Patch for FamilySearch Bug (and access to indexed records in FamilySearch)

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2010
      All:

      Several users have reported that they cannot review some batches in the
      Manage Batches screen of AQ. I suspect that most users are not having a
      problem, but that this is a rare situation.

      If you get an error 500 while loading a batch to review, and AQ crashes,
      then you will want do download an emergency patch we just put out to
      keep AQ from crashing.

      ** Summary **

      FamilySearch introduced a bug in their system on 12/13. So we have two
      problems:

      1) FamilySearch is no longer providing ordinance information on some
      people, due to a bug in their system

      2) When AQ encountered that situation, it crashed.

      We have fixed AQ so that it no longer crashes. In cases where this used
      to happen, you should be able to see the rest of the batch, but will not
      see ordinance data on any records that have this problem, because
      FamilySearch has a bug. I have reported the bug to FamilySearch, and
      they are looking into it. Typically, they only fix bugs every 3 months,
      so it may be until the February 2011 release of nFS before this is fixed
      properly.

      You can get a patch that will fix AQ, so that it will no longer crash in
      this situation. The file to download is:

      http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

      The contents of this .zip file will need to be extracted to the AQ 12.1
      program folder, which is typically:

      "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1"

      Once successfully extracted, the next time you run AQ, you should go to
      the "About" screen in the Help menu and see that the compile date is
      today's date (12/22/10). This crash should be fixed.

      We are hoping to put out a new build in the next week or two which will
      provide some other functionality, and this fix will be part of that build.

      Gaylon

      ps. This patch also added links to the newly available indexed records
      of www.familysearch.org. After installing this patch, go to the
      "Internet" menu, then to "Search Favorite Sites". You should see three
      new items:

      FamilySearch (New-Birth) -- This will search www.familysearch.org using
      the birth date and place of the highlighted individual
      FamilySearch (New-Death) -- This will search www.familysearch.org using
      the death date and place of the highlighted individual
      FamilySearch (New-General) -- This will search www.familysearch.org
      using the simple search, providing the birth place and both the birth
      and death years as a range.

      AQ has also been upgraded, with this patch, to allow you to send the
      birth and death data to any search engine. In the past, you have been
      able to search on first and last names. Now you can supplement these
      with birth and death information to get more specific results.
    • emregister
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
        Can anyone point me in the right direction to start tracking cards that I
        have assigned (given) to others?

        I have entered other names for assignment and yet when I make a reservation
        I am still restricted to 'temple' or 'me'.

        Eric

        -----

        No virus found in this message.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
          Eric:

          Once the reservations have been made, and the FOR has been generated, AQ
          places these names into a Batch.

          When you "Review" a batch, you'll see an option in the upper right
          corner of the screen for adding names of people you give cards to, and
          you'll see buttons for assigning cards to others. Ultimately, the
          ordinances will still be assigned to 'temple' or to 'me', but any cards
          assigned to 'me' can be tracked as being in the possession of others.

          I think that AQ is the only program that lets you track cards this way.

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
            Gaylon, thanks.

            I found your tutorial and it made all things clear. It made other things
            clear as well. Thanks again.

            Eric

            _____

            Once the reservations have been made, and the FOR has been generated, AQ
            places these names into a Batch.

            When you "Review" a batch, you'll see an option in the upper right
            corner of the screen for adding names of people you give cards to, and
            you'll see buttons for assigning cards to others. Ultimately, the
            ordinances will still be assigned to 'temple' or to 'me', but any cards
            assigned to 'me' can be tracked as being in the possession of others.

            I think that AQ is the only program that lets you track cards this way.

            Gaylon

            On 1/3/2011 6:18 PM, emregister wrote:

            > Can anyone point me in the right direction to start tracking cards that I
            > have assigned (given) to others?
            >

            > I have entered other names for assignment and yet when I make a
            reservation
            > I am still restricted to 'temple' or 'me'.
            >

            > Eric
            >

            > -----
            >
            > No virus found in this message.

            _____

            size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0" align=center>

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011

              A friend was giving serious consideration to RM so I dug up the comparison
              video you did with AQ, RM and Family Insight and passed it along to him.
              His wife, who is a AQ fan, looked at it and reconfirmed her choice. I also
              reviewed it and it is indeed very good.

              I expect these videos take a lot of work but it would be nice if we had an
              updated video - maybe AQ, RM and Legacy to review and to share.

              I keep looking at other products so I will be prepared if someone comes to
              the FHC asking for help but each time I check out another product I just
              shake my head and wonder what the appeal is. Maybe people like the colour
              used in RM :-) I don't care about colour but can see no other possible
              reason for their choice.

              Thanks for a great product that just keeps getting better and better.

