >
        > If any of you would like to help us out for a quick test, we would
        > appreciate it.
        >
        > We are about to release build 28 of AQ 12.1. Before we do, we would like
        > some of our users to test it and make sure that they feel it is ready to
        > be released.
        >
        > These are the items that have been fixed or enhanced since build 27:
        >
        > Added: AQ's ability to let you do custom Internet searches has been
        > enhanced. In addition to using the given names and surname, you can now
        > specify birth date and place and death date and place.
        >
        > Added: In the December 2010 release of FamilySearch, millions or
        > billions of indexed records were made available to the public. We have
        > added searches under "Search Favorite Sites" to access these records.
        > (There are three searches, labeled, "FamilySearch (New-Birth)" which
        > will supplement the name with birth information; "FamilySearch
        > (New-General)" which will supplement the name with birth year and death
        > year; and "FamilySearch (New-Death)" which will supplement the name with
        > death information.) This should be a exciting boon to users of AQ, who
        > want to search for their ancestors.

        All above seemed to work OK

        > Added: The ability to select a different language easily from the
        > Pedigree and Family views. This patch file contains a partial
        > translation of AQ into Finnish. If you could please test selecting the
        > Finnish language, the switching back to English to see if everything
        > looks smooth. (We expect to release a complete translation of German in
        > the next few days, along with partial translations of a few other
        > languages, including Spanish. The Finnish translation we are providing
        > for this test only has a couple of screens translated. The partial
        > translations of other languages will have the most commonly used screens
        > and reports translated.)

        As I have never tried the language tools so I was not familiar with
        doing this.
        I saw two different ways that should change the language, the one from the
        tools menu, did allow me to change to another language and back to English,
        (not sure which language it was, but it was not Finnish) but I did not see
        Finnish, but as I said I am only English speaking. The other method was
        a drop down
        box in the top right hand corner, no Finnish there either, but if I
        selected a different
        language, I tried more then one but not all, it took me to you web
        site with the
        opportunity to download different language modules.

        --

        ------
        Ronald Sudweeks

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5782 (20110112) __________

        http://www.eset.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
          I thought I'd give this a shot so I have downloaded the new beta build.

          I can see the box where I can switch language, but I don't understand the
          search feature:

          (There are three searches, labeled, "FamilySearch (New-Birth)" which
          will supplement the name with birth information; "FamilySearch
          (New-General)" which will supplement the name with birth year and death
          year; and "FamilySearch (New-Death)"

          Where do I find that? I have looked under Internet and under Family
          Search? Under Internet I can get search Family search general and IGI, but
          nowhere to specify birth or death info??

          /Gunilla

          any problems at "gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> ".
          (We want to release this by
          mid-day Thursday, so we're on a tight schedule.)

          Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

          Gaylon Findlay
          Incline Software

        • Paul, Incline Support
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
            Gunilla:

            From the menubar, choose *Internet > Search Favorite Sites*. That is
            how you can get to these new searches.

            You can also select *Internet *> *Favorite Sites...* and *choose one*
            of those search options, then click to *Make **Default *and *Close *the
            window. Then, for one-click access to that search option, click the
            far-right button on the Toolbar (the computer in front of the globe,
            labeled /Connect/Search favorite WWW site/).

            *Paul Johnson*
            Support Technician

            Incline Software
            PO Box 95543
            South Jordan, UT 84095 USA

            www.ancquest.com <http://www.ancquest.com>
            801-280-4434

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2011
              A user just pointed out that I overlooked something. If you are trying
              to follow my request to switch to Finnish and then back to English,
              realize that the non-English languages are in their native form. Finnish
              appears on the list as "Suomi," not as "Finnish". :-) My mistake.

              Gaylon

            • prof_pilot_car
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12 1:25 PM
                All day have been getting this error from searches at familysearch.org:

                The connection was reset

                The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
                * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
                moments.

                * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
                connection.

                * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
                that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

                Trying again does not seem to help. I got the same thing through AQ

                MJ
              • Stewart Millar
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13 8:05 PM
                  Just noticed . . . when I sort the Name List on the NFS id . . . does not
                  result in all the individuals with a NFS id being picked up for sorting -
                  i.e., I get some of them sorted in sequence but others with a NFS id are not
                  picked up and are separated in the sort with random number of records with
                  blank NFS id's between them and the main body of sorted NFS records . . .
                  additionally, some of those in the sorted results also appear as duplicate
                  entries, with their NFS id, as some of these separated NFS records.

                  Very odd . . . is this happening to anyone else?

                  Stewart

                • Stewart Millar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13 8:09 PM
                    Cancel this issue . . . was fixed by a close and restart of AQ . . . but,
                    without the restart does look like an issue.

                    Stewart

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14 10:52 AM
                      Stewart:

                      AQ is able to keep the RIN index and Alphabetic index up to date "on the
                      fly" as you adjust records. The other sorts are temporary "snapshots" of
                      the data.

                      After you adjust data that affects other sorts on this screen, you may
                      need to re-sort the data. I'd first try right clicking on the heading of
                      the NFS id column, then use the "resort" option when you require an
                      up-to-date sort. As you've noticed, when you close AQ and restart it, AQ
                      will take a new "snapshot" at that time, so the index will initially be
                      up-to-date. You could also quickly sort on some other column then
                      reselect the NFS ID column. This will also force AQ to rebuild the
                      temporary index for that column.

                      Gaylon