Beta Test of New FamilySearch

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2010
      All:

      New FamilySearch is now in beta test of the November, 2010 release. It
      was delayed a bit.

      I have just made available a special version of AQ that will work with
      the beta of New FamilySearch, rather than the live data on New FamilySearch.

      If you have the time and energy, please spend a bit of time over the
      next day or two testing AQ with the new features of New FamilySearch. It
      is possible that New FamilySearch has introduced bugs that might affect
      AQ. If we discover these now, we might be able to get FamilySearch to
      fix the bugs before they release the November 2010 build. We understand
      that due to the delay in starting the beta, they don't expect the beta
      to run as long as in the past -- we might only have a day or two left
      before the beta period is over.

      (Some of you may have experienced a bug introduced in the August
      release, which kept AQ from being able to read the Reservation list
      until we put a patch out with a work-around for that bug. We'd like to
      prevent something similar from happening with this new release of nFS.)

      If you'd like to test AQ with the beta version of nFS, please:

      1) Download this file: http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/AQ-NFSBeta.zip

      2) Unzip the contents of this file into your AQ 12.1 program folder,
      which is normally:

      "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1"

      This will put a new file named, "AncquestNFSBeta.exe" into your folder.
      It shouldn't cause any problems with your normal version of AQ.

      3) When you want to run the test with the beta version of NFS, run this
      file. It will act just like your normal version of AQ, but will access
      the beta version of nFS rather than the normal New.FamilySearch.org.

      You will know that you are running the special version, because the
      title bar of AQ will have "[NFS Beta]" as part of the title, and when
      you login to nFS, you will see that you are signing into
      "ftbeta.FamilySearch.org" rather than "new.familysearch.org".

      Any changes you make in nFS while using this special version of AQ will
      be made to the beta database, not to the live data. So you can
      experiment and try things that you would normally might not do, and it
      won't affect the live data on nFS. Please test AQ's "NFS" features that
      you normally use to see if they all work as expected. If you find any
      problems, please let me know ASAP. ALSO, we recommend that you work on a
      copy of your AQ or PAF database while testing, rather than on your own
      permanent database.

      If you are unable to login to the beta version of NFS with this special
      version of AQ, try these two things:

      1) Make sure you are using the new LDS Account rather than an older NFS
      Login. The older login will no longer work in NFS once this build of NFS
      is released.

      2) See if you are set up to run in the beta of New FamilySearch. Go to
      "ftbeta.familysearch.org" in your browser. If your login credentials
      work there, they should work in AQ. If they don't work there, then you
      won't expect AQ to be able to log you into this special beta version of NFS.

      Thank you,

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software
    • Ken Doyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010

        The zipped file is corrupt at this end. I am currently beta testing. Well the test is about over.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
          All:

          Apparently the beta testing is over, as New.FamilySearch.org currently
          says it is the December 2010 version, and the NFS beta version of the AQ
          patch will no longer work.

          Due to some testing by others, we have found one bug that will be
          addressed in a new build in the next couple of days:

          If you work with an nFS individual in AQ who was born in the last 95
          years, you may get a message indicating that you will need to get
          permission from the nearest living relative. This message should only
          be presented when you attempt to reserve ordinances for the person. If
          you are not reserving ordinances, and you see this message, just ignore
          it. The new build will remove improper presentation of the message.

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2011
            All:

            New FamilySearch is now in beta test of the February, 2011 release. It
            is expected to be available until about February 14.

            I have just made available a special version of AQ that will work with
            the beta of New FamilySearch, rather than the live data on New
            FamilySearch.

            If you have the time and energy, please spend a bit of time over the
            next few days testing AQ with the new features of New FamilySearch. It
            is possible that New FamilySearch has introduced bugs that might affect
            AQ. If we discover these now, we might be able to get FamilySearch to
            fix the bugs before they release the February 2011 build.

            (Some of you may have experienced a bug introduced in the December 2010
            release, which causes an error 500 when looking up ordinance reservation
            information on some individuals. Unfortunately, even though we reported
            this to FamilySearch immediately, it has still not been fixed. But if
            you find other bugs, we may be able to alert FamilySearch in time to fix
            it before they release this new build.)

[...]

            IMPORTANT: When you prepare a test copy of your database to use in this
            testing, go to AQ's "FamilySearch" menu and use the "Unlink" tool to
            UNLINK ALL INDIVIDUALS. If you have used the Ordinance Reservation and
            Tracking System, first flush all reservations from AQ's database by: 1)
            Going into the "Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches" screen and Remove all
            records; 2) Going into the "Manage Batches" screen and remove all batches.

            To test with the Beta data of New FamilySearch, you need to flush all
            your old links, because the beta data is older, and may not have some of
            the records you have linked to. This would cause errors in AQ as it
            tries to locate missing nFS records.

            So during testing, start fresh with your test database and link records
            as you go during testing. Also if you are testing the Reservation
            system, make reservations in the beta system as you go.

            If you are unable to login to the beta version of NFS with this special
            version of AQ, try these two things:

            1) Make sure you are using the new LDS Account rather than an older NFS
            Login. The older login will no longer work in NFS once this build of NFS
            is released.

            2) See if you are set up to run in the beta of New FamilySearch. Go to
            "ftbeta.familysearch.org" in your browser. If your login credentials
            work there, they should work in AQ. If they don't work there, then you
            won't expect AQ to be able to log you into this special beta version of
            NFS.

            Thank you,

            Gaylon Findlay
            Incline Software

          • Terry Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2011
              Dear Gaylon...

              This particular version of nFS is for non-members and so tjwy could
              create a different log on to check out the features that will NOT show
              LDS data. There is a process to go through too. Just a little
              headsup!! ---- Terry