            • Bob Penry
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                Since I teach courses in genealogical research, I am frequently asked "What is the best program?" This is a tough question, since each program has its own merits.
                I have the following programs available on my computer for comparison purposes, Personal Ancestral File (PAF), Ancestral Quest (AQ), Roots Magic (RM), Legacy, Family Insight, Master Genealogist, and Family Tree Maker (FTM). I have been doing research for over 50 years and have used genealogical software since it was first introduced in DOS format.

                I use two programs as follows:

                1. Ancestral Quest. It is simple to use and yet sophisticated enough for my purposes. I use it to submit names for ordinance work. Absolutely the best for this purpose.
                I like the similarity in appearance to PAF. Since PAF was the first program I ever used, I find the similarity makes it easier for me to use AQ than other programs.

                2. Family Insight. For updating my AQ data base with completed temple work or to edit place names, I use Family Insight. No other program can even come close to the Edit Place Names feature. Since I insist on historical accuracy in my use of place names, it is an indispensable tool for me. (Historical accuracy is entering a place as it was named at the date of the event - For instance a person born in 1700 in Maine was born in the Maine Province, Massachusetts Colony, America - Not Maine, United States and West Virginia was Virginia before the Civil War) I also do a lot of medieval research and knowing that a location was in Austrasia, or Kingdom of the Franks, etc. is important to me.

                I have found these two programs to be indispensable for my research.

                I am not saying my choice is the best. It is the best for me. Understand that all programs are based on the concept of an under-lying database with the exception of Family Insight which is a tool to supplement other programs. Each program has merits, and it really comes down to personal choice. However, no matter what program I choose, it would be supplemented by Family Insight.

                Here is my personal evaluation of the various database programs.

                Personal Ancestral File - Free program. Originally written by the Ancestral Quest folks. They share the same data base - unless using the advanced features of AQ. Too much manual work in keeping data up-to-date. The need to move to Ancestral Quest becomes very apparent when making comparisions between the two programs.

                Ancestral Quest - Easy to read simple screens, PAF on steroids. The LDS Ordinance section is tops. The Advanced Search feature is very, very good, especially in combination with Reports, and Ordinance submission. Not the best program for Web Publishing

                Roots Magic - Good looking screens that anyone who is a Windows Wiz would appreciate. The search feature is very good, Publishing feature nice.

                Legacy - Family Screen is very nice - color coded by sex and shows individual with parents and children. Charts look good but selection is pretty standard.

                Master Genealogist. Very powerful program. User can adjust features. Great for managing supporting document images and photos. Very good for publishing. Has probably the best set of tools available. Not an easy learning-curve however.

                Family Tree Maker - Link to Ancestry.com is great. However, lack of link to New Family Search makes it of little value to LDS researcher. This was a great disappointment on release 11. The screens are good. Since upon opening, it links to Ancestry.com, you really need a good broadband connection. Otherwise expect a slow boot and use time for the program.

                Tool: Family Insight - Again a must have tool. I can't even imagine doing research without it.

                What then is the difference between the various programs?
                a.. Appearance of the various screens (family view, pedigree) All display pretty much the same basic data. Some can display more information
                b.. Charts and Reports. Some have more of each and some look better than competitors.
                c.. Publishing to Web. Some have more bells and whistles and ease in publishing.
                d.. Interface to other sites - links and updates from NFS and Ancestry.
                e.. Research notes, planning tools.
                Finally since I have all these programs - do I use any of them besides AQ and Family Insight? Yes, I import my data into Master Genealogist for publishing purposes and to take advantage of the charting and reports capabilities. Even though they are good programs, I don't use Roots Magic, Legacy, or Family Tree Maker.

              • emregister
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2011
                  Help, I am checking for changes. When I finish a section it is my practice
                  to go back and run the check again and see if there are any I missed. Here
                  is my problem. Let us call the records A,B,C and D.

                  If I check then A and B show changed. I review or mark as reviewed and
                  check again and C and D show changed. I review these and run again and A
                  and B show as changed. This sequence of AB the CD repeats. And on and on.
                  Any ideas?

                • Jerry Taylor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2011
                    When I have had a problem with the check for changes repeating the same individuals time after time I have had to do one of several things to get it to go away.
                    First, when I do a review I always do a save on the review screen whether I need to make any changes or not.
                    Second, I look to see if I need to do a check and repair on the AQ data base to make sure there are no data base errors.
                    Third, if there are no errors on the AQ data base then I unlink the individual from NFS and then relink the individual. This usually takes care of the problem.
                    Jerry

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2011
                      Many thanks. I ran check and repair and AQ found a marriage problem. That
                      fixed it.

                      Eric